“Best Italian Deli....” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Sonoma, CA
“Best Italian Deli....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The service is great, the sliced salami is fantastic, the sour dough rolls for sandwiches are fantastic, and you could have a different custom sandwich made for weeks... Oh yeah, whenever, I travel East, North, or South, the number one request is for a pound of sliced salami, which travels well for flights...

A few of the staff have been here, since those past days. However, you cannot go wrong in letting the staff put their favorite sandwich, together for you, once they get to know you... All of the 'cold cuts' in the display are great in sandwiches, and the cheese selection is second to none...

I would highly recommend getting there, before the crowds, hit around noon,or after the noon crowd, and you can take your time with your selections... The staff is very knowledgeable...

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Oakland, CA
“Now here's a great deli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Before I had to get off wheat and cheese, this was one of my favorite places to get a sandwich. Each one is made to order while you wait from a variety of fresh deli meats and cheeses - sourdough rolls, dutch crunch rolls and what other breads. These are generously sized for a big appetite but you can order half. They sell delicous housemade frozen lasagnas, tortellini and a huge array of deli salads. Please try the fried artichoke balls. Yummy! And since they expanded several years back, they now have room for a salad bar. Plus hundreds of imported pastas, olive oils, canned goods, cookies and cakes from Italy. This place was opened decades ago when the Temescal neighborhood was largely Italian immigrants. Since then the 2 Italian hardware stores and most of the families moved away over 40 years ago but this place is the real deal. However the Colombo social club is still up the block and I would be willing to bet those families still stock up when they are in the neighborhood.

By the way for those with nut allergies they make the most delicious pesto and it has no nuts!

Visited September 2012
Oakland, California
“Fabulous sandwiches made to order!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is our favorite place to go get a deli sandwich. The lines can be long at times but it is worth the wait. Clean, interesting items on the shelves for sale, the quality is obvious and the food delicious. I ask them to scoop out the bread a bit on the rolls when I order so it is not quite so filling. They will accommodate.

Visited June 2012
SF Bay Area
“Great deli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is our source for the amazing boudin noir, or blood sausage, from Pacific Gourmet Co. We ate this at Bistro Jeanty/Yountville, and were excited to find Genova carries it. If you like liver, this is a magnificent example of French charcuterie: soft, rich, and delectable!

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oakland, California
“The best sandwich, period”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

After about 500 sandwiches, I am not kidding, I first went to Genova at their old location, I speak with experience as a background. They make a great sandwich. A wide variety of meats, and, all the additions are fresh. Combine the ingredients on a fresh roll and there you have it. They also have hot food which is pretty good. But, I come here for the sandwich. A while back I noticed that they use red lights to light up the meat counter. I jokingly mention that to the owner who shot me an icy stare inviting me to leave if I didn't like it. But, where would I go without my Genova sandwich. So, I meekly accepted my admonishment and kept on coming. That was about 200 sandwiches ago.