“Not Good” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Saratoga Springs, New York, United States
“Not Good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The room was dirty. The room lighting was marginal. Sounds of trains going by in front kept us awake. It was just bad experience. Checked out the next morning. We expected it to be nearer to the Jack London waterfront.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Gulf Shores, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I booked this hotel online last week and stayed for a week, with my main priorities being bed, shower and cheapest price in a good, safe location. Jack London Inn didn't disappoint in that respect. It's a budget hotel, so I wasn't expecting much beyond that and was happily surprised by the experience. The room was clean and comfortable, free wi-fi (I was worried about that one because I live on my computer!), cable, nice, comfortable bed and a good working heater (did I mention how cold Oakland is?!) and the bathroom had everything I needed. Great water pressure and the hot water really took the chill out of my bones. I'm from Alabama and didn't quite prepare for how cold Northern California is. And I loved the location in Jack London Square. Lots of restaurants, clubs, and the waterfront along the Bay is beautiful with all the boats and the ferry to San Francisco. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I found a Ben & Jerry's two blocks down. Seriously, a shop that sells nothing but Ben & Jerry's ice cream, with a movie theater right across the street. And downtown Oakland and the BART station were an easy walk.

But the best part was that the room I was in had a sliding glass door that led onto a deck with lounge chairs and tables that overlooked the square and waterfront. Really great view. The trains were quaint running along right in front of the hotel, but the horns took some getting used to, so the employee at front desk in the lobby was nice enough to give me earplugs so I could sleep. I ended up not even needing them. Totally worth it!

Room Tip: Try to get something with a deck or balcony. They overlook the square.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

the service was courteous and professional. The hotel is old and can use some upgrading but all in all, it is clean and definitely worth the price. My room was comfortable and had the normal amenities of most hotels. I could hear train noise but the sound was not intolerable. Most hotels that I stay at have noise, either from other rooms or exterior. There was no breakfast but I don't like the food most hotels serve therefore no issue. the swimming pool was not operational but I do not swim in public pools. the exercise room had average exercise equipment. The linens in the room were clean. Checked out the bed for the little cridders and could not see any. Carpet was old but clean. I would stay here on my next visit to the area. Cannot beat the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Goleta, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Jack London Inn is the least costly hotel for miles and the rate includes parking. BUT the train tracks to the Port of Oakland and the Oakland AMTRAK station are in the middle of the street in front of the Inn. The first train passed within 15 minutes of my arrival. The trains blow their horn constantly. It was LOUD, but only one train. NO, there were many, one about every 15 minutes at some times. My room was on the front side second floor, likely the worst in the hotel. Back side rooms should be much quieter.

Now to the room, a cut below Motel 6. A fairly clean cheap motel when you need one and don't wish to spend more.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back of the hotel! The rooms on the front are VERY noisy!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I don't know where to begin! Should I start with the roaches, extremely nasty carpet, NO TOWELS, no toilet paper, trains rolling by all night, or maybe I should warn you that the garbage in the halls reeked of stale ? and there was a cloud of insects flying inside the garbage and roaches running hiding inside, yes I said hiding. The first thing I noticed was when I drove in the parking garage. There was a car there with both doors open, yet no one inside -hmmm. If there are two of you, make sure one stays up all night and watches your car. My car alarm went off once and when I went to check, there was a hooded man sitting on top of a pick-up truck next to my car. I moved my car! The car alarms go off all night, and I don't think it's because of the trains! The view from my window was a badly tattered rooftop with a diaper thrown on top of the roof!? The only good thing about this hotel was the location and staff, they were very friendly. The location is in a very trendy, touristy part of Oakland, ahem, with lots of drug addicts and prostitutes. How dare they call this place a hotel! There's more people, but seriously, don't ruin your vacation by staying at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

we come in september 2012 for 2 days when we get to the hotel ( motel)
we get a room the toilet dosent work no light in room the ac was with air with smoke smile . and the area was very terible becuse this we wake up in 7:00 am turn on the car and back in 8 pm just to shower and sleep and if you can to sleep near a train ? all 10 minute you here a the train horn the hotel is one from train . never come back again pepole how want cheap sleep in the car much better.

• Stayed September 2012
California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is located a block away from the bay at Jack London Square in an area that is gentrifying. The neighborhood has a mix of bars and restaurants, new high rise condos and old warehouses. The Oakland train station is a block away, so you can hear the trains whistle early and late in the day. Up Broadway a few blocks is the BART station that can take you to San Francisco and Berkeley. If you don’t mind some party noise from the surrounding bars this hotel maybe a good choice for you. The bed was comfortable and had nice furniture, a coffee pot and free wifi. The bathroom was starting to show wear and could use a new door in the room I was in. They had a nice pool area with plenty of lounge chairs. On -site secured parking was $12.00 a night. There is also good freeway, bridge and ferry access to all the cities around the bay.

Room Tip: All rooms surround the pool area. Your only real choice is 1st or 2nd floor. None of the rooms have...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Jack London Inn? Share your experiences!