“Best trip ever” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best trip ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Just went on a 3/4 day trip on the sea trek in oceanside at hilgren's best trip ever captain Ryan got us on the fish it was a great time.... Would really recommend Hilgren's if you want to catch fish.. Great boat and wonderful staff...

Yakima, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Night Shark Fishing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Went Shark fishing at night with a group of 7. The advertised price for the trip was posted, but did not show an additional $10 for the pole rental, nor were we aware of the $10 shark lead we would have to purchase after getting on the boat. Maybe this was normal practice, non of our group had been shark fishing before so "who knew?"
The trip was from 6pm-Midnight, and for the first 5 hours was completely quiet with plenty of time for our group to entertain each other. At 11:15pm the boat of 25 people got its first bit and reeled in a 4' Mako Shark. Unfortunately it wasn't anyone from my group, but after 5 hours of nothing, we were just happy to see some type of action. Good trip and good crew, bathroom facilities onboard along with a drinks, snacks and burgers ($5) in the galley.

Aberdeen, Mississippi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Taking my granddaughter fishing..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I have been fishing with Helgrens for several years. We moved to Mississippi 4 years ago and came for a visit during the 4th of July holiday. When we lived in Oceanside my granddaughter would always ask to go out on the charter with me. My reply would always be "when you are little older".
She is 10 now and July 5th, 2014 we went out on the Electra for her first time. I have always enjoyed my fishing experience with Helgrens and today was no exception. We went out for the 1/2
day trip and I was especially pleased with the the way the deck hands helped my granddaughter. She caught some fish and had an exceptional time. My hat's off to the captain and crew of the Electra. I certainly will be back and fish again with Helgrens!!
Tom Gyllenswan
Aberdeen, MS

Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Memorable in a Good Way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have an 8-year-old son who loves to fish, but because of where we live, has never done so in the ocean. Last November, I decided "Santa" was going to bring him a saltwater fishing trip. I did a lot of research and decided on Helgren's. Have you ever phoned a business, got answers to all your questions, felt like they really knew what they were talking about and were confident that all the details would be in place and correct on arrival? Yeah, me either....until this experience. We set everything up over the phone with a lady in the office. We purchased a gift certificate for three people w/rod rentals, for a 10-3 p.m. outing. The certificate showed up in the mail promptly, Xmas came and went and my son was anxiously awaiting the trip.

On June 9, we showed up at the marina and everything was ready to go. Our trip was on a boat called the "Electra," with Captain Rick, "Nacho" (never caught his real name), Travis and another deckhand (bad with names - sorry). The boat was the perfect size, with plenty of room for everyone to wander. There were probably around 12 people fishing that day. On the way out, Travis gave a lesson on how to use the rods, bait the hook, etc. etc. After about 20 minutes, we got to our first stop. I have read a lot of reviews here that talk about rude or uninterested deckhands. I wonder if they have several and we just lucked out, because our crew was very attentive and helpful. Did someone raise a voice here-and-there?! Maybe...but it was only because they were caught up in the moment or needed you to do something "yesterday" as not to lose the fish on your line. Hell, my son was yelling, too, especially when he snagged his first fish - a White Fish. He was thrilled - Travis came over, helped it off the hook, and showed my son the correct way to hold it (so "mom" could take 1000 pictures). It was something he will never forget.

We also had no issues with the bait - everyone was free to grab whatever they wanted to use. I didn't see any deckhand slipping a friend primo bait (whatever that may be). However - dun-dun-duhhhh - I did see some people smoking...and so what (and I don't smoke)! It's not like you're on the QE2 - it's a fishing boat! Your sticking hooks through the noses of bait fish, the crew are filleting catches - blood, etc. - in the middle of it all....not to mention you're in the open, windy air (not like you're trapped in a car or something). If you're put off by a little smoke? I'd seriously re-evaluate your decision to even go saltwater fishing....

I think most of the boat caught fish that day...although some had to be thrown back (White Fish, Tree Fish, Calico Bass, Mackerel, Barracuda...). Nacho whipped up a mean burger in the galley...and Travis was extremely helpful and patient - even when we did aggravating things (like tangling a couple reels). We made three or four stops; they kept us out 30 minutes OVER the time we were due back...I didn't feel rushed at all. There was so much more to enjoy than just fishing. We spotted sea lions, dolphins, pelicans...and, of course, seagulls...it was a laid-back, fun atmosphere.
Oh, and the only time we all had to fish on the same side of the boat was when we were going for Halibut and drifting. This makes sense; if you're scattered while drifting, you're more likely to tangle...if you're all on the same side, theoretically, the lines should drift in the same direction as everyone else's...thus causing less problems...

...and finally, a word about "the lottery"...(in case you don't know what it is, everyone puts a few dollars into a pool. The person who catches the biggest fish at days end wins the cash. They hang the fish - in front of everyone - on a scale to see which one takes the prize). I have never met any of these people in my life prior to that day...and, guess what? My son WON the lottery!!! So, I can't say it's fixed - at least not on our outing.

I would book with these guys again in a minute. The boat was comfortable - and clean (after returning to the marina, we wandered around the shops and ate dinner...we must have hung around for hours....and when we were leaving, they were still scrubbing down the surfaces of that boat).

My only complaint? My son will never again be happy fishing in a lake or pond after this experience - MANY THANKS!!

OH -PS: Don't forget the sunscreen, even if cloudy....burnt to a crisp....

Visited June 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Worst customer service ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We booked a half day trip. They canceled the trip without notice. Then they said we have a twilight going out tonight. We booked that one as well. Then we called back to confirm our trip, and we were told we are canceling that boat as well. No reason given. They called us the next day to offer us $5.00 off. Really? we wasted a whole day because the girl swore the twilight was going out. Stay away. Buyer beware!!

Visited May 2014