“Very basic...but ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Very basic...but ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

The Motel 6 is located directly by the exit of Highway 76, so it is really easy to get to. The downside: It is very noisy, especially in the rooms facing the highway. My room was on the 3rd floor...kinda quiet..but it was very, very basic. Very little furniture, just the tv, plain walls, not a single decorative item...not even a picture. There was no coffee-maker, no hairdryer, not even soap in the bathroom. The room was just big enough for a solo traveller. If a couple were to stay there, it would get crowded. The room was very clean, though. The carpet had actually been steam-cleaned the day I checked in. Wireless internet was available at a charge of 2,99$ per day. Staff was very friendly. Various fast food restaurants are just across the street. So for a one-night stay this place is just fine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Not just "often" but over many years. This property has its ups and downs but I believe is now on an "up." The staff were uniformly friendly, and the property seemed safer than it had in the past. The location is terrific, just off Hwy 78 and easily seen from the road, though this means extra room noise. The price is fine for the area, and there is coffee (nothing else) in the lobby from 7 AM. Easy walking distance to fast food, and no more than five minutes' drive to lots and lots of shops. Typical Motel 6.

Here are some things I didn't like too much: most places now have free WiFi, but Motel 6 still charges $2.99 a day. The bandwidth is limited and when things get too congested, the signal drops, after which you lose your website and are redirected to Motel 6 home page. What's up with that? Cheaper motels than this offer free WiFi, also considering that this "no frills" chain doesn't have things like shampoo available. Water in the bathroom tap came out in a needle spray so restricted that it is actually hard to wash hands. The shower however was "OK."

I will keep staying there as long as they stay open and don't start raising prices too much. It's really a decent value.

Room Tip: To minimize noise, try for the corridor linking the one side facing the surface road and the other...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in Oceanside for 2 days at the Motel 6, and we had a terrible stay. This hotel was inhabited by shady, noisy residents who had decided to live there. I actually got scammed into giving someone money at a gas station, just to find them staying down the street at our hotel! The walls were thin and we were kept up all night by the noise. The shower was awkward, the toilet seat was peeling, and the doors would not close without slamming them. The hotel is at a convenient location, it does have laundry facilities which came in handy on our trip, and it is pet-friendly. My girlfriend used to live in the area, and she recommends the Motel 6 in downtown Carlsbad if you want a good deal.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

It is pretty much a standard Motel 6, no frills but really close to the beach. The price was right, it met our needs which was a place to sleep and do laundry. The rooms are clean including the bathroom. Check in was easy in and out. There are a lot of military/ military family there, so it feels pretty safe. Pretty quiet, we were on the third floor but when you closed the window it did block all outside noise. Close to the freeway if all you require is a safe quiet clean place to sleep this fits the bill. I don't think I would plan a vacation stay here, but it is good for a weary driver.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
El Mirage, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed with my family for a quick beach trip. The room was very clean and when we needed extra towels the hotel was very accommodating. The pool was very clean. The location is terrific if you are unfamiliar with the area. Easy on and off the freeway with lots of local dining so you don't have to travel far. Best plus was the room was extremely affordable for a family.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Barnesville, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

pros:
friendly staff
walking distance to many restaurants and stores exmpl. Wendy's,Starbucks,7 Eleven,ect.
plenty of places for dog to go do his bathroom duties
I could hook up my DVD player and Xbox 360 for some other entertainment besides flipping channels for something to see on TV besides reruns and idiotic reality shows.

cons:
having the both of us show IDs? what is up with that? and then photo copying it?
security around the place,its a good thing but,then police circling the place like sharks as well.
$60 was not a bad price,but also having to pay for internet too and it was not that great.
little league team kids running up and down breeze way making too much noise.

would I stay here again? only on the weekdays when its cheaper,this place definately is NOT worth 99 dollars a night,not by a long shot.
did I feel safe staying here? yes
would I be leaving anything of valuable laying around in sight? NO!!! (common sense)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

First of all the last 2 reviews were for the wrong property...they stayed at the downtown location, so don't be fooled by the nice reviews. This property is not walking distance to the beach it's about 7 miles away.

Anyway, we stayed at this Motel 6 mainly because it was close to my Sisters home and we were there for a wedding and were only using this room to sleep, which I'm happy about! The check in cleark was nice and gave us all info needed but that was the only good point. We entered our room and boy was it tiny, I knew the beds were full size beds and not queen so I expected them to be small but the room itself was as small as my walk in closet! No bathtub only a stand up shower, which makes giving a 6 yr old a bath a bit difficult! The floors looked like they have never been cleaned, when we pulled back our sheets a huge spider crawled out of the bed. The next morning when going to the lobby for coffee, the pots were empty, none was brewing and the clerk was in the back talking on her phone and never came to the front to ask what we wanted....COFFEE hello! We walked across the street and bought coffee. Then later we went to the desk to ask them if we could have a do not disturb sign for the door, we didnt want service or anyone in our room, we were told they don't have them and said we could write it on a piece of paper with a sharpe and tape it on the door?? We told her no service please, and when we returned to our room it had been serviced. They also did not provide shampoo, guess it's a good thing I brought my own but some in my party did not.

You really get what you pay for at this motel...which isn't much.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Oceanside? Share your experiences!