“Dump” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Ojai
San Diego, California, United States
“Dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Where do I start? 1. First night - When we checked in they overcharged 22.00 more than our reservation from them stated. Went to get that credited back and they charged and additional 22.00 before the clerk figured out how to refund us the full 44.00..2. CHEEZY room. Stunk like "old public swimming pool locker room". The bed was too small for the gargantuan frame. So there was a 6" gap between bed and frame on one side you could easily have your foot fall into or trip and break your neck on the hard, COLD tile floor. Lawsuit waiting to happen. Filthy blankets. Sheets too small for the bed. Decorations I can only call "Early Halloween". 3. 7 AM the pipes started knocking so hard it was impossible to sleep. 4. Horrible housekeeping. The maid's idea of "cleaning" was pulling the comforter over the bed in a very sloppy manner and leaving tissues and other stuff UNDER it. No clean sheets. II had eaten lunch on the patio and some food spilled on the floor, which they left. 5. Came back to hotel that evening and there was NO parking anywhere. Had to park by the trash cans and hoped not to be towed. 6. Second night there, we returned from a function at 1:00 AM and neither of our key cards worked on the door. Had to call someone to come let us in and it was very cold outside. Got inside and the room smelled like a sewer. 7. Again in the early morning the merciless BANG BANG BANG of the pipes knocking, and you could hear everything that was going on upstairs. Sounded like they were bowling with lead shoes on. IMPOSSIBLE to sleep through all of this STOMP, STOMP, STOMP, BANG, BOOM, etc. 8. No one told us about any amenities whatsoever when we checked in. We did get a 10% discount on our key card for a sandwich place that charged us 18.50 for a sub and 2 bags of chips.... DO NOT STAY HERE. Camping outside would be better. We stayed 2 nights and it felt like we hadn't slept in a week.

Room Tip: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. If you have to stay in nearby Ventura, you'll be very glad you did.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Terrible hotel. Here are my main complaints:

1. We were locked out of our room for about 30 minutes late on a cold Saturday night after returning from a wedding. Not sure why, but it had to do with our key getting demagnetized or the battery in the key reader conking out. No one was staffed at the Chantico at this hour and instead we saw a sign saying to call two emergency numbers. Each number did not ring and went straight to voicemail. My wife and I called several times while becoming increasingly cold/angry. Someone eventually checked their voicemail, and came after about 30 minutes to resolve the issue. Totally inexcusable that they do not staff the hotel at night, and that they provide "emergency numbers" that actually do not connect you with a real person.

2. Awful lighting in our hotel room and the "mirror" was more like a dirty piece of reflective glass. Could not see yourself in the mirror when getting ready, putting on makeup, etc.

3. Poor staffing in the hotel lobby. Went down to the lobby a few times to ask questions about things to do/see in Ojai, however no one was in the lobby to help us. They seem to have a significant staffing problem and you don't realize how important this is until you actually need someone to help you urgently (see point 1).

4. WiFi doesn't work. Not a deal breaker but might as well add this while I am racking up my complaints about this place.

5. Our shampoo also had no seal and a strange white fluid in it. Didn't know what it was at the time but now after reading some negative reviews I am sick to my stomach when thinking of what this might have been.

All in all an awful experience here and I encourage all of you to stay away. This all happened in March 2012.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011 via mobile

I was surprised to find that our room in person did not look like the picture on the web. It was perhaps a tired, worn version of it. Furniture in the room did not match - ranged from old looking (fake antique) to French provincial. Handles were missing from a few of the drawers and were resting inside of them rather than being reattached. The hair dryer on the wall didn't work and just hung there useless. A second one sat in a drawer. The light switch over the sink was hidden behind the microwave and we needed help from the front desk to locate it. Although we were two, the housekeeper insisted on leaving us just one hand towel every day. The alarm clock marched along to it's own beat, way out of sync with the real world. The hotel promises
a continental breakfast. In reality, there was no juice, a few packages of stale looking Danishes, a malfunctioning waffle machine and tepid hot water and coffee. On a positive note, the room was clean and quiet.

• Stayed November 2011
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed there for two nights in August. Nothing special. Rooms were clean but decoration was kitschy. The bed in our room was so tall that I needed to step on the stool to get on it! At nights we were chasing rats outside our room... They had free wi-fi which was great. Breakfast was coffee and some croissants only. Staff was really friendly. Pool was nothing special. The hotel was really cheap and ok for two nights but if you want to have a great time in Ojai I would recommend you something else.

Room Tip: Whatever you choose is the same thing. Prefer the rooms on the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Roseville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Booked 2 rooms for 1 night for our family/in-laws.The shampoo bottle was not sealed and was sticky. Our group all agreed the shampoo had been replaced with semen. Took it to front desk and was told if it would make us feel better we could clean the shower/tub cuz there were no more rooms available and no maid either. We were then given cleaning supplies! Days later, after much trying, I reached the owner and was told angrily that we were wrong. Everyone in our group agreed it was semen. Took bottle to city health department and they said they'd look into it. I am still in disbelieve about how the whole thing was handled.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Newport Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Visiting Ojai for a couple days, I decided to give this charming Spanish-styled Inn a first time try. For most of the Spring, I stayed at one of their 'sister' vacation-properties off the beach in Santa Barbara - a delightful experience. I was looking for a few days quiet and seclusion so chose the off-the-beaten-path Ojai property - unlike the neighboring '5-Star' name Resort around the bend. The most immediate appeal of the little Inn, is its typical Ojai-Artsy vibe. The rooms were decorated eclectically w/ some interesting pieces of furniture - my dresser for instance, was fashioned from an old piano! The bed-quiltings were plush and comfortable, and the sink was a raised 'bowl-style' w/ a an old time water-pump handle. The tile work in the bathrooms, colorful, and fun. But my favorite feature, were the private verandas off each and every room; perfect for sitting, warm Summer nights - such as the dates I checked in. What was NOT so perfect however, the 'too-close' proximity and poor acoustics - due to all outdoor tiling. The loud conversations of (several) neighboring guests were imposed upon my ears, while (trying) to relax w/ a Mimosa out on my patio. Worse, when you have multiple people in one room they ALL tend to migrate right out to their private verandas. Cigarette smoke blowing over to my patio off neighboring ones was (also) an irritant. I wanted and expected, more privacy than this, wasn't able to enjoy it - and left disappointed. Also, the room amenities were badly botched - considering the interior charm. For instance the coffee pot provided (2) mugs which were labeled IN-appropriately "The Red Lion"...? I wondered if the Management had snitched these from the RL hotel chain in an effort to economize(?) A very tacky touch indeed and not good marketing, to promote someone 'elses' brand! What were they thinking?? Also, the toiletries provided were skimpy and cheap looking - as were the Bath towels, rough, dirty-looking and absolutely of shameful quality to be presented w/ this type of a room. In Lobby, the 'Continental Breakfast' was marginal at BEST, and poorly presented. The coffee options were 'unusual' and had to be fumbled with to simply get a cup and go, and there were a lot of pre-packaged cheap items such as rolls, pastries and etc. Not very appealing so I just opted for the coffee in my room, and an old apple I'd brought - not much of a breakfast, but a whole lot healthier option. Further, the temps. were a sweltering 101 outside and air-conditioning in the Lobby area was badly needed - but none on! The 'reading-area' window seat was cute, but my effort to sit there was fleeting - felt more like sitting in a sauna!! I checked out one day early. Overall, the Desk staff were very polite w/ a pleasant manner and the cost of the room itself was within reason. (99.00 a nite) However, the place badly misses the mark on several 'internal' glitches. The building undeniably, has a stand-alone charm all its own - but its Management needs to seriously 'step up their game' if they ever hope for my return visit; far too many corners cut overall in an effort to minimalize expenses; unfortunatley, it shows.

Room Tip: Bring your own toiletries and bath toweling - the room offerings are useless, and the towels may scr...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Very friendly service, the pool was great, the room we stayed in was ok. It was clean and furnished decently, however there were hardly any drawers or places to hang or put clothes. The maids were very nice, but they use a lot of yucky chemically fragranced fabric softener and laundry soap that gave the room a bad smell. (Unless you like those fake scents. I don't). They had a fridge and microwave in the room which was nice. The balconies for the rooms are right out the front doors so they don't feel very private and we didn't use ours. The location was good, you could walk to downtown easily. The beds were reasonably comfortable. All in all a decent hotel, not anything amazing, though.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Chantico Inn? Share your experiences!