“Wonderful Meal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 1,075 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Northern CA
“Wonderful Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Went here late on a Tuesday morning, thinking we might avoid the lunch crowd, but almost every table was taken, even at 11 AM. The hostess graciously let us take a moment to decide. Rather than wait for a table, we chose the counter seating so we could watch the staff do the cooking.

We ordered the chicken & waffle and the gumbo, with an appetizer of freshly made beignets, dusted with powdered sugar and washed down with excellent house-brewed coffee. It was fun to see the chef take the beignets out, plate them, powder them and whisk them to our waiting counter spaces. They were light, sweet and the perfect starting point for our meal.

The chicken was tender and not greasy; the waffle light and with a hint of cinnamon. I felt that it was just the right portion of food, filling but not heavy. The gumbo came served in a large bowl with a side of some of the best cornbread I have ever had. All around me, people were eating the macaroni and cheese, jerk chicken, and other dishes I will have to try on my next visit. Yes, there will definitely be a next visit, LOL.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Menlo Park CA
“Worth the trip for the cornbread alone.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Easy to find with GPS. Gotta drive to get there.
This is a breakfast/ lunch place, as it closes at 3pm. Blackened catfish cooked perfectly. Did not try the waffles, but they were served at the next table. Return trip is mandatory. New Orleans inspired menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Martha's Vineyard
“A 'must eat' destination! Yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I can't get the shrimp and grits off my mind; a large bowl with an ample amount of sauce to smother the grits in an incredible flavor (just spicy enough) with a generous portion of shrimp. Loved it! My fellow diner raved about the chicken and waffles. There were customers waiting outside and the restaurant was packed. We sat at the counter, so our wait was short. It was fun to watch the quick efficiency of the kitchen. This restaurant is a large clean room with great style. I'd be a regular if I lived in the Bay area. I highly recommend it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tracy, California
“A good place for good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants. Whether it's breakfast or lunch, you will not be disappointed with the Brown Sugar Kitchen. Although you may encounter a wait, this laid back restaurant is worth the time. The service is good and friendly. Nice size portions without feeling overly stuffed at the end of your meal. The ribs are some of the best I've tested. Ironically, better than most "rib joints." (Chef Tonya recently opened another restaurant B Side which has good BBQ) Go several times and if there are specials, do try one. I was told many of the cooks are culinary students or recent graduates of culinary schools. If there is any truth to this it's in the consistency and quality of the food. Each time, I've been everything has also tasted the same which is a good thing.

• Visited April 2012
Santa Rosa, California
“Worth the weekend wait!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We came here on the recommendation of a foodie friend and were glad we did. We had to wait about 40 minutes on a Saturday morning at 10 (promised 45) but you can get coffee, lattes and a biscuit if you can't wait. The coffee was excellent. With friends we were able to try several different things, but as others have recommended, the chicken and waffles were great as were the beignets. Would also recommend the pork hash and poached eggs (hash had a nice little bit of spice). Poached eggs and cheddar cheese grits were also good. It is a bustling busy place but we had great, attentive, friendly service will good timing on the coffee and water refills. They have a nice security guard walking around the lot and street so we felt very safe.

• Visited December 2012