“You, too, can drive on the beach!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Attractions in Oceano
Type: Parks, Outdoors
California
13 attraction reviews
“You, too, can drive on the beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

In a sedan no less. You don't need a four-wheel drive. Plus, driving out onto the beach is the only way to get close to see the sand dunes, unless you'd ready to hike or rent an ATV.

I think Oceano is the only state beach in California that allows you to drive your own vehicle out onto the sand. Highly recommend it — we didn't get stuck, and you just don't get closer to the water than that. We were there in early January, so we almost had the entire beach to ourselves. I imagine it is much more crowded in the summer time. What fun!

Helpful hints: Try to plan your visit as close as possible to low tide. Ask the park ranger about the creek crossing, too. There is a permanent sign that says you're not supposed to cross it, but apparently (according to the ranger) that is only during high tide.

Also, be sure — very, very sure — to drive only the dark, wet sand. (Not the white sand.) You may want to observe and see how other vehicles do it for awhile and ask the ranger plenty of questions before venturing out.

Some local residents stopped and showed us how to cross the creek. They also recommended we go skydiving. That is where we drew the line.

Visited January 2013

San Jose, California
27 attraction reviews
“Great Place, Even if you Just want to Sit or Walk the Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Best place to go to the beach around Pismo is Oceano, even if you don't have or want to ride the dunes, can drive right onto the beach, if you go left it will take you to the dunes, but if you go right, it is a beautiful beach, not crowed and great to sit, walk, or relax. Usually not very crowded and if you want to find shells, there are plenty wide open beach.

Visited January 2013
Burlington, Washington
25 attraction reviews
“Unbelievable sand dunes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I only visit the dunes on weekdays in the winter when almost no one is around. I enjoy riding the dunes on a motorcycle, so I won't go when there's a crowd. For me the sand is best right after a good rain and I never run a paddle, just a big motor and a regular knobby. Hopefully the environmental nuts won't get this shrinking park closed altogether.

Visited February 2012
Hartsville, South Carolina, United States
16 attraction reviews
“Uh, a drive on the beach?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A nice drive on the beach. Beware of soft sand and streams crossing the beach. Also beware of people driving like idiots.

Visited June 2012
Duxbury, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
“Another World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I felt like I was in Egypt or some other exotic place because these dunes were the biggest dunes I have ever seen! We visited for less than an hour and saw only 3 other people that were way off in the distance. It is a place where people ride ATVs but the dunes are so big and the area vast, that we heard them but never saw them. We visited from the campground side, but I guess there is a nice beach on the other. If you have a camper, that may be a very cool place to stay.

Visited October 2012