“We had our stay for free, but there are much nicer places to stay if you're going to spend money.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort

Holiday Sale - 25% Off
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersBronze level
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Wasn't thrilled. Location is amazing, but that's about it. Furniture and decor is lacking and cheap. I appreciate ambiance. This is somewhere to go back to after a long day of adventuring in San Diego, not to lounge around all day.

• Stayed January 2014
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for review and sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear the decor wasn't pleasing to you. We did renovate the property in 2013 and replaced all sofas, chairs, bedding, mattresses, drapery, carpet and more throughout the property and have had many complimentary comments. We do take constructive comments into consideration for future renovations, so we appreciate your feedback.

Safe travels,
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have never felt so disgusted with the way I was treated at this resort. First of all there Is the train that everyone complains about , but the ear plugs really do block out that bull crap noise. I have never been told that house keeping only visits once a week even when I am spending 7 + nights at their hotel. After 3 long nights of having the sign on my door asking them to please clean my room I had to call down to the lobby on more then 1 occasion and beg them to please send someone up. They replied to me "sorry the maids do not come every day only Tuesdays" I explained I needed my room cleaned as I am used to living in much more hygienic conditions because usually they come once a day. They said they will make an EXCEPTION even though it's not a cleaning day. I left my room and went out for lunch, I expect a clean room upon my return. I have never been so shocked with the state they left my room in. The sheets were not changed, the bathroom was not cleaned and I had no fresh towels or toilet paper. I reused the same towel for the pool for 7 long days which isn't a big deal since I'm not picky but when I realized after I had no toilet paper I thought to myself what did housekeeping accomplish ? To my knowledge all they did was make the bed from dirty sheets that I had been sleeping in for quite sometime. This was not normal to me as I travel a lot and when the housekeeping comes in everyday I have new towels and toilet paper because this is standard procedure. I called the main lobby and specifically asked them to clean my room only to realize she came in and pulled the covers on the bed and left. On the pull out bed there was a white sheet folded thinking that it was an extra sheet. As I came to my bed after an exhausting day, I realized that it wasn't an extra sheet that I was provided, but was in fact the sheet that the maid was too lazy to put on the bed. We did not ask for much but for them it was too much, they didn't even have their maids trained to make a bed. Normally, there is a manager that comes and checks to see if the maid did her job correctly. Clearly nobody checked or someone did check and did not realize what a horrible job she had done. I have never seen this in my life after staying at over hundreds of hotels and resorts in my life. I have never left a review on trip advisor but I felt the need to let the new potential customers know that this place isn't a 4.6 on 5 at all. Do not let yourself be fooled and read the negative reviews before booking. I made the mistake of just looking at the rating and not reading into other peoples bad experiences with this place. The second problem was about the train, my father could not sleep because of it. After three nights he went to the lobby and they told him you have to wait to speak with the manager. They told him to come down at 10am which he did only to find out that the manager still hasn't arrived. They then told him to come back at 11. We had plans and wanted to switch our room before leaving for the day. Finally he went down and spoke with the manager and all he said was sorry we cannot do anything for you, that is the room you have paid for, that is the room you are stuck in for another five nights. My father always reserves online with Wyndham across North America and he has never been treated so badly seeing as he is a loyal customer. We ended up finishing our stay there with extreme dissapointment and we can now say that we will never reserve with any other Wyndham hotel regardless of the location.

Stayed January 2014
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you Bizzxo for sharing your experience, certainly a disappointing one. As a timeshare resort, we do not offer the same services that a hotel does, including the housekeeping service. I am truly sorry that was not explained more clearly to you prior to your arrival and then again once you arrived. The housekeeping services you described are what we provide for all guests, however we will gladly replenish amenities upon request. More disappointing to me is the response by my team so I will certainly share your comments with them

Thank you again for sharing your experience. I

760.901.1200
oxnard
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This property has a great location! The Hotel rooms do NOT have ocean views...but there is a room/lounge that all guests my use and it has a great view!!! They have fun activities for guests! You can have lunch at the end of the pier!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Irene - Thank you for sharing your experience at Oceanside Pier! I'm glad you mentioned the Sky Lounge, located on the 7th floor of each tower. Definitely the best view in town from there! It is available to all registered owners and guests to bring their own refreshments and enjoy the sunsets!

We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!

sacramento, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Having never really stayed in Oceanside, we thought we'd try this Wyndham property out. Location wise, it is great... yes even though it is near the train tracks. We do own a Wyndham property already but had not been to this location. We really enjoyed our 3 nights.

We did have an Ocean view room... not to be confused with an Ocean front room. They offer those too but they were full during the time we were there. First off, my first tip is to ask for units that end in 07, 09, 11. These are rooms in the North Tower that look into the pool area and have both an Ocean and Pier view. Rooms ending in 12, 13, 25, and 26 are Ocean Front rooms and these would be the best if you have that option. So we were in room 507, a 2 bedroom unit with a nice view. The balconies at this resort are not very large but they do have 2 chairs and a small table if you would like to sit outside for awhile. Inside, the bedrooms have one king (master bedroom) and a queen in the 2nd bedroom. The 2nd bedroom was dark however with no window which lowers the mark from excellent to very good.

As with most Wyndham (timeshare) properties, these are homes away from home. You have a full kitchen, laundry, TV's in bedrooms and living room, well stocked with glasses, plates, silverware, pots, pans...... This can be great for cutting costs and not eating out every meal. You also have to realize that maids do not come in and clean everyday so if you expect that then you will be disappointed.

The pool and spa were very popular during our stay. The pool was heated some and I saw as many as 14 people in the spa. There is also a fitness room which was quite popular and overlooks the pool area. But the Ocean is a 5 minute walk if you want a really big swimming area.

Location is what this is all about. A short walk and you are on the Pier. This is the longest Pier in California. Ruby's is a restaurant at the end of the pier but we did not eat here. It was very popular and had over a half hour waiting list. The Strand (or Promenade) is great for walking or biking. The beaches are very well maintained by the city. On Thursdays there is a Farmer's Market which is another 5 minute walk just under the train tracks. You can find lots of things to buy, eat, or just people watch and listen to music. This is year round so it doesn't matter what time of the year you visit. The Wyndham also has activities for kids and adults during the day to fill any idle time you may have.

Lastly, the train noise wasn't a bother to us. We really didn't hear it much on the west side of the building. They do furnish ear plugs if it is too much but we never used them. There are 2 restaurants that you may use. The 333 Steakhouse is a high end eatery while the ZigZag pizza offers some good sized salads and decent pizza's.

So Oceanside is not such a bad place to visit. We hope to visit again in the summer and see the action when it is even warmer than it already was.

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean view. Ask for a higher floor. But if you can get an Ocean Front room even better...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience here in Oceanside! You shared expert tips for our future guests! We look forward to having you as our guest in the future!

Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We visited this location in late September. The check-in was decently smooth. I asked for an oceanview room on checkin, the clerk was very rude (Kevin maybe) and said, we are fully booked. He said this before even checking. So, we got a room facing the train tracks. The master was not an issue, but my two young boys woke up several times mostly in the morning as the trains start going about 5 AM. Also about checkin, remember at Wyndham to get your "parking pass", they push their free welcome breakfast which is really just to get you to sign up for a timeshare presentation. I firmly said "I'm not interested"...the gentlemen asked me "in what" and I said "in anything you are selling". He abruptly handed me my parking pass and that was the end of that.

The rooms are nicely decorated. The balcony was a joke as it directly faced another building. We loved the washing machine and full kitchen. If you had an ocean view room, it would be a great place! But, the early morning trains blowing their horns really prevented me from giving them "a very good rating". We had a sound machine going pretty loud in my boys room and it still woke them up. Plus the front desk could use a little training in service. Onsite, is a very high end restaurant that was very good (and we had zero issues being accommodated with two very small children). They do not deliver to the rooms. It would be nice to have a little cheaper option like a diner, pizza, etc. especially if you are staying like a week which we were but the full kitchen really made up for that.

My kids swam in the pool; it was late September and it was not heated, but they had a good time anyway. The beds are super comfortable. And, they had a complimentary bell man (although we did tip). Parking was down below and really safe which I appreciated in the area. We did not hear the train from the master, but I don't know if that was our particular floor plan or not. Apart from the rude guy on check-in and the train noise...I don't think I can complain too much considering the price we paid. We would stay again but don't expect to get Oceanside unless you are an owner (we had rented from an owner).

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing ocean not the train.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you HeidingOut for sharing your experience at our resort! I am disappointed to hear about your experience with our Guest Services team member, we do strive to ensure each guest receives our Count on Me service. I am pleased to share that we do have another restaurant option which opened just after your visit in September. ZigZag Pizza offers build your own pizza and salads, all very tasty!

If you are intersted in returning, Extra Holidays offers space at our resort, hotel rooms, 1 bedroom units as well as 2 bedroom units.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I along with my wife and 2 adult daughters stayed for a week in the 2-bedroom suite facing the ocean. Rooms and kitchen are very well furnished and there are two great restaurants within the property itself. Views are awesome and location is right across the pier and as well as across the little downtown with many eateries and a good movie theater. Fresh-n-Easy store was couple miles away - convenient enough for picking the fresh fruits, milk, vegetables etc.Resort also organizes many activities every day. Metrolink/AmTrack railway station is very close-by as well. We loved relaxing and chilling all 7-days with walks on the beach, watching movies and enjoying good food.

Room Tip: Rooms towards ocean have great views and are farther away from railway line
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience here in Oceanside! It's great to hear how much you and your family enjoyed not only the resort but the area as well! On your next visit, you may want to visit the Harbor, just a mile North of us, a great place to dine and maybe rent a kayak or two. Every Thursday, downtown hosts a morning farmers market (perfect for fresh produce) and and evening street fair, again fun for the entire family.

We look forward to your next visit ! Thank you again for your review.

Terrace bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Because this is a time share hotel the side that is available for hotel customers is by a loud train. Wear the ear plugs! The area is beautiful and the hotel itself was nice. We sat in on a time share presentation and they pretty
Much told us that the owners get the good side and that they have those hotel rooms available because they had to have those rooms in order to be able to build and have a hotel there.

• Stayed December 2013
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you Amviv for taking the time to write a review! You are correct, we are a timeshare resort that also offers rooms available for rent. We have both hotel rooms located on the city side and 1 bedroom units available for rent in the interior of the property. You may also find 2 bedroom units available tor rent as well through Extra Holidays. I do like to share with guests that the trains can be heard throughout the property, regardless of which direction your room is facing.

I am pleased to see that you had an enjoyable time with us! We hope to see you again in the future!

Resort Manager

Been to Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort? Share your experiences!