“Nice room but weird color” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
Tucson, Arizona
“Nice room but weird color”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This place has a great location near the harbor. The room was large and comfortable, but the huge door to the bathroom opened inward, which was awkward and eliminated space to get ready when it was open. I did not like the color scheme of the room. The walls were an ugly gold color. The breakfast was typical for this level hotel, nothing special.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My family of 5 have stayed here 2 times over the last 2 years. I come back only because it's the only hotel that can fit us comfortably in Oceanside. I always reserve a 2 Queen bed with Sofa bed.

My first stay was on the first floor facing the parking lot. I asked for upper floor to avoid the loud overhead noise, but my particular room was not available at the time of check in. Bad decision. Loud walkers upstairs until 11pm. I couldn't figure out why the A/C wouldn't kick in. The maintenance guy showed me that it takes 5 minutes for the unit to adjust. My mistake was I kept changing the temperature, which reset the timing. Ok fixed.

My 2nd stay was again on the first floor because the front desk clerk convinced me the end of the hall corner room was large and next to the pool. Ok sold. However, loud walkers again upstairs with jumping kids. Ugh. The room was next to the freeway onramp, which had the occassional loud motorcycle or truck. Kids went swimming so it was nice and convenient to just get in the room right away. I didn't experience hearing the outer door to the pool. The room door was misaligned so it wouldn't click into place. We forgot to tell the front desk clerk and called when we were on the road. He said he will take care of it, and he did. Great service.

Parking can be a challenge when returning past 9pm. I drop off the family and wait a little bit to see if anyone leaves. However, I have been lucky most of the time that someone is leaving when we returned. Both of my stays were on weekends.

There's a small market and a Wienerschnitzel a block away if you need groceries or fast food. I walked. We haven't tried the diner next to the hotel or the Mexican/Burger place across the street.

The plus to this hotel for us has been the hot breakfast. We are early risers in hotels because it's just not home. So my wife and I get the bacon or sausage (changes per day), eggs, oily hash browns (they really need to use a different container), fruits, bagels, muffins, Yoplait yogurt, toast, etc. We know from experience that items will thin out before closing with the large crowd getting up late. The host was working hard to keep up. I tipped her $10 before we left since she always accommodated me when I asked for more of something.

We'll still come back here, and will get the elusive upper floor eventually.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the parking lot do not get the freeway noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Found a great deal on Hotwire and was assigned this hotel for a late December family trip to Legoland and other San Diego attractions. The hotel is clean, looks like new construction with new fixtures. Has a nice clean breakfast included with friendly staff and service. Not much to complain about.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and you won't have any complaints.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel over Thanksgiving weekend and had a great experience. The hotel staff gave us a warm welcome and assigned us to a King Suite on the third floor. The room was spacious and very clean and although the hotel is located next to the highway, I had no complains about noise. The bed was incredibly comfortable with options of soft or firm pillows, and the bathroom very nicely made with fresh white towels. The breakfast in the morning had a variety to choose from. There were eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, fruits, cereal, etc. the breakfast attendant helped and worked as fast as possible as it was a pretty busy weekend. Loved the fact that they have a business center where i could print my boarding passes and the wireless internet in all the rooms was very convenient. On top of the great stay I had it was a very good price, I will definitely stay again when I'm in Oceanside.

Paso Robles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We booked here based on the reviews ~ wow. What a mistake! Was put in a room at the very end of the hallway next to an outside door which slams shut EVERY time it is opened. At all hours of the night. Liked the idea of free breakfast until we went at 8:30am ~ breakfast ends at 10 and everything was almost al gone. Toaster wasn't working so I couldn't make toast or bagels. The breakfast attendent yells at the hotel guests and the waffle maker was broken as well. The surrounding neighborhood is sketchy as well. The only nice thing was the bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: Just book somewhere else
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Nice King room - not a true suite. Has a pony wall separating king bed from pull-out couch. Enough room to lounge comfortably in couch area - room felt spacious (important when traveling with a platonic friend of the opposite gender) . Large bathroom. Fridge and microwave handy! Bed comfortable, and plenty of surface area and drawer space, although my buddy and I used all of the hangers In a small wardrobe) - just for a weekend. Roomy enough to fit both of our road bikes in the room. Pool unheated, hot tub nice (you will have to hunt to turn on the bubbles) - area clean, but freeway adjacent. Workout room had one exercise bike, one elliptical (I think; it may have been a treadmill) and one Bowflex-type multi-machine. Bottled water in gym, but empty. Further from beach (and on the other side of freeway) than I expected.
Breakfast - yes, you can eat paleo. Had whole fruit, shelled hardboiled eggs, peanut butter (if you will eat that) and a preformed egg patty/omelette thing. Also waffles (one waffle-maker does not beep when done) bagels/toast, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee/tea.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Loma Linda, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Word of advice, always ask for a room that is not adjoining. The family next door to the adjoining room was very noisy and my child and I had to switch rooms late at night which was a huge inconvenience. I asked the hotel clerk why we weren't told it was adjoining and he said it's not their policy. If you're going to put someone into a room like that at least give them some kind of discount for the inconvenience of it. The houses next door are sketchy and I didn't feel safe. As another reviewer stated, the hotel is very hard to find especially at night. I will not come back. You can't tell this by looking at their website.

Room Tip: Make sure not to get an adjoining room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites - Marina? Share your experiences!