“It would not be Christmas without the Union Hotel !!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Occidental
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night Food, Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Petaluma, California, USA
“It would not be Christmas without the Union Hotel !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Tonight we made our annual pilgrimage to the Union Hotel to start our Christmas celebrations. My daughter and son-in-law arrived early this morning and our first family outing was to Occidental. As always, we were greeted like long lost family, the service was terrific and the food could not be beat. We started by sharing bruschetta and then moved on to our salads, pizza dough beard sticks, salami & cheese, marinated kidney beans and clam chowder. My main dish was a rib eye steak cooked to perfection and topped with sautéed mushrooms. It was accompanied by potatoes, veggies and raviolis. For desert, we shared apple and banana fritters with our coffee. Before we left, we toured the various dining rooms and admired the Christmas decorations. My favorite tree was covered with slices of dried fruit. My daughter loved the gingerbread stars hanging from the ceiling in the café. Christmas only happens once a year, but great meals happen every day at the Union Hotel. Nom Nom!

Duncans Mills, California, United States
“What a Beautiful Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

My husband and I stopped in Occidental the other night; actually it was a fortuitous evening to stop in as it was the Union Hotel's annual caroling and cookie night! What a surprise! The Hotel opens their ballroom doors to the public, giving out to everyone fantastic hot apple cider and homemade hand-decorated Christmas cookies! There were thousands displayed on tables and children of all ages had a difficult time in picking just the right one. We had dinner that night, as well, and I must say the food was very good. It was the old style Italian dinner with an upgrade. The bruschetta and New England clam chowder were my favorites there -- and of any I have tasted (although the Christmas cookies were mighty good, too!) Our server, Susan, took care of our every need. It was a wonderful evening of feeling like family.

Bodega Bay, California
“The Ghost of Christmas present mixed with Ghosts of Christmas past sheer Elegance! Wonderful Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I arrived at the Union Hotel, a place I have visited many times in the past, but alas not as frequently as I would like and was struck immediately by the festive atmosphere and warmth from the staff...I had a Petit Filet and Salad and a Bear Republic Racer 5 and enjoyed the holiday atmosphere and thirties charm of the building and seemingly the ghost of Christmas past as you had a sense of timelessness and being part of something which has endured a long happy time. Children are welcome and the food was delicious. I remembered to go visit as I saw a recent article in the Press Democrat about the cookie party held annually in which 3000 cookies are made and given out to the community and caroling and hot cider is had by all....A tradition stretching more than 25 years now...Do yourself a favor and go visit the Union before the holidays are over.

Sonoma, California
“Great place for the entire family and the food is the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I now know where to go when we take our family of six out to a nice dinner. The Union Hotel in Occidental has a special feel right when you walk through the door. The owner and staff treat you like their "best customers" even if it's your first visit. The food tastes fresh, homemade, and wonderful, with it's big portions, we were stuffed after dinner with lot's of left overs to take home. The service is friendly and really great as well. It's worth it know matter where you live to visit the town of Occidental and have a wonderful meal and experience at the Union Hotel. I can't wait to go back.

Monte Rio, Calif.
“Fantastic Food & Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I love the ambiance of this old world restaurant. They have a take out place also. I live in a town nearby and many times we get food to go like the pizza's & other choices like salads, soups, raviolies, and it all it excellent. The minestrone soup is so good with huge chunks of veggies, their garlic bread with real garlic pieces is to die for. Their pizzas are incredible. If you like dessert their homemade pies or fritters or anything is delicious. They also have a bakery which has an amazing choice of delicious pastries. They bake their own sour dough bread and it is also fantastic. Very crusty outside and very flavorville. I am from San Francisco where I was born, and I know great bread. You can have the homestyle menu which includes anti-pasta, salad, soup, ravioli, and your main dish. It is very filling so be hungry. All is delicious. Or we like to have the clam chowder, salad, and a delicious rib eye steak. My sons love the homemade lasagna, which is so thick and delicious. They also love the famous apple fritters for dessert. In the summer you can sit outside in their lovely garden. But, for now they have a huge indoor sdinning roo,m and a smaller room for the to go orders or if you just want a hamburger or pizza to eat there. Their hamburgers by the way, also are delicious as are their fries. I don't know of anything that they serve that we don't like. I have been going there since I was a child, and it has not changed much. The huge old bar is also nice and from the 1800's I believe. The atmosphere brings you back to another time, we just love it. My husband and I ate there the other night and really enjoyed it.