“Good value, good food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Sterling, Virginia
“Good value, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stopped while driving through Oceanside and we were hungry. It was a Thursday so there were only two other folks in the place. We ordered lunch. We got big portions and the food was good. If we lived in the area we would likely return to try breakfast.

• Visited September 2013

Fullerton
“Maybe we ate there on a bad day…”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

First, let me say that the service was outstanding! It seems like there was just one waitress, but even though the place was packed she never left us wanting for drink refills, extra napkins, or condiments. We sat outside on the patio and other than the usual off-balanced table it was very nice.

The food, on the other hand, was relatively pedestrian fare, at best.
The stuffed Jalapenos are definitely made for gringos – way too much filling and absolutely zero zing. Tasted like cream cheese and a bell pepper soaked in grease.
The sauce on the eggs benedict lacked proper seasoning and preparation. There was none of the rich, lemony creaminess that one would expect; just a semi-coagulated, semi-glop topping under-toasted English muffins and surprisingly well-poached eggs.
The club sandwich was – well, not very clubby. You couldn’t hold the grilled Jalapeno bread without grease sticking to your hands. The meats used in the sandwich were obviously lower quality, water-injected brands. You’d think there would at least be some punch from the Jalapenos, but the total blandness was just overwhelming.

When people talk of greasy spoons, this is one of the places they mean. With all the great reviews here I’d like to say I’d try Jennie’s again, but I’m not sure that’s a promise I can keep. Maybe it was just a bad day…or maybe it wasn’t.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sun Lakes, Arizona
“Good food comes with a smile!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our first trip to Oceanside, CA brought us to Jennie's Café. We found the restaurant on an online restaurant discount website. Read good reviews on TripAdviser and was very happy with this lovely and lively little café. Jennie, the owner, made us feel right at home. My husband and I ordered waffles with a side of fruit. It was more like a mound of fruit. And ever so fresh! Great place to eat outside with your dog. Next time skip the chain restaurant and head to Jennie's Café.

• Visited June 2013
Oceanside, California
“Our new favorite breakfast place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I almost hate to review this because we would like to keep it from becoming too crowded to go to.
My husband and I stopped in, after our beach walk, just to check the place out. This is now our new after walk breakfast place.
We always get the egg white veggie omelet and it is delicious !
The place is homey and friendly and I can't wait to try their other dishes.
The waitress we usually get is SUPER friendly and very efficient.
Give it a try, you'll go back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vista, California
“Great Breakfast, fast and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Yet another great breakfast place for Oceanside! I am always looking for new/good places in our area and I heard about Jennie's from a Living Social email and found the reviews I had to try it. I had the County Fried Steak and my wife had the Chiliquiles and both were excellent. The place was pretty full but we found the service to be reasonably fast and everyone was very pleasant. We really enjoyed our first visit and plan to return often.

• Visited March 2013