“Truly worth the wait” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 1,119 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Oakland, California
“Truly worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I have been living in oakland for over 25 years and never tried chicken and waffles anywhere - just didn't appeal to me. Then a friend raved about this place. I jumped out of my comfort zone, and I am so glad I did. The combo of the very best fried chicken I've ever had and the lightest waffles on the planet was the best breakfast of my life. Even the OJ was incredible- almost too sweet. On a nice day, the wait is pleasant and fun people-watching. Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Benicia, California
“A little different menu, atmosphere, location. Fried chicken, ribs. Very good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review, because it is not great Italian or seafood. It is chicken, ribs, pancakes. A different more cafe feel, but with really great food. And the location is in an industrial area, with good street parking.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fresno, CA
“Too Difficult to Choose My Breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Everything looked so good... plates of fried chicken and waffles sailing by for other patrons... The heat was on... I was the last at the table to order... my partner had ordered the chicken and waffles. I ordered the veggie scramble, hoping to do some grazing and sharing. What a breakfast! I have never eaten a biscuit so light, fluffy and buttery as this. I was never much of a waffle fan until this morning... I was born again. All of life clicked into place. Until I ate the chicken and heaven appeared!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Boulder, Colorado
“Good but, C'mon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We got there about 11 on a Sunday, not the best timing. Good hour wait with the crowds outside on a beautiful, sunny day. Coffee nothing to write home about. When we sat, we started with a bacon, cheddar, scallion biscuit-tasty. My fried chicken and waffles was as advertised. The waffles were all air and crunch, and the apple cider syrup was unique, but you would need a heaping plateful to fill your tummy. Chicken good but not outstanding. My wife's BBQ shrimp and grits were delicious, but so rich we couldn't finish it between the two of us. My son wolfed down his eggs and grits. Excellent service. A great breakfast place, though pricey, but I'm not sure what being the number 5 rated restaurant says about the competition.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gwynn Oak, Maryland
“Worth Trying If You Have Time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I read the reviews and wanted to try some good "comfort food" while in San Francisco. it wasn't too bad.

Location - Located just across the Lincoln Bridge from San Francisco, you can easily miss this place . It is located in an industrial area near the harbor in a small building set on its own corner. The building is small but it fit fairly comfortably what seemed like 50-60 people plus a "bar. They make it work! Parking might be an issue if it's filled to capacity. You park along the street alongside or in back of the building. I think you could park on the other side of the street across from the building but it didn't look like it.

Service - There was a short wait when we arrived about 2 on a Friday. The hostess and servers were nice and paid attention to the needs of our table of 3. Great service

Food- We didn't order the "chicken and waffles" but blackened catfish, gumbo, beignets, and ribs. For those from Louisiana skip the gumbo and catfish you might be disappointed. The gumbo roux was a little oily, thinner had more okra than expected but the spice was good. It wasn't the traditional gumbo flavor but non traditionalists might like it. Tip add the cornbread (which is REALLY GOOD) to the gumbo. It makes a huge difference in taste and flavor. Skip the "honey butter" it didn't do much for the cornbread which can stand on its own. The catfish was good not spicy or super flavorful but decent, it seems like it was missing something. The ribs were good so definitely order them they might be great with the waffles. They don't come with sauce but that's ok they're good without sauce. The beignets were okay but don't expect Cafe Du Monde, try them they're decent. Can you have too much powder sugar on beignets? Overall the food was ok..I think there must be a "Californian" spin on cajun food that I'm not use to.

Atmosphere- Great atmosphere..good reggae playing but not overpowering conversations. Good energy!

Value- I think it was a little overpriced for the kinds of food but we're tourists :). We'll take one for the team.

Overall - Good experience worth trying or at least checking off the list while in the area.

• 3 of 5 stars Food