“Great place! 1 blk. to beach” 4 of 5 stars

Dolphin Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   133 S Coast Hwy, Oceanside, CA 92054   |
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
Portland, Oregon
“Great place! 1 blk. to beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I thought this place was preety cool. I found it to be quite clean, not dusty at all (not even under the bed, I know because I dropped the remote & looked under the bedskirt!).

Comfortable beds/pillows.

Great hot water. Clean microwave/refridge. Long list of cable channels. Right on the corner, just a block from the beach. The Oceanside Pier is maybe 3 blocks away.

Every kind of restaurant you could imagine close by.

Secure place to stay, I'd bring my kids. Staff were nice and polite and helpful.

I will be visiting here again in the next few months!!

I read the other reviews, and I'm not sure where some of these folks got their information and ideas from. This is January 2013, and what I've said here is what the place is like right now.

Thanks for a great stay. Jaime

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
dhotel12, Manager at Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
We are so pleased you took the time to write a review of our hotel. We take great care in making sure that our rooms are clean and well maintained. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Quality Poor to fair Facilities Poor to fair Service Poor to fair
My experience at the Dolphin Hotel in Oceanside was a total waste of time. The facility was in terrible shape. The heater was not working when I was there. The door leading to the back alley is unsecured and there are a lot of rowdy and disordely "friends" hanging out on the lobby. There is not parking for the customer. I was asked to park my car on the other side of the street. The lock on the door is not secured at all. The deadbolt is hanging by a thread - one push, it would open the door. The bed and the pillows are stained and smell. The bathroom door does not close properly and its hitting the comode as you close it. In fact, the bathroom door was "modified" to fit in the area. I wish I took a picture of it to post it here. The pictures on the website is a far cry from what its actually is. I understand that it was built in 1927(?) but for pete's sake, do not publish a misleading picture of the hotel. The customer service is non-existence. I had an issue with my room and called the manager. Instead of taking care of the problem, he send one of his "friend" to check with me. The friend - a Marine at that - is not even a staff of the hotel. What kind of customer service is that. After awhile, there was no response from the front desk, I went to see the manager myself and found him "BSing" with his friends at the front desk. I told him about the situation, which is I found a used condoms on my bed! I asked to have the bed cleaned - change linens and pillow and he told me that he would transfer me to a different room. He pointed upstairs and mentioned that I move to a different room. I told him that he needs to find a room first, then come back to me and tell me what room number he would be transferring me. Well, that took forever. I then followed him to the front desk and, once again, he was busy BSing with his friends. He told me that he called the custodian to take care of it. While all this is supposed to be going on, he never came back to my room to tell me what his plans were. I told him that, for curtesy's sake, tell me. Don't leave me hanging and not get any words from him. Well, I decided to check out and asked for a refund. That did not work either because he said that the computer is not working or its voiding his transaction to cancel my payment. I provided him my number and he told me that he would call me the following day and he would take care of it. That did not happen either. I called him the following evening and informed him that he collected the money from my bank. He, again told me that he would call me. That did not happen either. OVERALL - FOR A LUCK OF A BETTER WORD - SORRY FOR THOSE WHO ARE READING REVIEWS - MY WHOLE EXPERIENCE AT DOLPHIN HOTEL S-U-C-K-S! ! ! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT FOR ANY ONE. NOT ANYONE.

Room Tip: If you have time, just continue driving towards south of the boulevard, you will see a cheap motel o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
dhotel12, General Manager at Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Marvin,
First of all thank you very much for your comments. It is through your comments and suggestions that we can make our hotel a better place. We are the new owners and while we know that our hotel is not perfect we are working every day to make it that way. We have taken your suggestions and comments and have created and action plan and have shared them with our entire staff. I can assure you that this will never happen again and I invite you to try us again now that we have worked out some of these very pressing issues.
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here for two weeks and my takeaway was positive.....I was grateful for the price for a long-term stay; the room was very basic but it had what I needed....internet access, fridge, microwave, TV and comfortable pillows; I had a corner room with a lovely cross-breeze from the ocean (10 minute walk) and I slept well; the sheets were clean and the room was clean. The family that runs the hotel is very pleasant and helpful; my understanding is that they recently purchased it during the summer and are being more restrictive as to who can use the rooms. I didn't see any riff-raff or hear any disturbances from within the hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
dhotel12, Manager at Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Your review is greatly appreciated. I always enjoy hearing from guests about their stay. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Oceanside! Best Wishes, Dolphin Hotel
Springfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed Saturday night for less than $70. The hotel is less than 10 minute walk to the beach. I liked the old style charm of the place, Neil & Hina are very kind, Hina knows good places to eat - namely "Bessie's 1929 Cafe" (good food, good atmosphere, good service) and "The Burger House" (good veggie burger), Bessie's was my favorite.

My room was clean, bathroom looked fine. Neil & Hina stated they are steadily updating the place, I believe it.

For the price, the locaion, and Neil & Hina's courtesy, I recommend their hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Beverly Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The outside interior of the hotel is charming and has an old historic feel to it. So that attracts curiousity. The best quality of the Dolphin Hotel is that it is very close to the beach. The room I purchased for two nights, smelled funny, including the bathroom. It smelled like dirty gym socks. The laundry room did not work. There were no phones in the room, the sheets and bedding sucked. Gordan Ramsey with Hotel Hell needs to pay a visit to the Dolphin and make it into a nice beach get away.

Room Tip: Always bring a bottle of alcohol to clean off the toilets and sinks and kill bedbug eggs. Keep a can...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the comments about your stay with us at the Dolphin Hotel in Oceanside. We are the new owners of the hotel and have put forth great time and expense to insure that your experience with room smell and cleanliness does not happen again. We inspect rooms daily to insure that our standards are being met. Thank you again for your comments and for staying with us we hope that you will give us another try the next time you are in town.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was there for a whole week.Yes, the Dolphin is old"1927 till now".I had a clean room and the price was great that close to the beach!!!! I saw what others said about, The Dolphin hotel. No matter what place you stay in, you must look@the room first....it's the law...If you do not like what you sea, do not stay there.
Neil&Hina are the new owners for only 12 weeks. Nice Couple....I will go back there next yr.....this time fly to lax, and takeing the train to oceanside and walk 2 blocks, i will be there....

Room Tip: You must all ways look at the room they show you first before you pay.If you do not like the room, t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Do NOT stay here .. . I mean that. This hotel is horrible, first when we got there we were charged more than expected because we had 2 kids.. the guy at the front desk said he was going to give us the best room he had that it was recently remodeled and that we would love it.. when we got to the room it was smelly, dusty, dingy, half painted and the shower and the batroom were in two separate sides of the room if you tried to se the toilet you couldn't you had to sit sideways because the sink was to close to the toilet. The bed covers were covered in cigarett burns, no fridge. Worst of all I have neve fseen my boys as scared as I did that day because there was people arguing outside and the people up top were pacing back and forth non stop. My husband went to get us some food and he found the front desk guy drinking with other tenants I sY tenants because it seemed like there are several people that permenantly live there. Well we left after 3 hours dont bkther to ask for hour money back because it wont be refunded they know whe good lean people come they will not endure the night so they made this no refund policy to stay in bussiness... like I said Do NOT stay here... its a nightmare.!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
We are so sorry that you had a bad experience we have made many changes to the hotels since you and your family stayed with us. Security is much improved we have retrained and replaced our staff. I know that this does not make up for your experience but we do appreciate you sharing your experience with us so that we could make adjustments to how we run our hotel.

Been to Dolphin Hotel? Share your experiences!