“Yum!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Peruvian
Cincinnati, OH
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My sister took me and my daughter there, particularly for the roast chicken and short bread cookies. Needless to say everything was awesome! Pretty small seating but well worth the wait. Very nice servers. I had the roast chicken and the cookies, of course, and it was delish! Will visit again!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Western Hemisphere
“Don't believe the hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Panca Peruvian Cuisine & Rotisserie is truly a poor place to spend good money. The term Cuisine is applied to loosely these days, like signifying that the level of food one is going to eat is above average. This is more like a bland imitation of everything that is great in Peruvian Cuisine.
We arrived at around 2PM on a Wednesday. The place is perfectly decorated, quite the modern approach, but the kitchen is entirely a total disaster. Real Peruvian food is top notch, meaning it does not get any better. Those lucky enough to have tried a real Peruvian Ceviche, per say, will never forget that day, and probably will love the dish from then on. There are few and hard to find good Peruvian Restaurants in the USA. The same as Mexican Cuisine one would be lucky to find a decent one. To rate this place a 5 Stars (worldwide) would mean that the rating system has failed completely. For if this place is a 5 Star than the best Peruvian Restaurant in Peru would have to be 50 Stars, and that is a game I am not willing to endorse.
The music was reggae, what a crock, not even international music from the country from which they claim to be from, that shows how far this place is from the whole thing of calling themselves Peruvian food. The avid and enthusiastic reviews are far fetched. For those Travelers that like to get the best please avoid entirely this overpriced and undercooked imitation of one of the finest cuisines that exists today. 3 of us arrived here to eat filled with hope and expectations, 3 left regretting every single moment and quality of the dishes:
Papa a la Huancaina $6.75: any one that has tried this delicious dish would know that things were starting on the wrong foot. Bland sauce, right color, stale boiled potatoes (a little past their prime), if one is hungry they will eat this dish, but for the discerning palate, badly made in need of more cheese (come on! don't be so tight on the budget that you want to deprive the customer) 2.5 Stars.
Papa Rellena $11.95: are you kidding me? Deep fried potatoes with meat filling in the center (very little of it), not a bite of flavor, poorly fried, this dish is considered an everyday dish in Peru, and believe me when I say they know how to make it delicious including all kinds of goodies in the filling, easy to make how can the failure of this place can be so dismal I will never know. 2 Stars.
Ceviche $13.95, here is where the aggravation turn to a slap. Ceviche is made with very fresh seafood and fish. This one is made out of fish. Came almost frozen to the table, in the smallest and silliest of plates I have seen, so little of it that I was hoping for everything to be just right to justify the excessive price. Not to be: fish definitely not fresh, citrus with lime juice and other spices tasted like they pour it out of a pre made bottle (scandalous), a couple of sliced sweet potatoes, some large size corn (closer to hominy than regular corn), and covered with canchita serrana (the closest I can describe this is like fried corn nuts? but a lot cheaper to make) 2 Stars.
Peruvian Style Rotisserie Chicken 1/4 $7.50, the small salad was not to shabby. The chicken dry, and poorly marinated, this one is so good in Peru that the version they served made me want to ask them if they got their cooking credentials in cracker jack box. 2 Stars.
Lucuma Moose $5, Lucuma is a fruit that is regional to Peru, and besides being super healthy they make a to die for ice cream out of it, as well as pie fillings, topping, so when I saw Lucuma Mousse knowing what Lucuma is and what Mousse is supposed to be (a sweet or savory dish made as a smooth light mass with whipped cream and beaten egg white, flavored with chocolate, fish, etc., and typically served chilled.) we ordered this (I do not know what to call it now) thing only to be shock with the amount of sugar, the thickness and lack of finesse of what they boldly pretended it was mousse, the absolute lack of Lucuma flavor (gag me with a spoon), and a thick layer on top of bittersweet chocolate, probably Hershey's and that it was described as ganache (oui wee) 1 Star. Service acceptable, food a disservice to the Peruvian Cuisine image. Water cold, and total bill with gratuity almost $50. Where is a Denny's when you need it? 2 Stars.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Carlsbad
“Wonderful little Peruvian restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Got a group of eight of our friends to try this little restaurant. I knew that I and my wife would enjoy the experience but was unsure of several of our friends. Everyone totally enjoyed the food we selected.

They don't have a full liquor license but do serve excellent Peruvian beer and wine from the Ica region of Peru most famous for distilling Pisco. They also serve very good Chilean wine.

Our selection of dishes varied from Anticuchos( marinated beef hearts), Causa, Ceviche, and Ocopa as appitizers followed by Lomo Saltado, Aji de Gallina, Papas Rellenas, and roast chicken as the entreers. Being good friends we did quite a bit of sharing selections with others so that everyone had a good idea of the taste and desirability of the dishes.

The dessert that I selected for everyone to try was Lucuma Mousse. Everyone were truly surprised about how good it was.

The atmosphere is casual and one has the option of pre-ordering for take-out. We all agreed that we would be going back. Hope that the readers of this try Panca at least once.

The only complaint I had was that the background music was not Peruvian. I don't mean the melonconic Andean music most associated with Peru and El Condor Pasa. Rather, the happier and uplifting music derived from Spanish and Black music as well as Peruvian waltzes. Perhaps next time they will get new CDs.

Google Panca Peruvian Cusine & Rotisserie and you can see their full menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, AZ
“Don't let the strip mall location trick you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband and I stopped here for dinner during a vacation to Oceanside. My husband loves to try new flavors, so I scouted this place out as a treat. Tripadvisor has it ranked 9th, and based on our experience, it deserves it's place in the rankings.

We ordered the Quinoa cakes for appetizer. Came with a white/yellow sauce on the plate and a green dipping sauce. Don't know what the green sauce was, but it was good -- just a tiny bit of spice to it. The outside was crunchy and the inside tender.

For dinner we had the Aji gallindo (chicken dish) and the Carapulca. Both were delicious. The creamy sauce on the Aji gallindo was really tasty. It comes on top of potatoes and with a side of rice. I would have liked a bit more chicken because I try to limit carbs. But my husband thought that just the sauce with the rice would have made a very satisfying meal (the sauce was that good).

The beef in the Carapulca was incredibly tender, and the quinoa in the stew made it a hearty stew, with just an unbelievably good flavor. Savory and hearty -- my husband said it was the best stew he's ever had.

For dessert we each had the caramel crème brulee -- a delicious way to end a great meal.

Cost of the meal with 1 alcoholic beverage (wine) was $60 with tip (2 adults).

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oceanside, California, United States
“Hidden Gem in Oceanside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Wonderful family restaurant with authentic Peruvian food. The owners are from Lima and share their food heritage with a smile! Great ambiance.....and the food is wonderful. Don't miss the Quinoa cakes or the Aji de Gallina!!

• Visited April 2014