“Gorgeous Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
York, Pennsylvania
“Gorgeous Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is a brand new, gorgeous hotel. If you like modern design you will enjoy this. Also if you like trains you will enjoy it. Spent several weeks here. Stayed on both sides of the hotel. A big difference on the ocean side with noise levels, but I didn't mind the train noises on mountain side either. Any oceanfront hotel within 20 miles north or south has to deal with the same train noise. One good thing about the train is you can use it to go anywhere in SoCal. Beautiful pool, hot tub and fitness center on 6th floor. Good restaurant, Hello Betty, on corner of hotel. Plenty of good eating all around town. Farmers market on Thursdays with food stands Thursday nights. Staff is young, and learning, but all staff is very friendly and helpful. Over the weeks that the hotel has been running they are improving everything. As one reviewer mentioned when they develop the lot between the hotel and the beach the dynamics of hotel may change. Love it, favorite place to stay in Oceanside/Carlsbad area.

Room Tip: Highly recommend ocean front. If you want to save money and stay in a great hotel other side is nic...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
MSpringHillSuites, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review on your experience with us! We are so pleased you enjoyed your long term stay with us! We truly hope you had a great experience and it sounds like you did! We hope to be of service to you in the future. Thank you for your review!

Kathleen Maola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Oceanside is not on everyone's radar when planning a trip to San Diego. This brand new Marriott property certainly elevates the most northerly coastal suburb of San Diego. Every modern amenity, a roof top pool overlooking the Pacific Ocean, patios with fireplaces and a two minute stroll away from Oceanside Pier with miles and miles of surf.

Just be aware that the hotel name may well suggest that this hotel is in San Diego - it's not! Oceanside is a good 35 to 45 minute drive north from San Diego Airport. That being said, the hotel is just a 5 mile drive along the coast from Carlsbad Village - a wonderful place to walk, browse the many boutiques and stores, and a host of restaurants.

The hotel was still smoothing a few rough edges: most notably the breakfast cafe - no coffee one day, no eggs the next. But these are minor issues when you are up on the roof top, languishing in the hot tub looking out over the ocean.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your past stay with us! We are so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and we are also pleased to hear you enjoyed our close proximity to everything that Oceanside has to offer! We truly hope that if your travels take you to the area again, that we will be your home away from home!

ILLINOIS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

After seeing some of the early reviews for this hotel I was a little hesitant about staying. But from the check in to leaving no real problems. Everyone was friendly and willing to help. Rooms were new and fun.
Pool was great to be in on the top floor and the hot tub was perfect.
The train was never an issue. And if you stay at any hotel along the coast you are going to hear it some. Not a big deal at all.

A couple of minor issues. Two night at the pool they were out of towels. And one night the elevator was out. But its new so maybe some growing pains??

Would be more than happy to stay here again when im in the area!!

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean side room if not sure about the train at nights.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your past stay with us! We truly appreciate your positive feedback. Thank you also for alerting us about the pool towels as we will make sure to take that into consideration for staff to take care of. Again thank you for your time and we hope to be of service to you again soon!

Northville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We recently spent five nights at this wonderful, Oceanside hotel. The front desk staff were pleasant and professional which made check in a quick / seamless experience. Our ocean facing room was very spacious, quiet and the balcony afforded a beautiful sunset view every evening. The upscale rooftop pool and gym area, overlooking the ocean, were also a pleasant surprise.
Additionally, the complimentary breakfast buffet was very convenient which, along with the coffee provided, was a great way to start the day. This was the first time we have stayed at a Spring Hill Suites and, based on this experience, we will certainly consider staying at others in the future.

Room Tip: The ocean view upgrade is well worth it
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
SHSOceanside, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay and thank you so much for your compliments! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we truly hope to be able to serve you again in the future, thank you!

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We tried this hotel based upon prior stays at Springhill Suites and visits to Oceanside. Location is excellent and staff are great (Justin at the front desk and Rod in maintenance). Our first room faced the town and the train tracks. It made for a noisy sleep. Our second room looked out over the ocean. It made for a perfect sleep. Try the noise cancelling box if you have a city side room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your past stay with us. We are so pleased that our staff was accommodating to all your needs and we will pass along your compliments to Justin and Rod!

Thank you again for your thoughts and we hope to see you soon!

Merrimack, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This hotel was a perplexing mix of good and bad. To keep it simple, I will list the good and the bad and let you decide what is important to you.
First the good: 1. The location. The hotel has only an empty lot between it and the beach. Hopefully they won't develop this lot. 2. The rooms are large enough for an extended stay. They have a separate couch/ office area that allows you to stretch out. 3. There is a rooftop pool and jacuzzi with beautiful views. 4. The hotel staff are pro's, very courteous and helpfull. 5. The check out time was a very generous noon.
Now the bad: 1. The location. There is a commuter train that runs right behind the hotel and it runs often. When it goes by it blows it's airhorn and all the street signs start banging and clanging. When I checked in, the receptionist asked if I wanted to upgrade to a balcony suite. When I said no thanks, he informed me that they had earplugs and a noise maker if I needed them, this was a large clue as to how loud the train was. Allthough it did not bother me that much, if you are a light sleeper, this will be a problem. Keep in mind, however, that the train runs behind all the oceanfront hotels in Oceanside. 2. There is no kitchen on the property at all. That means you must leave the property to eat, no roomservice, no lounge. There is a seafood restaurant right next to the lobby, but it was raining hard and I had to walk around to find somewhere to eat. 3. The breakfast is sub-par for even an economy hotel. Maybe because it has to be trucked in? We came down to eat well before breakfast ended and found many waiting for eggs. When they came, they were gone almost instantly and we were long gone before they were refilled again. Even with plenty of eggs, it would have been a sad breakfast. 4. The bathroom had only a stand up shower. The decor was very modern, almost Japenese "Feng-shue", but they sacrificed looks for functionality. Some will not miss the tub, some will. 5. There is no on site parking. A flock of valets will decend upon you the second you pull up. Even when I explained that I just wanted to confirm my reservation, they insisted that they take my car stating that they could bring it right back if I need it. Being so unprepared, we of course left some things in the car that we needed. They do bring it back, but you have to tip them. This service is $24 and should be stated up front as part of the room price but is not.
I really could go on as this hotel was a perplexing mix of good and bad. If you value proximity to the water and don't need many services, this hotel may suffice. I will try another if I ever stay in the area as there was not enough to make me come back.

Room Tip: Pay for a balcony or get familiar with the train.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your candid review and will give our staff your compliments.

We do apologize if you were not able to enjoy your breakfast while you stayed here. We have addressed your concerns with our staff and we will work faster to replenish any and all of the breakfast items.

We do hope that if your travels find you back in Oceanside, that you will try us again, we would love to be able to show you our improvements!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed here from Feb 28th through March 2nd for my mini birthday celebration with my son, sister and mom. From the beginning it was awesome... Got complimentary early check in and the staff was so nice (besides no one saying happy birthday even though they saw my ID and it was on my reservation). The best employee was the young valet guy who was on top of his job in the mornings. He got to know us and made us feel special! There is a train that goes on all day and night but it didn't bother us and my son loved looking out the window saying "choo choo". The rooms are so nice and very spacious, and I'm from Vegas so I expect good quality hotel rooms! The only downfall which made me upset for like 5 min was that my room did not get cleaned. We were out all day at Legoland and the last thing I wanted was to come to a dirty room (they missed out on a $10 tip!) . It also made me upset when I called front desk and the guy who answered made no importance of my room not being serviced and pretty much told me that I must have had my do not disturb sign on my door when I know for a fact I did not, he made me feel like I was not important and did not try to solve my concerns. I ended up just asking for extra towels since we were ready to go to sleep and did not want to b bothered. The lady who brought our towels was very nice and apologized which made me feel a little better. <Besides that our stay was great and we will return! Great location!

Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We do apologize for not making your concern our priority from the start. We will address your thoughts with our staff and please note that it will be corrected! We do hope that you enjoyed your stay and we would love to be able to welcome you again. By the way, Happy Belated Birthday!

Kathleen Maola

Been to SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown? Share your experiences!