“nice place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
naperville
“nice place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Everything was very good and the staff was excellent. We are going back in December and look forward to our stay we are from Illinois and we found this to be a very nice hotel which is conveniently located to expressways and shopping. There was coffee, fruit, muffins and breakfast bars every morning. We were there over the labor day weekend and found it to be very quiet which surprised us,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Larry - Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm thrilled that you found our hotel location convenient and suitable for your needs. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast. Also, I am glad to hear that our staff provided you with exceptional service during your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I like this Extended Stay America. All the customer service are very friendly. I stayed for two long years. The only thing I did not like is during summer the rate is very expensive. Almost $70/day, almost $2000 a month. Sometimes the parking lot is a full house. I almost cannot park but at the very end of a parking lot. Also there is a hustler I do not know how many they are. Be aware. I will walk a long way to get into my room. I do not mind the cigarette smoke because I am not very sensitive. I cannot smell. I do not have sense of smell.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

At first i was nervous to stay in a hotel but i was really impressed with the customer service and the rooms. The staff here is amazing, really friendly and they're easy to talk to :) I really enjoyed my stay here, i have no complaints. My favorite staff members were Josie, Angelica and Anthony :) they were really helpful and they made my trip more enjoyable. I really did feel like this was "home away from home". I would stay here again :D

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hollie - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for your wonderful comments. It's great to hear that our staff provided you with such great service, especially Josie, Angelica and Anthony. I will be sure to share your remarks with them and the entire team.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
So.Cal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We booked this hotel for 3 nights while moving from one home to another in the area. The price and location were great, and we thought having a kitchen would really be convenient. We specified a non-smoking room and had it confirmed.

We arrived in the evening exhausted after a day with the movers clearing out the house. At the check-in desk, we confirmed that we had a non-smoking room. The hallways smelled of smoke and mildew, but we hoped our room would be OK. As soon as we opened the door, we were greeted with the horrible smell - a mixture of stale smoke and a powerful room freshener spray that was a feeble attempt to cover it up. The window was wide open in another attempt to dispel the smoke, so obviously they knew it was supposed to be a non-smoking room. We called the front desk, but were told "no OTHER non-smoking rooms" were available.

The other problem that we quickly noticed was that the kitchen idea wasn't a great one. The refrigerator was horribly noisy and kept switching on and off all night long. The countertops had a sticky spot that I discovered when the newspaper I set down stuck to the it. There was no shampoo or lotion, no tissues. Towels were threadbare and dingy. There was lots of noise from the street and a busy freeway which we couldn't avoid because we needed the window open to try to minimize the odors. The only good things I can say is that the bed was reasonably comfortable and there was decent Wi-Fi in the room.

Because of the demands of our moving process, we didn't have time to search for another place to stay, so went back the 2nd night. By the 3rd night, we elected to sleep on the floor in our new home rather than go back to the hotel.

If price is your only concern, and you don't mind the smell of smoke, and have very low expectations, then this may be an OK place to stay. We found it very unattractive and depressing, and won't ever stay in any Extended Stay America again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, try to get a room on the back side where at least you won't have the stre...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was the worst....(let me say that again)....WORST hotel I've ever in my entire life had the misfortune of staying at. Don't let any cheap costs fool you...you don't even get what you pay for. The rooms STINK of fish and mildew. We even bought an air freshener, but the smell wouldn't get out. House keeping was a joke - they only come once a week, and make sure you're in the room when they come because they try to skip vacuuming or changing the sheets. Don't even get me started on the staff...this one girl that seemed to work mornings had the WORST attitude I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with - she NEVER had the pitiful grab-n-go breakfast re-stocked or coffee made. FIVE mornings in a row I had to sit at the front and wait for her to make a new pot after having to bring it to her attention. Then I had the pleasure of dealing with her snotty attitude after bringing it to her attention. The only friendly employees that seemed to care about helping were Josie and Anthony. We stayed here for a month because we needed a kitchen, and at LEAST half the nights we were here I had to call anywhere from midnight-330am complaining about loud tv's, stomping and banging above us, barking dogs (yes, they allow dogs which seems to translate only to the small yippy ones), and loud chatter. The walls are less than paper thin so don't expect any peace and quiet. The staff had to call us FOUR times to confirm when our check-out date was - talk about not having your s@#! together! Hallways were constantly dirty, I witnessed employees straight up yelling at each other in the front lobby, and the beds are uncomfortable and stained. Parking lot is constantly full of truckers and I get the feel this is where a lot of low income citizens make their home. I smelled weed coming through the vents on our last night here. Also, NO SWIMMING POOL; NO BBQ's. Low and behold as I'm typing this, all the fire alarms just went off due to a bunch of young children and an inattentive mother almost lighting the building on fire - Fire dept. came to fan out the place as the hallway on the first floor was completely filled with smoke. I can now here other patrons hacking up lungs outside. Judging by other reviews, this wasn't just an isolated incident we experienced here - this is how things are constantly. Not sure how this place is allowed to be in business. Be aware, be very, very aware. If I can deter even one poor soul from enduring this place for even a night, I’ve spent my time wisely in writing this review.

Room Tip: Simple....stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that your room had a strong odor and our staff did not attend to your needs in the proper way. Please know, I am working with our housekeeping staff to ensure an issue with smell is not repeated in the future. As well, I am coaching our staff on how to provide better service moving forward. As this hotels manager, I can assure you I do not condone unprofessional behavior and will work to make sure it is not repeated. Lastly, I truly apologize that I disturbed you with calls about your check-out date. Due to high occupancy and fluctuating dates, we wanted to confirm your room was secure as needed.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at sdo@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Palm Springs, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Booked a "Non-smoking" room 45 days before arrivel & it was listed on the "Hotel Confirmation" sheet-as a non-smking room. Called two days before arrival, hotel manager said sorry no non-smoking rooms available!! After pointing out that the conirmation sheet lists "Non-Smoking", was put on hold by manager, came back with--"I found a "non-smoking" room for you. Got to hotel room---room smelled smoke, cigarette burns on bathroom floor, no bath products in bathroom--light over desk did not work--room & hotel needs a good cleaning---will not stay there on our next trip to San Diego.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had a coupon for this hotel, so I did not pay full price, but even with that, I don’t think this hotel provided exceptional value. I understand that their market demographic likely does not include me because I do not stay for an extended period of time and perhaps the people that do stay here long-term find it a better value. In any case, on a positive note, the staff was friendly and the room was clean. The location is also close to stores, shopping and the highway.

On the downside, the breakfast was simply a few items to “grab and go” and I assume the belief is that people who are here for an extended stay do not need breakfast because they have a kitchen in their room. The rooms were average and the kitchen in my room was dated. Overall a decent place to stay, but nothing spectacular.

Room Tip: Take a room on the side away from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so glad that our staff provided you with such great service and that your room was clean. Still, I am sorry to hear that you found our hotel to be slightly dated. Please know, we strive to offer our guests a great, clean hotel to enjoy. With that in mind, we are scheduled to receive a refresh in the coming year, which will assist us in attaining this goal.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sdo@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Been to Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside? Share your experiences!