“Disappointing ” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Embarcadero West, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
“Disappointing ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I appreciate that the hotel is currently upgrading but this was a very disappointing stay. Very dated and did not feel clean. The sheets and towels were extremely thin. No hairdryer in the bathroom. The heating/cooling didn't work so the room was very hot. The car park was dirty and not inviting.

The train that passes the hotel regularly blows the horn the whole way down the street so is very loud.

The staff member at reception (I think he was the manager) was very professional and friendly, however did take a long time to find our booking.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Berkeley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel very recently and I have to say, it was one of the worst experiences that I have ever had. My shower did not work, and I had zero hot water. Every other room on my floor was being remodeled and it showed. There was a thick layer of dust coating every surface of the hall and my door. There wasn't a smoke detector and out of the 4 lights in my room, 1 of them worked. The TV had a remote but the censor was so damaged, that I could not use it. The walls had huge holes that were poorly patched, and the carpets were missing in some places. When I complained to the staff, I was instantly dismissed and told that there as nothing that could be done about this. I will never stay here again

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Walnut Creek, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2015

ZERO - is completely and utterly deserved for this Inn. It most definitely is not a hotel.. and I've seen Motels in far better shape then this dingy dump. This entire experience was completely unbelievable!

The only reason I was even brought to this place is because there was a group of us - 4 girls headed to the bay area to meet a few friends at an easy taxi ride from this venues address. The reservations were set up by one of the other girls and there was a mix up, booked the wrong night. So after hunting for any possible last minute deals we decided to try and follow-through with this location due to the cost. We weren't going to be in the room all that long considering our short stay.

Our first sign, a lady was chewing the front desk clerk out as we all walked into the lobby......

We waited patiently while the lady finished up her argument. Some guy walked in from around the corner and sat down on the lobby couch like it was his living room. (Knowing what I know now, I would say that was probably the front desk girls boyfriend). After the highly upset lady leaves, said man disappears as well. The lobby is quite deceiving it's nothing incredibly fancy, but it's a false impression of what might be upstairs (seriously, do not judge a book by it's cover in this case). Heading up the extremely large (hospital like) elevator we get to our floor.. the carpets were archaic and the room doors look like those cheap hotel doors that are exposed to the outside elements.. wasn't what we were expecting considering the upstairs is completely enclosed. As we are walking along to our room.. we all notice that one of the doors doesn't even have a doorknob on it. Another one is smashed in like some cracked out maniac went Incredible Hulk on it.

As we let ourselves in the supposed 2 Queen beds.. more like doubles - are only covered with a sheet, literally. The room is freezing! One of the girls needs to tinkle so she runs to the restroom. As soon as she's done she yells out "the toilet doesn't flush!!" You've got to be kidding me.. with 4 adults.. that is an issue! After some intense jiggling and such we were able to get the toilet to flush. The towel isn't even big enough for a child to completely cover themselves.. and there is literally 1 towel and 1 washcloth. Yes, I'm serious. The window was facing the harbor but completely covered in moisture so you couldn't really see out of it at all.. Suddenly a huge train comes roaring by and.. um.. had the windows opened and one of us put our arms out the window I'm sure we would've had our arm ripped off by the train.. that's how close it came to this building.... not to mention ferociously loud even without the horn!

We quickly take inventory of what we need to even consider keeping our stay in this dreary place - more blankets, 2 extra pillows, more towels - if you can call them that, iron and iron board, etc. Possibly an entire room change. We make a plan to all go back downstairs and ask for the supplies.

As we get back downstairs the same front desk girl is there and we launch into our issues politely, but firmly, and ask for supplies. She told us that she could get more towels and the iron but we would have to wait. She couldn't get any more bedding or pillows at all. I took note that she was the only person at the front desk (at an Inn, with metal screen security doors, in the bay area at night), I suggested that we could grab the extra bedding and pillows from a few other rooms to accommodate ourselves and bring her back down the key. She said no, a reasonable answer in a place of business. Then we asked why we had to wait she said (the most unprofessional thing I've ever heard) "my boyfriends upstairs sleeping and so when he wakes up I will have him bring you towels." EXCUSE ME! We exchanged... 'oh no she didn't glances' and I asked her to repeat herself as if I hadn't heard her the first time.. she repeated herself exactly. I told her that was not very professional or courteous service at all. We asked for a refund which she said she couldn't do. Then she bickered back-and-forth with us a bit and then said (the 2nd most unprofessional thing I've ever heard)... "well you had to have seen our ratings and you booked the room anyway what did you expect?" What the..!? Yes, she literally said this my fellow travelers!!! I kid you not.

We asked for a refund one more time and she granted the request. We went upstairs grabbed our bags and high-tailed it out of there. This is NOT the place to cut corners with.

Room Tip: It's best for your health if you just don't utilize any of this facility.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Tangier, Morocco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2015

To avoid at least until total renewal, the room is ugly need more cleaning, old fashioned furniture, TV are with back; long time i didn't saw those TVs. beds are uncomfortable at all, pillow must be changed.... more care needed in rooms, the lift is so slow and give you the impression that will fell in breakdown any minute. WIFI is free but too slow.
crew are helpful and smiling all the time trying their best. (the only positive thing)
one last note: there is a train a loud one that pass nearby more or less every half an hour that sure will wake you up with its noisy horn if you are obliged to stay at this hotel ask for an inside room; less noise at least
I saw some workers hope they are working on giving a rebirth to this hotel

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Tusayan, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2015

If you don't care that the rooms are super ugly and dated then it's Okay. Otherwise stay at the Marriott. The sheets were clean. The plumbing worked. The staff was nice and helpful. The only thing that bothered me was the TV only got 15 channels. 10 English and 5 Spanish. All local stations. There are no cable channels. I did see some construction workers there, so they are trying to update the place. But, for now, the place is just very tired and worn out.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2015

I stay at the Jack London Inn regularly. The new ownership has brought in a manager there, Rolando who has really turned the hotel around. The rooms are newly renovated with hardwood floors, marble showers, and amenities one would expect in more expensive hotels. They offer continental breakfast in the lobby and free parking. There just isn't any comparison to other area hotels who are charging high prices for parking in the same locale. I don't work for the hotel. I am a seasoned traveler who recognizes the sincere efforts of hard working people like the General Manager and the head housekeeper, Olivia. This hotel is one to watch as an up and coming property that when renovations are completed will rival any in the area for quality of service and hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask for the fourth floor if available. The renovations have started there and are working their way...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2015

Then come to this hotel! don't be fooled by the remodel. They only replaced the carpet with cheap wood floors and that's it. I'm fighting the false $150 cleaning charge. I'm fighting a false charge on my credit card and I'm sure the roaches were able to sleep better than I was. SHUT THIS PLACE DOWN!!!

Room Tip: If you want to commit suicide by jumping out of the window here then you can because the room window...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Rolando C, General Manager at Jack London Inn, responded to this review, January 31, 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am very concerned with these comments, and I promise you that I will personally look into this.

If you could contact me, I would be pleased to discuss this with you. Please accept our apologies, and our commitment that this will not happen again. We value you as our guest and will work hard to retain your business.

Best Regard,

Rolando Collantes, GM
510-444-2032
rcollantes@heritagehotelgroup.com

Been to Jack London Inn? Share your experiences!