“10MIN. WALK 2 THE BEACH!!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Dolphin Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   133 S Coast Hwy, Oceanside, CA 92054   |
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“10MIN. WALK 2 THE BEACH!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was there for a whole week.Yes, the Dolphin is old"1927 till now".I had a clean room and the price was great that close to the beach!!!! I saw what others said about, The Dolphin hotel. No matter what place you stay in, you must look@the room first....it's the law...If you do not like what you sea, do not stay there.
Neil&Hina are the new owners for only 12 weeks. Nice Couple....I will go back there next yr.....this time fly to lax, and takeing the train to oceanside and walk 2 blocks, i will be there....

Room Tip: You must all ways look at the room they show you first before you pay.If you do not like the room, t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
dhotel12, Manager at Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Your review is greatly appreciated. I always enjoy hearing from guests about their stay. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Oceanside! Best Wishes, Dolphin Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Do NOT stay here .. . I mean that. This hotel is horrible, first when we got there we were charged more than expected because we had 2 kids.. the guy at the front desk said he was going to give us the best room he had that it was recently remodeled and that we would love it.. when we got to the room it was smelly, dusty, dingy, half painted and the shower and the batroom were in two separate sides of the room if you tried to se the toilet you couldn't you had to sit sideways because the sink was to close to the toilet. The bed covers were covered in cigarett burns, no fridge. Worst of all I have neve fseen my boys as scared as I did that day because there was people arguing outside and the people up top were pacing back and forth non stop. My husband went to get us some food and he found the front desk guy drinking with other tenants I sY tenants because it seemed like there are several people that permenantly live there. Well we left after 3 hours dont bkther to ask for hour money back because it wont be refunded they know whe good lean people come they will not endure the night so they made this no refund policy to stay in bussiness... like I said Do NOT stay here... its a nightmare.!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
dhotel12, General Manager at Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
We are so sorry that you had a bad experience we have made many changes to the hotels since you and your family stayed with us. Security is much improved we have retrained and replaced our staff. I know that this does not make up for your experience but we do appreciate you sharing your experience with us so that we could make adjustments to how we run our hotel.
Gunnison, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I’m not sure where to start. I’ll start with the positive. The exterior has a classic downtown motel look and the interior is even more old-timey, with a grand wide staircase leading to the rooms. The front desk woman told me the building dates to the 1920s but assured me that they’ve done many upgrades (she didn’t seem to understand that I was complimenting the hotel). The hallway leading to the rooms was lovely, with tiled floors, palmed plants, and windows. Nice dark wood doors leading into the rooms. The room was exceedingly clean and stocked with a microwave and fridge. We got a corner room with nice windows. The shower had excellent pressure. The price is right for the location, right in the center of Oceanside’s main stretch of Highway 101, close to restaurants and bars and the beach. Their rates were definitely lower than other hotels in the area and it has all the individualistic appeal of a non-chain hotel.
Unfortunately, instead of capitalizing on the old-time charm of the place, they decorated the room with standard cheap-motel bedspreads, paintings, etc. The old chintzy red velvet curtains were actually the best part of the décor. The wireless internet was a pretty slow connection. Most annoying, I made the reservation months in advance and called before arriving to confirm it, and was still hassled by the woman at the front desk. She asked me at least three times how many were staying in my room, although the two of us were both standing there and I’d told her upon arrival and during the reservation that it would be two of us. She kept mumbling ‘one person’ to herself and looking at her papers, and it seemed she was hoping to argue I’d only made the reservation for one person so as to charge me more. She finally moved on from that, and was nicer. She came to the room shortly after we got there with an extra towel, but there was only one half-sized towel in the bathroom to start with so we were still short a towel. The sheets were threadbare thin with a cigarette burn in one, and, by the end of the night, the entire sheet set had unmade itself and was gathered in clumps around us. Really cheap sheets is my point. The doors, while lovely, did not inspire confidence – light seeped in around the edges and it seemed it wouldn’t take much to bust through the locks.
Lastly, the hotel is apparently known as a hooker hotel among locals. We were in Oceanside to meet up with old friends, and the entire table of locals was utterly shocked when they heard where we were staying. They literally did not believe us for a few minutes. We thought they were maybe pulling our leg a bit or exaggerating the situation, but the bartender at a later bar had the same reaction when we said where we were staying. It’s possible that they’ve cleaned the place up – we heard or saw nothing that would confirm these suspicions. But the hotel is only in possession of three parking spots in the alley, with street parking in front of the hotel that only allows two hours – I’m not sure how they could support a hotel full of out-of-town guests. They also sported weekly rates on the chalkboard and a homeless-looking man on the sidewalk entered the hotel with us once we turned in for the night. Despite all, we enjoyed our stay here and would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms probably have more windows and better views
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Albama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

The best part about this hotel is its location. It was the only budget hotel within walking distance to the beach that we could see. Our room didn't have a carpet but tile floors. Carpet would have been nice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

My experience with this hotel is all positive. The people that run it are very attentive to your needs and really care about how you are doing. The location is great....very close to the beach, nice restaurants, grocery stores and shopping. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Excellent ocean views
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011 via mobile

My experience was absolutely terrible. The front desk was nice, but when we got up to the room our sheets were covered with stains and dust, also as we walked into the restroom there was mold in the shower, and pubic hair and urine stains on the toilet seat, the sink was not clean and the soap was used. Also not only did they charge me for the one nights stay, three days later I had an additional 47 dollar charge to my credit card that I did not approve. and not only when I called to ask about the charge was she rude, she was not responsive at all and not willing to fix the situation. I have never had such a terrible experience.

• Stayed March 2011
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Some of the previous posters are correct, the hotel does seem to be in a bad area. But, it is close to the center of activitiy in Oceanside, so it is convenient. The rooms are funky, but they do have cable tv and wireless internet connections. The price is low. The sheets were not ironed. There are rooms that people can smoke in. Lots of military people stay at the hotel. The woman at the front desk was helpful, but, it is true they do not refund your money.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed March 2010
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dolphin Hotel? Share your experiences!