“Can I give less than 1 star?” 1 of 5 stars

Jack London Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Embarcadero West, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #38 of 48 hotels in Oakland
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Can I give less than 1 star?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My recent stay at the Jack London Inn was, for lack of better words, less than desirable. The 'hotel' was not at all like what was represented on the Kayak website. I have images that I can share with you as proof of this filthy location. The room as I walked in was dirty, but as I looked around it only got worse. There were cigarette burns in the nightstand, desk, and table. There was what looked like someone was cooking something on the desk, I can assume that it was drugs with safe conscience. There were bodily stains and cigarette burns on the sheets. No blankets, not that I would have used one. The restroom was a disaster. There was one loop of paper around the toilet paper roll. When I attempted to use a tissue that was located in the side of the sink counter, I found only the tissue that was pulled out to display the tissues. One tissue. The sink counter and shower curtain were covered in what looked like someone broke a glow stick and waved it around the room. The bathtub was a nightmare. I was not able to take a shower in this room to prepare for a 7 hour flight back home. When I called down to the desk to ask for a fresh roll of toilet paper, I was told it would be right up. After 20 mins of waiting I walked down to the lobby to find some and also ask for some clean sheets. The person at the desk was a different person, he looked like a maintenance person that just happened to be passing through. This 'gentleman' said that it would be right up, and as I was walking to the elevator the person that I spoke to originally was walking in the door with an arm full of Chinese food. I can only assume that picking up his order was more important than assisting a paying customer. He agreed to retrieve the essentials for me and bring them up to my room. He set to it right away and even got in the elevator with me, enlisting a prostitute that was waiting in the lobby for her client to help him retrieve the sheet and toilet paper. I am an aspiring writer, but I can't make this stuff up. The only reason I didn't leave right away was that I didn't want to take my wife out into public this late at night in the terrible part of town that this hotel was located in. Did I mention the black stained washcloth that was neatly folded into the 'clean' towels left for us? I would like to add that I enjoy camping and have slept in and waded through mud in the jungle. I'm a tough it kind of guy. This was the most unsanitary experience of my life.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were placed in a back room with a view to the bins. The place smells smoke and it is not very well maintained. This was the last place were i use my credit card before the number was copied and used for an amount of 2.300 €; i don't want to mislead, but this is not the only comment on this issue for this hotel in may 2013.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here mid-May 2013. Credit card info stolen and used in San Jose.Only time I used the card on that trip.
So I'm looking to book a room in Oakland and I read a review of this place (on Priceline) and a customer's review (from April, 2013) said that credit card info stolen and used in San Jose.
You cannot check in without a credit card so this may be the source of the theft of credit card info.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

First of all, the lobby smelled like smoke. The guy behind the counter was nice and efficient. We got our key, Room# 308. When I opened the door, the first thing I noticed was the stained carpet. That turned me off. Then I saw the windows were also stained and dirty, I swear I didn't feel like touching anything!! The bedsheets looked like they had not been changed, the desk was full of white spots and the walls were an old yellow color. But the thing that pushed me over the edge was my partner screaming in horror. Why you ask? Well she was in the restroom and the toilet had stuck poop inside the bowl!!! GROSS!!!!! The toilet seat was stained a yellow/brown color. There's a vanity next to the bathroom that was stained by nail polish. For $95 a night I expect waaaayyyy more!!! I went back to the lobby, got my money and got the hell out! DON'T STAY HERE!!!!! p.s the pictures on the website did not match

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The rooms are run down, but clean. Our biggest complaint was there were four of us in a room and they would NOT give us four towels, even after repeated requests. We stayed four nights. The one time we got the extra two towels, housekeeping had a horrible attitude. If you are looking for a bed and a shower this is a good hotel for the price, just do not expect to get any towels. It is right next to train tracks, but you get used to it and the smell of marijuana.

Room Tip: Ask for the back for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Burke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

In a place like the Bay area, it is difficult to give an objective opinion on price vs worth. So I will try to keep to the "facts".
I stayed here for 2 nights, using it strictly as a place for bed and shower.
The room is clean and the room cleanup is good. Linen is fresh and clean,
The bathroom is a bit old but the shower is good. The walls are thin, and expect to be woken up by early risers in other rooms.
I asked the front desk for tea bags, but they couldnt be bothered to get us any.
The hotel is very conveniently located, and is in a safe area of Oakland.

Room Tip: The pool level has lot of traffic
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Luis Obispo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

This was certainly very close to the concert we went to at Yoshi's - we were able to walk to the show a block away and the bed was comfortable but the place is rundown! Felt safe and there is a 'chicken and waffles' diner next door. The front desk was. The front desk attentive with our need for an ironing board. Be prepared for no frills

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Jack London Inn? Share your experiences!