“rude staff and golf balls” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #15 of 28 hotels in Oceanside
wahington dc
“rude staff and golf balls”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

checked in
1st room was a bit run down and not that clean.
2nd room was better, but bathroom an floor and kitchen counter dirty
cleaned myself
u got to beg for towels everyday since they don't clean rooms ever day.
if u ask for some cleaner for your room
some will give it to u and others comp an attitude like what for u don't clean ever day so who else is going to clean my room.

next thing
its right next to a golf course so u will find golf balls hits all over your car, i didn't notice until i found one still on the hood where it must have bounced off the wind shield because u could see the imprint of small balls all over the wind shield like it wasn't on accident .

so watch out
you might have a cracked windshield when you leave here.

Room Tip: watch out for the golf balls
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies. As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate. It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My husband and me decided to get away for the weekend and we decided to give Extended Stay a chance, I did not have a bad experience, the room was clean and the staff was very helpful. I never use the complementary soaps anyway therefore I can't comment on that. I do like the fact that it has a kitchen which includes utensils, we were able to save by cooking our own breakfast... that to me is a PLUS! Everything is nearby, Westfield Mall is literally around the corner, a few restaurants and even a Target. Unless you plan to take your vacation in a hotel I do recommend Extended Stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Extended Stay hotels aren't for anyone who wants a luxury experience -- there's no daily maid service (unless you pay extra), and no little extras like shampoo or lotion or ice buckets and mini-bars. This hotel was actually better than many in terms of large, bright rooms, which were well furnished and very clean. On the other hand, our room was situated directly over the front door, which banged loudly whenever anyone came in or out, and no one was able to either fix the pneumatic door closer find us another room (in the interest of full disclosure, we did get a one-night refund for the inconvenience, but only after many loud complaints). The kitchen had no pots and pans, and while someone did bring those items up, we can to go down to the desk to get a roll of toilet paper. As far as location, you certainly need a car if you're going to stay here, but if you have one there are plenty of shopping malls, supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. just up the road and easy access to the freeway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the "garden" side, on one of the higher floors
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We went to visit our kids for New Years & decided to stay closer to where they live, so we rented a room for 3 nights at Extended Stay next to Hooters. Big mistake.
Hotel interior in the main area is fine, but venture out of that and the carpet is nasty.
We checked into our room. It was nice, except the counter wasn't clean. Bathroom was nearly out of toilet paper.No dish soap or shower soap either. Walls and floors are paper thin.
Mistake was accepting a room near the stairwell. I'll not do that again. Traffic noise resinated into the room all day & night. Then we had people in the room above us who liked to pace back and forth. We called the front desk to complain. Figured someone would call us back, but never did. So I called again and then finished listening to the message on the front desk message service and was informed by the recording no one was at the front desk. In disbelief I went to the front desk, sure enough a sign on the front desk said no staff available from 11pm until 6 am. So, if you arrive late to check in you are screwed. That wasn't our problem. The problem was the a-holes above us had party. We were to leave the next morning to go home. Druggy types covered in tatoos with Gang tatoos like they walked off the show "gangland". Seriously!! A homeless looking man was laying in the stairwell on a cellphone when I passed by on my way back from the front desk, he was either drunk or on drugs & stunk, it was very scary. We couldn't get anyone to help us, no staff on duty so we ended up calling the police. They arrived about 10 minutes later, knocked and they people wouldn't come to the door so the police yelled they were going to break the door in and send in a dog, and finally the police broke up the party. So, from 10pm to 2 am we had to deal with a issue the staff should have taken care of, if there had been any. God forbid something really bad would have happened to someone. There would be NO one around to help. Had I known that NO staff was on duty we would NOT have stayed here at all. I highly recommend that other travelers go else where. This place does NOT care about your safety.
We were offered a refund & to stay for late check out but the people above us woke us up stomping and yelling at 7 am... I called and thanked the front desk, but told them we would be leaving as soon as I got a shower we can't sleep with the noise of these people. Even after calling the police on them they did not care about anyone elses privacy or sanity.
As for the people who got the police called on them, they did NOT get evicted. Amazing I know... this hotel just does not care. So please do NOT stay here. You will regret it as we did.
I even called corporate and they did nothing either.. big waste of time.

Room Tip: STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL. There is NO staff on duty after 11pm and you are at your own risk, litera...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We are in San Diego for pleasure, but on a budget. We hoped to stay here and cook some of our own meals to save some money. Upon arriving, the room looks like the photographs on line, but more run down. After reading all the reviews I was nervous, but it was not terrible... not great either. To stay one night and have access to the internet it was $71 (after taxes)... if you can get a deal through priceline for $50-55 it might be worth it. For us, because we're flying, we'd have to go buy so much (dish soap, cooking supplies, plastic utensils, etc.) it isn't worth staying here. If you're traveling with a family and driving you could easily bring some of these things and make it cost-effective. There is literally one fork, one spoon, and two knives. There is only one pot for cooking. It is reasonably clean though not immaculate. For some reason our room smells of BenGay? The hallways do stink of grease and everyone else's cooking. We have a pretty view of a golf course outside our window. Our biggest reasons not to stay? Noisy- we can hear everytime someone walks or uses water/toilet/shower upstairs (as loudly as if they were in the room with us). Value- we don't actually have enough here, provided- to be able to cook meals. Plus, its not clean enough that I'm not tempted to go buy cleaning supplies and clean the kitchen and dishes just to feel comfortable using them. I don't really want to clean on my vacation. No, this isn't disgusting but we can't relax here. My concern is that anything we'll cook will make our clothes and bedding stink. The bed was pretty comfortable, everything was in working condition, and the area is nice/safe with target, restaurants, groceries, etc close by. I'm writing this because I was really anxious about coming so I only booked one night on a "we'll see basis." If I was driving in with a family, I would totally make this work, but with just two of us flying its not cost effective/nice enough/convenient to attractions for $70ish a night. Hope this helps!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Compared to my stay at various Hiltons, this was rather bare and although facilities are provided for an extended stay, it has a remote location with only a Hooters next to it! Getting anywhere from here can be a pain if you do not have your own vehicle as you would need to catch atleast a couple of buses to travel. There is no regular housekeeping! Rooms come with a hob , microwave, fridge etc and you can do some cooking yourself. The absence of nearby restaurants makes this a necessity rather than a bonus! This place would not be very high on my list of places to stay at.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Carlsbad, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

My title says it all...!
Ridiculous that the gardeners come so early...I complained to front desk, I was told that it was just the time they come and sorry... so the gardeners continued to trim hedges, blow, weedeat for an hour or so right outside my window..! Forget about sleeping in, it was so loud in my room even the TV didn't drowned the noise. I came on business and worked until 1am. Plus the room smelled of tobacco smoke when it was suppose to be a NON-smoking room, bugs dead on the window seals, a roach and ants, not very clean, couldn't see out the window because all the water spots from sprinklers, looks like a couple year build up!! LOL...

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside? Share your experiences!