“Clean Rooms and Quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Oceanside at the Coast

You added Days Inn Oceanside at the Coast to your Saves list
Days Inn Oceanside at the Coast
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1501 Carmelo Drive, I-5 & Oceanside Harbor Drive, Oceanside, CA 93140   |
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
Adelanto, California
“Clean Rooms and Quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

When i started to read every one else's reviews, i was real skeptical about staying here. But thought id give it a shot, cuz the price was real good and the motel is right by the beach. I had stayed their before years back, but when i started to read the reviews, i had thought the motel had gone down since id last been their. So i purchased the rooms online. I got a joining room because my friends and i were going to celebrate New Years eve together. We arrived and i did the paper work. The receptionist was fine. Quiet. Not friendly. Just doing her boring job, type of thing. But i was surprised on how clean the rooms were tho. I had gotten the king bed. They had the fridge, microwave, coffee, iron, ironing board, and hair blower. My husband was pleased to in how clean everything looked. So id say my stay was just fine. No loud music or anyone being loud or disrespectful. Id definitely stay here again. And the walk to the marina is real short and convenient. But one minor thing was where my room was located the train does go by and it can be real loud at times. Especially if you have the window open. Also, they do have a security guy walking around the motel and parking lot, so that was a plus.

• Liked — How close we were to the marina
  • Disliked — Nothing at all
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
sambisk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for nine days. We chose this hotel because it is about a five minute walk to the beach, but it is still reasonably priced. One thing that you have to remember is that you get what you pay for. The rates aren't high and therefore the hotel isn't ritzy.

Cleanliness

Our hotel room was clean. I'm pretty picky when it comes to cleanliness and I felt comfortable. Also, I felt that the maids did a good job keeping the room clean during our stay. However, some of my family members stayed in a different room and it had a funny (but not horrible) smell. So that is something to keep in mind.

Location

The location is great. It is only a short walk to harbor village, which has restaurants and shops, and to the beach. This is one of the main reasons we chose to stay here; we were able to be close to the water without having to pay hundreds of dollars per night.

The hotel is also not too far from downtown oceanside. There are a lot of good restaurants and shopping there too.

Noise

We didn't experience much noise. However, we were on the second floor and our room faced the side of the parking lot, so there wasn't much going on there. However, I think that the people in rooms that faced the front or back experienced more noise during the night.

The service was OK. However, when I called to book the room they did not want to honor the discount offered on the website (a percentage off if you stay 3 or more days). I had to look up CA law on false advertising and bring it to their attention before they finally honored the discount. That was a really annoying experience.

Pool

The pool was nice. It is fairly small, but it was clean and refreshing. The hot tub was also clean, but probably needed to be a few degrees warmer.

Safety

Other reviewers complained about the hotel not being safe. However, during my nine night stay I never felt unsafe. My family was there with children and they too never felt unsafe.

• Liked — Proximity to the beach.
  • Disliked — The decor of the rooms. It was outdated.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We stayed three nights...a Friday, Sat. and Sun. All three nights we were awakened periodically by loud shouting from outside, and people running up and down the stairs. This went on until 2 or 3 in the morning!! It was like being in the middle of a frat party. The room was ok....although the sink wouldn't drain properly and that was kind of gross. Some mold in the bathroom. It was close to the harbor, but to get there you had to hike down this rocky dirt path...which was unlit and a little treacherous at night. A lawsuit waiting to happen in my opinion. All in all, a not very pleasant stay. Will not be staying there again.

• Liked — Near the beach
  • Disliked — The noise.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

Stayed here in July 2008 for 13nights. The welcome at the front desk was poor to begin with but when we got to the room we were happier, it was clean and nice. The walls however were very thin and we could hear everything the people next door were saying. We could live with that though. What we could not live with was the rudeness of the staff! And the fact that they say they offer "free internet access" when in fact they offer free internet access for 15minutes a day! One day I was checking my email...quickly....due to the fact that the computer is located in front of the reception desk where the staff stand and stare as you use the computer! Then i looked at the clock and realised i had been on for 18minutes.....3 minutes over! So i signed out and went to leave....i wasnt overly worried as no-one was waiting to use the internet. I went to leave the reception when the manager (a woman) stepped out in front of me and began shouting at me!! As apparently i had been on too long.....3 whole minutes too long! She then tells me that they charge $1 a MINUTE for every minute you spend over your permitted 15minutes!!! I told her she was being ridiculous and stormed out....from then on every time i would try to use the internet i was stared at and made to feel like a criminal. Do not go to this hotel...the staff need a serious attitude make-over.

• Liked — The cleanliness
  • Disliked — The rude staff, ridiculous rules about internet access, not welcoming.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The location was ok, the room was somewhat clean. The walls were paperthin...and we heard people having loud s__all night. That was brutal, but I could actually deal with those things.
I used the hotel safe, as I always do when i have anything of value with me. I put my passport and jewellery in there. The only other person that had entered my room, other than myself and my friend, was the maid. Well, to my complete disbelief when I opened the safe to pack up--my passport was missing. I of course ransacked the room looking for it, before going and speaking to the manager. Well, when I told the manger of the incident, he automatically blamed me. I asked him if anyone other than himself could get into the safe, just as a normal question...and he just freaked out at me. I asked if there were any security cameras I could view to see if anyone came in my room...he said no. My friend then noticed a TV with security camera's in plain view. He had lied to my face. He was twitchy and yelling at me in front of other guests. He offered absolutely no support, took no responsiblity for his hotel...and made me feel worse than I already did. I wasn't accusing him, I just wanted his help in the situation. In anycase the whole thing is very fishy. The maids that work there are obviously either immigrants or are illegally working here...none of them speak any English...and I wouldn't be surprised if someone had alterior motives....
All in all I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. It is not safe, the customer service is probably the worst I have ever experienced --and when you are trying to enjoy a couple days by the water the last thing you want is to feel unsafe. I would recommend any other place in oceanside over this one. AVOID IT!

• Liked — that it was near the beach
  • Disliked — the service, the fact that my passport was stolen from my room safe
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
daysinnoceanside, GM at Days Inn Oceanside at the Coast, responded to this review, October 22, 2008
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete this survey. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed and in this case have been addressed to the best of our ability.
If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 760-722-7661

Nayan Patel - GM
Days Inn Oceanside, California
Clovis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

Hotel is convenient, just west of the I-5. Situated behind the Del Taco, could be a little rowdy/noisy from their customers hooting/hollering in the parking lot. This hotel served a lot of travelers & families and not just the Marines. Outside premises were clean and the front desk clerk was very, very accomodating & friendly to me, my spouse & 6 year old. Parking is tight for larger SUVs but there were plenty of spaces for our 2-night stay (Thurs/Fri). Our room was upstairs facing the parking lot but come to find out there are rooms facing the harbor. Only thing to consider about the harbor facing rooms is that the Metro Rail & Amtrak passes by but I never heard a train whistle. My husband could hear people talking down in the parking lot but all I heard was one car alarm go off. I found the room clean & comfortable and for an $85 room, the beds were more than I expected. Lots of pillows, clean sheets, and firm enough that I passed out from exhaustion and didnt hear people in the next rooms. All the rooms had an outdated microwave & standard mini-fridge. Water in shower stayed hot enough for us three to bathe. Maid service came & cleaned very well the next day. The continental breakfast was minimal at best. Cereal, pastries, coffee, juice, fruit.....but hey how can you complain when there's no extra charge?? This hotel is within walking distance to the harbor restaurants and bars. And Oceanside beach & harbor is very nearby as well. This is a good hotel for watching your dollars this summer. I would stay again.

• Liked — Convenient to everything in Oceanside & northern San Diego county. And very close to the beach!
  • Disliked — Not enough staff to re-stock breakfast items. No ice in vending machine.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mukilteo, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

We picked the Days Inn based on price and the fact that the reviews tended to be a little better than other Oceanside properties in the same price range. I think that some of the reviewers were a bit harsh. It's not a 5-star resort and I wasn't expecting one. It was clean, quiet and convenient. For a weekend visit, what more do you need? Yes you could hear train noise, but they were short, fast passenger trains and the noise was very transient. It's not like the hotel is on a main freight route. I expect to stay there again.

• Liked — Location and access to Camp Pendleton
  • Disliked — Continental breakfast was a bit skimpy
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Days Inn Oceanside at the Coast? Share your experiences!