“very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
“very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed 5 nights in July on family vacation.

Hotel is about 10 minutes to Oceanside beaches, about 30-40 min. to San Diego's Mission Bay area (in light traffic). It seems like a newer hotel with modern decor and accents. The room kitchenette appliances are stainless steel and countertops have a granite finish with ceramic glass stove top. It looks sharp! The bed was king sized and quite comfortable, incl. good pillows.

Spacious washroom & vanity, bedroom closet has a good shelf configuration. A/C was concealed in its own closet and controlled by thermostat. Worked well and pretty quiet.

Meal table seats only 2 people. Sofabed is modern and fairly comfortable. There was a reclining chaise with ottoman, too.
We stayed in a suite that was handicap accessible, so there was no bathtub. The washroom was separate from the sink/vanity room and had a shower and toilet. The shower had a sloped floor drain with curtain, seat and 2 shower heads (one fixed, one hand held). The water was not contained in the shower area behind the curtain, leaving the whole bathroom floor wet. So floor drain design wasn't good.

Also, you have to pass through the vanity room to get to both the bedroom and washroom. It is a poor passage layout because there are 3 large doors in small area all opening toward the others which causes the doors to bang together (it became a joke).

Hotel staff was very friendly, personable, and professional. The lounge area is comfortable and is equipped with 2 online computers and a printer (all free to use). The patio is nice and includes a large BBQ, tables, chairs, umbrellas and a gas fire pit. The pool was refreshing and was salt filtered (no chlorine). The deepest end was only 5 ft. The deck had many chairs and loungers and a few tables. There was also a hot tub.

Free hot breakfasts were very good and menu changed daily. Mon - Wed from 6-7:30pm a reception was offered free to guests which included tasty foods (different meal each day) and a variety of beverages including coffee, wine, beer, and sodas.

Free WiFi is available in lobby and rooms. However, signal was only OK and they had some problems. IT was troubleshooting and fixing it.

There is plenty of free parking. It is located about 5 minutes drive from shopping areas and movie theatres. There are also a bar, pizza place, and a few small businesses directly across from the hotel.

BTW, There is a treasure hunt for the kids that takes them throughout the hotel. Nice touch!

Our stay was pleasant and we paid using Marriott points program. If in this area again I would gladly stay here.

Room Tip: Do not take a handicap accessible room unless you need one.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We recently returned from a wonderful stay at Residence Inn in Oceanside. Our room was exactly what we needed while traveling with two small children. It was extremely spacious, clean, quiet, comfortable and had a kitchen with a full size refrigerator. We brought our own snacks and food, but there are nearby grocery stores or the hotel can pick up food for you at no extra charge for the service. There is a free breakfast each morning with a good selection (yogurts, cereal, oatmeal, waffles, and hot meal offerings). The food wasn't fantastic, but it was decent. We ate it all three mornings we were there.

Pros of the hotel - the staff was very friendly and helpful, free breakfast, people really seemed to enjoy the pool area (though we didn't utilize it), great rooms

Cons - The location isn't exactly ideal (a bit far from the beach and other attractions,) but if you don't mind a little drive, it's not an issue. The fitness center had large windows facing the pool area as well as the first floor hallway, which means no privacy. For some, that may be desirable, but for me, it was enough reason to stay away from the fitness center altogether.

Overall, my family really enjoyed this hotel. It was more than we expected, especially on a crowded holiday weekend.

McDonough, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Wonderful right from check in....free breakfast daily and happy hour Mon-Wed with free beer, wine and a dinner selection. Centrally located in Oceanside, approx 10 minute drive to beach, pier and downtown. A nice find....they give Paul Mitchell products in the bathroom!
We went to the pier for dinner a couple nights and to Harrah's casino another. Really enjoyed this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start by saying that the hotel was a little pricey but considering the location it is to be expected. I rented at a government rate so that help. I was there with small children and hotel was close to perfect for families with kids. Hotel is located close to Oceanside and San Diego. I visited Legoland, Oceanside beaches, outlets and Downtown San Diego. The location of hotel was perfect for this. Hotel rooms where great the kitchen and dinning room table made feel like home. We loved the large selection of breakfast buffet every morning. The mini mart next to lobby was practical. The laundry self service was a savior!(only $1.25 per machine and a $1 detergent.) Even-though the hotel was extremely busy, i was there fourth of July weekend, the staff was very friendly. We would definitively return, hopefully get a better rate :)

St. Louis, MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was in the room they gave me for a total of 19 minutes. That's right 19 minutes and then I checked out. It was that bad. Upon walking in we were greeted by unruly children running around unsupervised (I had my 4 and 7 year old kids with me, so I am not a child hater either). I then checked in to find that I was given a handicap accessible room right next to the elevator. Now mind you I am a Marriott Rewards silver elite member and was using free nights for the room. I even called at 5:30 to let the hotel know I would be arriving around 8pm just to give them a heads up that I would arrive a little late. For that courtesy they saved me one of the least desirable rooms. Also, the condition of the room they gave me was awful. Shower needed serious caulking, and big stains on the rugs and the sofa. My wife and I decided were were not comfortable having our kids stay there so we left. If you decide to take a chance on this place just remember you've been warned!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Joshua B, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. We deeply regret that you had such a poor experience and were with us for such a short time. I have already addressed this issues with the team in our bi-weekly Continuous Improvement Meetings and have followed up with the team on additional training. Although, we didn’t have an opportunity to address the issues while you were here, I would like the opportunity to resolve the issues with you directly. Please contact me at your convenience at 760-547-5820. Thank you so much for bringing this matter to our attention and I look forward to speaking with you.

Best Regards,
Josh Brandon, General Manager
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The staff were accommodating and friendly, a little pricey but we used reward points. Room was AWESOME. Comfortable, great free breakfast (eggs, bagels, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereal, make your own waffle with fruit and whipped cream, etc), great attention to detail. Will come clean your room everyday if you want them to. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Never slept so well.

Room Tip: Pool, spa, gym on this property. They have a large patio with a large BBQ grill that you can use...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I've stayed here several times while working at Camp Pendleton. Great staff, nice spacious rooms, close to base and multiple restaurants in the parking lot. This Residence Inn is by far my favorite and I'll definitely stay here each and every time I come to Oceanside!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside? Share your experiences!