“Excellent neighborhood Mexican food” 5 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Ranked #220 of 1,046 restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Mexican
Oakland, California, United States
“Excellent neighborhood Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I usually frequent Otaez on the weekend nursing a slight hangover and wanting some good Mexican comfort food. Otaez delivers! I love going in the later morning when the families and other bar casualties are there. I usually have the machaca (shredded beef with scrambled eggs, peppers, tomato & onions) and a Negra Modelo. The portions are generous and the waitstaff hustles when it gets busy. I have tried a number of other dishes on the menu, with any of the seafood soup combos being extremely tasty and of good value. I think the Alameda location is better suited to the festive bar crowd, the food taking a back seat to the cocktail scene. I have been supporting Otaez for nearly 10 years because of the warm, friendly service and the consistent, flavorful cuisine they offer.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

% Recommend
Meadville, Pennsylvania
“the best all-around Mexican in Oakland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I love Otaez!! I often come here just for the taqueria side of the restaurant where you can get all kinds of delicious tacos (chicken is my favorite here) as well as papusas (my favorite is the chicharones). And it all will cost you maybe $5. Next door in the sit down restaurant be prepared for very large portions. My favorite is pork in green sauce with the most amazing chick peas I've ever had. A definite must try!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oakland, California
“Good basic Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Like this outpost. The food seems more flavorful than their alameda location. They also have a good taqueria. I recommend the lengua and tripe tacos.

Oakland, California
“Favorite East Bay Mex Joint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

Excellent homestyle fare, one of my favorite East Bay Mexican joints. Stellar sopes and tacos, and the refried beans are so savory and tasty, I find myself craving them. Tender, mouth-watering carnitas and spicy al pastor pork. Extensive menu with tons of fresh, reasonably priced mariscos dishes. Also great for weekend desayunos--especially the red chilaquiles, perfect with a Sunday morning tomato beer! Good American-style breakfast on offer as well, so you can come with a group of friends and everyone is pleased. Warm, friendly service, very popular with local neighborhood families. Highly recommended.