“Vacationing from North Carolina” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Oceanside
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
High Point, North Carolina
“Vacationing from North Carolina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The staff was very helpful especially the bellmen who delivered our enormous pile of luggage (we were traveling with a toddler and infant). The rooms were nicely decorated and clean. We had a 2 bedroom suite. The kitchen is nicely stocked. The baths were very nice especially the master. You do have to call and request towel exchanges but this was not a problem. We enjoyed the pool. The spa water at the pool was delicious. It was very convenient to the beach. There is beach umbrellas and chairs for rent--very convenient. When booking your room you are not guaranteed its location--I don't like that. The best rooms are above 2nd floor facing the pool-you will also have an ocean view. Do not book a city view--it is of the railroad tracks. If you are on the side of the building you will have an ocean view but it includes public parking lot view also. I had read other reviews about the train noise but this did not bother us. Don't miss the sunset Farmer's Market--every kind of ethnic food you can think of and lots of booths to explore. Here is the big negative: Oceanview needs to clean up their beaches. The beaches are trashy and there is not early morning clean up that I am use to on other beaches. The shopping and stores are run down and there are very few restaurants to eat at.

Room Tip: When booking your room you are not guaranteed its location--I don't like that. The best rooms a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Piedmont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

There was no regular room cleaning, no laundry facilities, the air conditioner was right next to the bed and was very noisy, and an underground parking garage that was difficult to maneuver in. The concierge was rude when I asked for a map of the area. The train whistles all day and most of the night so they give you ear plugs!

Room Tip: the train tracks are right out the back of the building so ask for a beach side room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Granby, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is my first post to tripadvisor...I really want to share my experience with other families. This property is very lovely and super clean. The location right on the beach is fantastic and the pool is beautiful and overlooks the pier and ocean. I took the train here (great experience on Amtrak) with my two kids after a two day stay in Anaheim/Disneyland hoping that we could walk around the town to eat, etc. and avoid renting a car. We checked in and were given the typical time share speech. I told them that I was absolutely not interested and they left me alone after that. We proceeded to walk a couple blocks inland to get some snacks, etc. for the kids and we were scared. I was approached twice by people (one very rude and aggressive) asking for money and then we were followed by a couple of different guys for a while. We speed walked back to the hotel (which is crawling with security guards by the way) and returned to the room and my son curled into the fetal position and said he was scared. This was not the beach vacation experience this mom and kids were dreaming of. Needless to say, I quickly called Enterprise and rented a car so we wouldn't have to walk anymore. We were honestly afraid to leave the resort. Cute town but tons of very sketchy people hanging around. I don't know what the deal is. We ate dinner near the Oceanside harbor one night and that area seemed nicer. But I would say go to Carlsbad instead...it's very quaint and much more family friendly in my opinion.

Anchorage, AK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The facility is lovely, clean, and rooms are well stocked. Oceanside is a little seedier than its neighbor Carlsbad, but I suspect the prices reflect that. The Wyndham is nicely located for an easy walk to the beach, the pier and casual dining. The pool was clean, warm and a great place to hang out with both sun and shade.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the pool or ocean, the backside rooms face the train which always whis...
Hendersonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I can see the ocean from my unit. The iconic pier is outside my window. Although the surrounding area is less than perfect, the resort is fresh and modern. The two bedroom unit is spacious and well stocked with amenities, kitchen supplies, toiletries etc. Nice flat screen televisions and down comforters make watching television in bed a treat. We have a Jacuzzi and roomy master bath. The second bedroom is small but nice. You can take the train to San Diego and avoid the traffic.

Room Tip: The views are better from the higher floors.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I wanted to stay on the beach for our week-long getaway. This place is right on the beach, right next to the Oceanside Pier (as the name indicates). Even though we stayed there as a couple, we could see that the resort would be ideal for families. The staff was very friendly and attentive...even the folks working in housekeeping and maintenance. We absolutely loved the restaurant that is attached to the resort called 333. They have fabulous $7 martinis made with any kind of vodka you can imagine. You HAVE to try the Key Lime Martini...OMG!

Very clean, modern and beautiful ocean views. I surfed at the pier every day I was there!

We got a 20% discount through my company which belongs to a discount program called Wild at Work, so that made our trip even nicer.

Would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I rarely ever write a review. I am easy to please really.

Clearly I do not know the meaning of a resort.

We arrived late last night for a romantic evening to our "studio suite." You have to sign your life away at check-in. Then because the "concierge" was not here, you have to get a temporary parking permit for which I was awakened at 8 AM by the new concierge to get my "welcome packet" or my car will be towed.

Then we get to the room .. We are on the 3rd floor FACING THE TRAINTRACKS! A train comes by every 5 minutes from 8am to midnight. That would have been nice to know when booking my $200 a night room! There are earplugs on the alarm clock. The "two person jacuzzi" barely fits one. Oh and the bed is not comfy to top it off.

Skip this place. It sucks.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort? Share your experiences!