“Much Improved!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Las Vegas, NV
“Much Improved!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

From the reviews i was a bit nervous to stay here but i did stay here when i went to visit a colleague of mine and i was on a budget. The room i was put in was nice clean and the staff was friendly, the GM there was outstanding helping me find my way around the town and was very professional. I know this hotel has a bad rep but i can definitely see this place it trying to become a outstanding hotel. My only complaint was the train, but i can't win them all. Other then the train, the hotel was good for what i payed and for budget i was on.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

We booked a trip through expedia to this hotel and was under the impression we were booking at "Inn at Jack London square" which we had stayed before with much satisfaction. Do not make this mistake! This is the worst hotel I've ever been to. We checked into our first room and there were no towels, construction was going on outside the balcony, and it looked like someone urinated in the armchair. Disgusted - we went back to the front desk for her to show us 4 more rooms with the same quality. After a long phone call with expedia customer service we were able to get a full refund and go to The Inn at Jack london Square. Which i will be writing a GREAT review for them!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

We chose this hotel because we went to the Miami vs. Oakland game on 11/28/10 and we only needed a room for one night, so we booked 3 rooms. There was a group of 10 of us, but all family. The eye catcher for us was how cheap it was, but you get what you pay for. Personally, if the rooms had towels and the heat was working I would have been fine for ONE night because I just needed a few hours of sleep. I did not need a fancy TV, continential breakfast and the train really didn't bother me; however, that wasn't the case. Luckily for me, I had went to Target on Black Friday and caught a sell on towels and had bought plenty for my family's one use that I had with me. I was glad that they did have wireless internet so we were able to use our laptops, but the overall experience was not good and I won't be staying there again; however we did survive the one night. The hotel definitely needs updating because it does have some potential to at least be a 3 star hotel one day. Lastly, the staff was very friendly and they tried to accommodate us the best they could with what they had. The owner is cheap and probably wealthy and could have better reviews because the location is decent.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

This inn is nothing but a dirty, noisy, scary, disgusting place.
I'd rather stay in my car somewhere in the camping area than staying here for even 1 night and stand the dirty rooms, impolite personnel and noisy railroad and train passing by.
Breakfast was nothing but coffee and bread & jam (something they call complementary "continental" breakfast!)
all the corridors and were dark and dirty, reception was late and ignorance and rooms were totally disappointing (our bath was like public restroom in the middle of no where, like it's never been cleaned up for ages.
No only I will never ever stay here again, I dont recommend any guest to spend a night in here! :(

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Aptos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

This is the worst experience ever @ a hotel, From the looks of the hotel on there website it is all false, I will never stay here again or recommend to anyone & I will never let my boyfriend book our reservations again. We decided to stay @ this hotel cuz of friends staying there due to a "great discount" thru Orbitz & cuz it is close to a Football Flag Tournament in the area that our children had to be @ early morning. OMG when we arrived it was Scary me & my children didn't feel safe getting off the car. The Hotel is in a bad location the railroad track is just a few feet away from the Hotel...It is super loud. When we arrived to check in @ 9:45pm we were told that we had to wait for the night clerk to check us in & she would be arriving @ 10pm well she never arrived, He finally decided to give us keys to our rooms @ around 11pm, I was SOOOOOO upset, The carpet in the room was so dirty we had no towels the bathroom was leaking water from the ceiling the phone wasn't working, Me & my son son slept on the top bedspread, The man who was working the desk saw that I was pissed off & ended up giving us one comp room...We would've honestly rather paid for the second room & pay a higher rate to enjoy our stay, Get a goodnight sleep & feel safe.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

My Husband booked the reservation online with the buy "2 nites get one free". (It looked very nice on the website..clean and good amenities..but that was wrong to portray it that way as it is nothing like what it shows on the website) We tried to get out of it when we arrived and saw the actual accomodations were nothing at all like the pictures and claims on the website..but couldn't get out of it without paying for one nite which would be the highest priced nite. so we persevered and stayed..but it was really bad..we looked at 3 rooms before we finally settled and it was gross.No towels or soap, lamp didn't work. we didn't use the shower as it looked scarey/gross. Our room looked right out onto the parking area/garbage trash area (lovely). I always wore my shoes or slippers not letting my feet touch the filthy carpet. Someone had a party/reception on the Sat. nite down the hall in the big room where they had the comp. breakfast and the party with lots of noise, music, etc and people in the halls from it went on until way after 2:00 a.m. The train does literally go right on the street in front..lots of noise there. It was a scarey/dirty place and I don't now how the city even lets it remain open. I just got my Visa bill to pay for the 3 nites and it was another reminder of what a crappy place it is and what an experience it was staying there..I think it would have been better to just eat the fee for the one nite and find something else. It was a damper on our otherwise fun time in San Francisco and Alameda....Jack London Inn is a very bad place..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

"I don't stank! You stank!" Those words echoed down the hall and through the paper thin walls of our room. At 2am our fellow guests down the hall had started their loud and drunken party. Now it was 4:30am and the party had devolved into a screaming match in the hallway.

BANG BANG BANG. That is the sound of someone beating on the door of our room. While our calls to the front desk had failed to summon any hotel staff, our neighbors had taken the time from their drinking and fighting to tell us they did not appreciate our complaints. With some effort we barricaded the door with furniture and sat by the phone ready to call 911. Luckily the partiers had tired of harassing other hotel guests and returned to fighting amongst themselves.

When I left that morning for the first day of the bar exam, the party down the hall was still going. During the bar exam's lunch break my girlfriend and I gathered our things and left for another hotel. Judging by the other reviews on this web site, our experience was not unique. In short, I have spent the night in cheap Bolivian hotels next to soccer riots that were quieter than the Jack London Inn.

Assuming the other patrons had been quiet all night, I would still consider the Jack London Inn the worst hotel I had ever seen. The rooms displayed a level of filth and discomfort that mere neglect could never produce. The parking lot resembled a post apocalyptic junk yard. The halls reeked of cigarette smoke, body odor, and failure. Commuter rail trains, horns blasting, passed the hotel every few minutes.

I would have had a better experience drinking $45 of cheap wine and spending the night in Oakland's drunk tank than I had at the Jack London Inn for $45 a night. At least the jailer would have had the courtesy to tell the inmates to be quiet. If Jack London were alive today, he would change his name to avoid any association with this benighted hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Jack London Inn? Share your experiences!