“Busy!!! But worth it..” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 1,068 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Los Angeles
“Busy!!! But worth it..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This kitchen is very busy. But it is well worth the wait. There was a line, but, I was alone, so I was able to eat at the counter, which was FANTASTIC!!! You have a full view of the kitchen which moves at lightening and precise speed. Everyone was having the chicken and waffles, which I know is there signature dish. I had the cheese grits and eggs with the biscuits. Lovely...

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Try the chicken & waffle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am a connoisseur of fried chicken! I read about the owner in O Magazine some while ago(that's Oprah Winfrey in case you didn't know) and decided we had to stop in to see "if" it was good or not! On a score of 10...If I had a paddle marked 11 she would've gotten it!

IT WAS BETTER THAN GOOD! It was worth the drive from Los Angeles good! The waffle was unlike anything I've EVER tasted! The homeabde syrup was light and not too sweet. A perfect pairing for this dish! Back to the waffle....It was fluffy light and melted in your mouth! The owner was on hand this day and she was pleasant and inviting! NOTE: Can get crowded since it's a popular spot so call ahead but try her for breakfast around 7:30am. Then by noon (when you're hungry make a drive to her companion BBQ restaruant (B-Side BBQ) closeby.

• Visited October 2012
Oakland, California
“Why the lines?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I love what the owner has done for West Oakland. It was a very daring move to open up a restaurant in the middle of an industrial area, but none the less, there is always a line here. Therein lies my lack of understanding. Why?

The food was OK. I ordered the fried chicken and waffles, along with an order of beignets to share. We waited for about 30-40 minutes after ordering, on top of the 30 minute wait to be seated before the beignets showed up. Definitely pad your stomach first if you are hungry.

The chicken was battered, fried, and then baked to a final crisp in front of us. While the batter was well seasoned and of appropriate texture, I found the chicken to be overcooked. The waffle was excellent - light and airy, and not too filling.

The total bill worked out to be about $25 per person. For chicken and waffles. A bit expensive, and a bit overrated. The owner has since then opened up a BBQ joint, called B-sides BBQ, which in my opinion is similar in price range, but has more unique food offerings in a less crowded environment.

Visited April 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“A unique food experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Fried chicken and waffles? Why not. Wonderful combinations. Great selection of sides to go along with a very flavorful main dish.

California
“Three words: Shrimp and grits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Brown Sugar Kitchen review for Trip Advisor

I've been eating here for years. I discovered this restaurant after my sister saw a profile of it on a TV show and wanted to try it out when she was in town visiting.

When I first started patronizing Brown Sugar Kitchen, it was still new and one could walk in and get a table relatively easily. I remember chatting with the owner (Tanya) and her husband (Phil). They are very personable and great to converse with. This may be one of the main reasons I continue to come back.

While there are sometimes long lines now (best if you go solo as there usually is a seat at the bar), it is absolutely worth the wait!

I tend to order the same thing -- the barbecue shrimp and grits. The grits alone are wonderful -- creamy and full of flavor. Add the sauce and shrimp, and it is heaven!

I also love the macaroni and cheese (cheesy goodness), the cornmeal waffle is divine (light, fluffy and delicious) and the chicken is pretty good as well. Try a biscuit, and if it’s cool outside (or even if it isn’t) the hot chocolate is decadent!

• Visited October 2012