“Want it to be better” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Want it to be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I come here frequently because I live nearby. I want the restaurant to be great and to do well. But it's just not up to snuff. Some of the dishes are fine. Have enjoyed the lobster ravioli and the caprese salad is quite good. Tonight I ordered the "pan seared sea bass". Very disappointing. If that was pan seared, I'll eat my hat. It was clearly baked, which is not the same at all. Do they really think we're too stupid to know the difference? I hope they get their act together, because a great Macaroni Grill would be a real asset to this area. I know great Macaroni Grill's exist (yes, even for a chain), but something is amiss at this one. I should also be clear that this is a management issue. The staff is always friendly and accommodating.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Oceanside, California
“Much ado about nothing; overpriced Italian food done terribly wrong”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Received a $100 gift card for Christmas and thought I had better use it so we tried the Oceanside location. The place was understaffed and overpriced. To start off the meal, the Caesar salad was tasteless. An Italian restaurant concept with a lousy Caesar salad? The rest of the so called Italian meal was pretty formulaic for the prices charged. The wine list was a joke. I felt like walking across the street to Trader Joe's for some decent red. Thank goodness the meal was paid for by the gift card, but what to do with the other $27.00 remaining of the gift card? Because I won't be going back. Yeah, I realize this is a chain, I just never realized how lousy a chain it was. Another over-rated chain concept.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oceanside, CA
“Wedding Day Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We visited the Macaroni Grill after we got married (small ceremony in Vista).
This place has the best spaghetti and meatballs. The complimentary bread is served with balsamic vinegar and virgin olive oil with grated parmesan. Excellent stuff.

They did modify the menu a few months ago, but it's still great food and excellent service.
Good selection of wines.

You might want to try their At-Home Chicken Marsala. The restaurant version has more flavor.
The restaurant has a bar to the side of the entrance, and on or near the 1st and the 15th - might want to see about reservations.

Great italian dinner out.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oceanside, California
“Fabulous, as Usual!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Another great evening!! Karla was our server-great, smiling face, terrific personality-from El Salvador. Manager, Elizabeth (from Rome) stopped by to check on us-wonderful salads, flatbreads, and wine specials (we brought half of it home, and will eat and drink it while watching Jimmy Fallon tonight). 5 stars, no: 6, maybe 7!!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
silverdale,wa
“Good time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We were doing some shopping in the area and I needed lunch. I wanted "In and Out" just because we don't have any where we live, but wife didn't and we wound up here. Nice and comfortable, but chiily A/C. Hostess very friendly and offered us a booth. Server was quite nice and very well versed on the menu and asked if we wanted lunch menus instead of dinner ones as the portions were smaller. I thought that was a nice touch. The wife ordered the house wine and she brought a whole bottle and said they charged by the level. Cool. It worked. It was also only 2.75 per glass, wow. Lunch for the wife was a combination 1/2 pomordoro soup and 1/2 turkey sandwich. Perfect size. I had the Brick meatball sandwich and had a salad with it. It was a nice sized green salad with a Mediterranean vinegerette. Loved the meatball sandwich, but had to eat it with a fork. I love a good meatball sandwich, but you can hardly ever pick them up and eat one because either the bread is too small or the meatballs too large.
The only takeaways for here were the temperature, too cold, and the bathrooms smelled like a sewer backup was happening. I told the hostess as we were leaving and before we got out the door, I saw the manager heading that way.