“$TAY AWAY!! Horrible food and service- place gone down the tubes” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
San Diego, CA
“$TAY AWAY!! Horrible food and service- place gone down the tubes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I have come to this establishment many times over the past 15 years and the lovely view of the Oceanside marina and harbor cannot offset the absolutely putrid dinners we have had there the last three times we've been guests. This restaurant used to have very good food at reasonable prices, providing a good meal value with a very nice ambiance. It was a place you'd be happy to take out of town guests for a nice dinner, drinks and a very nice environment.
About 4 years ago, there had to have been a change in ownership and management, because the quality of menu selection and preparation has sunk below Joe's Crab Shack levels and that's pretty bad- all at prices equivalent to a Jake's or Charthouse without the upscale ambiance and service!
Meager portions, poor quality, indifferent service and sauces and condiments out of the freezer or out of a Costco bag has ensured we will never be back under present management.
We're hoping maybe the Fish Market chain will buy this place and ratchet up the dining experience to where it once was. STAY AWAY FOR NOW!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

San Diego
“An okay place for lunch or dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went to the restaurant for a late lunch/early dinner. It was just "okay". Not bad and not particularly good. But okay. We went there with an Entertainment coupon - - $10 off at lunch when buying two entrees.

We were there during "happy" hour and they charged us $6.50 for a middle to low-end scotch. I would have been "happier" if they had charged less or had given me a full pour. Also, I ordered a Dewers and immediately noted that it tasted funny. Almost like they had put in a little lemon or lime. It wasn't unpleasant - - just was not what I ordered. I sent it back. Perhaps someone dripped some other lemon/lime drink into my glass or perhaps they refill their Dewers bottles from something else. ;-)

The service was really slow. That was perhaps our biggest complaint.

They gave us warm bread with an unusual garlic/olive paste. We asked for butter and it took about 10 minutes. The same length of time it took for the warm bread to cool down. If the place would have been busy, I could have understood the delay but there were only a handful of tables busy and two servers.

My wife had the "large" scallops (large means about the size of an olive - - not the smallest we've ever seen, but not what we'd call "large"). Either $20 or 21. It was supposed to come with drawn butter but didn't. So that took another five plus minutes to arrive after requested.

I had mahi mahi ($19) and it was okay but perhaps a little dry.

So the drinks were "light" for the price (and one strange), the food was..."okay", and the service was a little slow.

Would we go back? Maybe. We were in the area and it was convenient. But maybe next time we'll try the Jolly Roger which is only a few hundred feet away. Or maybe we'll just go to the Robin's next (fast food IIRC).

When we were there four or five years ago I thought it was better.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
temecula, ca
“Beautiful view from the patio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Showed up during happy hour which is till 7pm. Sat in the patio and loved the atmosphere and the harbor views. The food was delicious, ordered clam chowder and ceviche and the halibut tacos. We enjoyed our dinner very much.

Visited April 2013
Oceanside, California
“They padded the bill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

3 out of the four people we were with had extra drinks on it. We all drank different items so it was not that they just put it on the wrong bill. They just added an extra drink to all the people we were with. The food was good but the speed of service was horrible. I will not be back anytime soon. This place really needs new management to train the servers better.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Go for a drink and not the food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I am a local and this place would be a great place to take out of town guests, unfortunately it is not. The restaurant has a great location, right on the water in Oceanside harbor, a great out door patio that is right on the waters edge. What more could you want, that is the burning question, here are the answers: how about good service and food.
On my last visit the four of us were escorted to our table and seated by a hostess that acted as if she would rather be some where else, we had to wait 10 minutes before our waiter arrived and noticed that we didn't have menus, another ten minutes he brought us menus and took our drink orders, not a good start.
Things that were poor:
Slow service
inexperienced waiter
sporadic food delivery
incorrect food delivered, when it got there.
I could go on but, I won't.
Go there for the bar and forget the rest,

• Visited October 2012