“Easter Sunday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 999 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Family Fare
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Carson, California
“Easter Sunday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

It was very crowded and we had an hour wait. Usually that means a place has good food. My wife had the chicken and waffles and I had the gumbo and skillet cornbread. The staff was friendly and polite. There was seating provided for those waiting indoors and more outdoors. I had a Mimosa while waiting. I felt the prices were a little high, but that is par for the Bay area. My gumbo made with chicken, sausage and okra was very tasty. The cornbread was excellent. I tasted my wife's chicken and waffles and the waffles were very light and good. The chicken was also moist with rich buttermilk batter. Was too full for beignets-they looked good though. I recommend this as a nice eating option is Oakland.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Santa Cruz, California, United States
“Brown Sugar Kitchen, Oakland, CA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Unusual, "nondescript" (i.e., if you didn't know where it was, you'd drive right by and miss the dining experience of your life.) It was suggested we order chicken and waffles--house specialty, I'm told--but boldly ordered what person next to us had ordered, "composed salad with smoked trout," out of my comfort zone, but... well, superb food, friendly staff, great atmosphere. I'm told owner is frequently interviewed on NPR.

Smoked trout and salad came to $12.50, a bargain!

Like others comment... "There was about a 30 minute wait..."

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
michigan
“Very good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

There was about a 30 min wait on a Saturday. Not too bad. Sat outside drinking coffee enjoying the weather. First time trying chicken & waffles and they were really good. The chicken was juicy and the waffles were a little crispy. We also ordered beignets as an appetizer and didn't get them. The server was very apologetic and gave us some on the house. Worked out well because we had them for dessert. They were also very good. I would go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
El Sobrante, California
“Best Waffles Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Try the chicken and waffles. I have never had better waffles and the chicken is to die for.
They also do lattes. Don't be put off by the long wait. If you don't want to wait, get there early.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Central Florida, Florida
“Overhyped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

In a slummy part of Oakland surrounded by industry. There is almost always a line here and sometimes long waits.

The food was good. I've had much of the menu; ordered the fried chicken and waffles, the beignets, the grits etc. Usually a fair wait for the food. I'm a coffee addict and I don't like their coffee! This is one place where I'm grateful when they forget to refill my cup!!

The chicken is OK, a buttermilk variation but have had better. The waffles are good, a cornmeal variant, but again had better. I travel all over the country so have plenty of other restaurants to compare with.

I generally have guests with me. We eat there because of the proximity. When on my own, I eat elsewhere. It is expensive for what you get; usually $20-30 per person for breakfast... I've had better waffles and chicken in another city and paid $6 for it including coffee, a real steal!!!

This is a destination restaurant built on hype as are so many others. Generally I've found that the more media coverage a place gets, the more politicians hang there, the higher the price and inability to meet overblown expectations.

• Visited January 2013