“You get what you pay for...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
Cape Town
“You get what you pay for...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Staying in Carlsbad/Oceanside in August is not the cheapest exercise...so I hunted around and chose this place saving myself a lot of dollars for the 8 night stay...it was business.
This place did the job. It's not a 1 star place, no matter what others might say here, it's a rock solid budget hotel that does the job well if you get your expectations right.
So, good points...it's very convenient to the I-5 if you need to commute and I did. It's got great internet connectivity that's free...and that's a plus. It's got a decent desk where you can do some work...it's got a fridge for your drinks and a microwave. The television did the job and it's clean and functional. Breakfast is included and it's OK.
So...the not so goods...the room is a bit small if you've got a family...but if it's you or your partner you're OK. The bathroom is functional but no more. The room cleaning did the room, Room 137, consistently late and sometimes after 4.00pm which is not acceptable. The hotel is not elegant...it's a square block by the side of the road. Let's call it a functional design in the US motel style.
The staff are very friendly and took in 3 parcels for me reliably.
I preferred the Days Inn, where I stayed last time, but it was significantly more expensive this time.
This place is OK if being on a budget is your aim. It's OK. I'm sure that there are plenty of better hotels in the area but if you do stay here it'll do the job and you won't pay a fortune.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Dirty!!!! Disgusting!!! Unkept!!! Tiny, crammed rooms. Soooo overpriced. Sleep in car but dont stay there. I booked on priceline and got a great price yet when i arrived they didn't not have a room available. When i made my frustration obvious they "suddenly" gave me a room for an add'l $15 , not much but did not fulfill the Priceline reservation. Receptionist claimed they had a large group coming in. Made no sense. in addition, pic gallery displays this hotel inaccurately. Rooms are nothing of what u see in the gallery. Beware!!! Too good to be true? It is!!! I left first thing in the morning and will never return!!

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed there two nights
Pro
+ walking distance to the ocean (15 min)
+ nice breakfast
+ nice staff
+ plenty of parking

-Con
- VERY SMALL ROOMS.
- rooms a bit bit unkept. There was mold on the shower hardware.. Kinda gross looking.

over all:

I was glad to get out of that place when we left. it was really small for a family of four and to top things off , we wewre disappointed with the maintaince of the place. We won't go back to that place, it of you are on a budget this place would be fine. We left feeling a little disappointed because we could have gotten something a lot nicer for $10 and I would have certainly paid it.

Room Tip: Not the best hotel. Run down and not really worth the $100pr night price.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Property was filthy, same mop bucket with filthy water sat at the bottom of the stairs for both days we were there, Garbage all over the property, Lint from the dryers blows all over, beware when walking down rear stairs, if the dryer is on you will get blasted with hot air and lint!
Room was very small, Bathroom was nasty, Mold in the shower, Stains in the carpet, Room needs some serious updating

Room Tip: Get a room away from the freeway!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Homestead, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We traveled from Florida and needed a hotel very close to Camp Pendleton for less than $100 a day which was perfect. The hotel is close to everything, the pier, the beach, I-5, highway 78 & 76. The room was small but adequate and very clean with microwave, refrigerator, coffee machine and excellent working A/C! Continental breakfast was a little disappointing since they had no waffle, otherwise I recommend hotel!

Big Bear Lake, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I were in Oceanside recently for our son's helicopter squadron's "family day" at Camp Pendleton and in need of lodgings for the weekend. Unfortunately, it fell during "Comicon", the mega-convention in San Diego and hotels/motels for 50 miles around were booked solid. After some searching, my wife settled on the Quality Inn, just off Interstate 5 at Mission Blvd. Because of Comicon and "demand pricing", the room was $400 total for the two nights, but we had no other viable choices. Although our son (who is more familiar with the locale), thought we'd be disappointed with the hotel due to the nearby card club/casino, we were pleasantly surprised to find it clean, well-furnished and our neighbors for the most part quiet and civil. Obviously we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, which was small, but it was adequate to our needs. The complimentary breakfast was also adequate, but as others have noted, the seating off the lobby is inadequate unless you arrive early. The worst aspect of the hotel is the flipside of its proximity to I5, i.e., the road noise. However, by turning on the A/C and wearing ear plugs, it became a non-issue and we slept soundly. While we would not have ordinarily stayed at this Quality Inn, in a pinch it is adequate.

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side from the freeway are somewhat quieter.
San Dimas, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Long, but read on before you even consider booking a room here...

The good:

-the staff, from cleaning people, to breakfast staff, to front desk could not be kinder, honestly – they were SOOOOO kind
-hotel is about 1/2 mile from beach and Oceanside Pier (need to walk or drive there, but a straight shoot down Mission Street)
-although right off freeway (great if you need quick access to main roads), you could not hear the noise in the rooms
-water pressure is good as was temperature
-pool was nice and area was clean
-morning coffee was terrific
-lots of great finds in town from restaurants to shops – very central
-wonderful beach

The bad:

-bed bugs (need I say more) – we’d wake up with bug bites each morning (in 1 of the 3 rooms/not all 3)
-although a “budget” hotel (I don’t know if you consider $147/AAA rate per night on weekend budget), this was so much lower than any other budget hotel we’ve stayed at (we had low expectations, but not this low)
-rundown (mold in corners of bathrooms, showers, and in fixtures behind toilet and sink, shower grate not connected to floor of shower, outlets nowhere near mirrors, closet doors not hinged/kept falling off, wall air conditioner units very loud and rundown)
-although 3 designated non-smoking rooms (they even had little signs outside each room stating so), all 3 rooms reeked of smoke each day
-door on handicapped room does not lock unless you slam it shut with force (hard to do for an elderly handicapped person)
-every morning breakfast trash/boxes were placed right outside curb next to handicapped room which made handicapped person step off curb and back on curb in order to get to breakfast in lobby (accident waiting to happen)
-my elderly mother fell upon arrival right outside front lobby - staff was kind, but no report filed, no first aid kit offered - my dad had to leave my mom (we weren't there yet), find a drug store, purchase first aid items to clean her wounds - when we arrived we noticed they still hadn't changed her bloodied linens from the fall, we asked for new ones which took about 2 hours from that point (understaffed, but kind staff), when it finally arrived, the blanket looked so old and unclean and no sheets came, again we had to ask for sheets which took quite a while to arrive
-cleaning needed to be requested late in the day due to it not being done, which took a while
-toilet paper and towels often not replaced after cleaning until we requested or till later in day
-drawers in dresser stick and cannot be opened on some
-breakfast area is so small for amount of people in hotel you could not possibly eat there or move around with ease – LOTS of waiting for others in order to be able to move or to get food – VERY small space for amount of people – food was OK/acceptable
-toiletries often not replaced
-found old toiletries in one of the rooms behind ironing board on floor from previous guests
-freezer door missing from fridge
-ice machine was often out and dirty around that area
-rooms are EXTREAMLY small (double bed rooms have bed entrance only available from central walkway due to sides of beds being up against the wall/air conditioning unit/window)

Worst:

-wrote email about experience with hotel on Quality Inn’s/Choice Hotel’s customer service web site on 7/15/13 – it is 7/20/13 and no response had been received
-called customer service line on Choice Hotel’s website today and customer service representative took quite some time (with silence on other end) looking up my email only to let me know they’d received it and would get back to me – their website said response within 72 hours (apparently not so) – she was not very helpful and seemed bothered by request – fortunately calls are recorded, so they’d be able to access call to verify

Bottom Line:

We’ve stayed at top-end hotels and budget hotels in past. We expected a budget hotel, but this is unacceptable and priced way too high for what we got. Upper management has more accidents waiting to happen if they do not figure out how to make a handicapped-accessible room safe for those who need it. My advice, do NOT stay here. Sadly, I feel for the staff; honestly…just about the kindest staff I’ve met, but they are so understaffed they could not help you even if they wanted to. My hope is that the staff is not chastised – they did the best they could with who they had there – but I hope the company looks at how their hotel is run and how they conduct business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn I-5 Near Camp Pendleton? Share your experiences!