“Very good!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Family Fare
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
michigan
“Very good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

There was about a 30 min wait on a Saturday. Not too bad. Sat outside drinking coffee enjoying the weather. First time trying chicken & waffles and they were really good. The chicken was juicy and the waffles were a little crispy. We also ordered beignets as an appetizer and didn't get them. The server was very apologetic and gave us some on the house. Worked out well because we had them for dessert. They were also very good. I would go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

El Sobrante, California
“Best Waffles Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Try the chicken and waffles. I have never had better waffles and the chicken is to die for.
They also do lattes. Don't be put off by the long wait. If you don't want to wait, get there early.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Central Florida, Florida
“Overhyped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

In a slummy part of Oakland surrounded by industry. There is almost always a line here and sometimes long waits.

The food was good. I've had much of the menu; ordered the fried chicken and waffles, the beignets, the grits etc. Usually a fair wait for the food. I'm a coffee addict and I don't like their coffee! This is one place where I'm grateful when they forget to refill my cup!!

The chicken is OK, a buttermilk variation but have had better. The waffles are good, a cornmeal variant, but again had better. I travel all over the country so have plenty of other restaurants to compare with.

I generally have guests with me. We eat there because of the proximity. When on my own, I eat elsewhere. It is expensive for what you get; usually $20-30 per person for breakfast... I've had better waffles and chicken in another city and paid $6 for it including coffee, a real steal!!!

This is a destination restaurant built on hype as are so many others. Generally I've found that the more media coverage a place gets, the more politicians hang there, the higher the price and inability to meet overblown expectations.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Northern CA
“Wonderful Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Went here late on a Tuesday morning, thinking we might avoid the lunch crowd, but almost every table was taken, even at 11 AM. The hostess graciously let us take a moment to decide. Rather than wait for a table, we chose the counter seating so we could watch the staff do the cooking.

We ordered the chicken & waffle and the gumbo, with an appetizer of freshly made beignets, dusted with powdered sugar and washed down with excellent house-brewed coffee. It was fun to see the chef take the beignets out, plate them, powder them and whisk them to our waiting counter spaces. They were light, sweet and the perfect starting point for our meal.

The chicken was tender and not greasy; the waffle light and with a hint of cinnamon. I felt that it was just the right portion of food, filling but not heavy. The gumbo came served in a large bowl with a side of some of the best cornbread I have ever had. All around me, people were eating the macaroni and cheese, jerk chicken, and other dishes I will have to try on my next visit. Yes, there will definitely be a next visit, LOL.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Menlo Park CA
“Worth the trip for the cornbread alone.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Easy to find with GPS. Gotta drive to get there.
This is a breakfast/ lunch place, as it closes at 3pm. Blackened catfish cooked perfectly. Did not try the waffles, but they were served at the next table. Return trip is mandatory. New Orleans inspired menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere