“Excuse Me? Wow!!!!!!!! OMG!” 1 of 5 stars

Jack London Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Embarcadero West, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #40 of 47 Hotels in Oakland
Sacramento, California
“Excuse Me? Wow!!!!!!!! OMG!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I don't know where to begin! Should I start with the roaches, extremely nasty carpet, NO TOWELS, no toilet paper, trains rolling by all night, or maybe I should warn you that the garbage in the halls reeked of stale ? and there was a cloud of insects flying inside the garbage and roaches running hiding inside, yes I said hiding. The first thing I noticed was when I drove in the parking garage. There was a car there with both doors open, yet no one inside -hmmm. If there are two of you, make sure one stays up all night and watches your car. My car alarm went off once and when I went to check, there was a hooded man sitting on top of a pick-up truck next to my car. I moved my car! The car alarms go off all night, and I don't think it's because of the trains! The view from my window was a badly tattered rooftop with a diaper thrown on top of the roof!? The only good thing about this hotel was the location and staff, they were very friendly. The location is in a very trendy, touristy part of Oakland, ahem, with lots of drug addicts and prostitutes. How dare they call this place a hotel! There's more people, but seriously, don't ruin your vacation by staying at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

we come in september 2012 for 2 days when we get to the hotel ( motel)
we get a room the toilet dosent work no light in room the ac was with air with smoke smile . and the area was very terible becuse this we wake up in 7:00 am turn on the car and back in 8 pm just to shower and sleep and if you can to sleep near a train ? all 10 minute you here a the train horn the hotel is one from train . never come back again pepole how want cheap sleep in the car much better.

• Stayed September 2012
California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is located a block away from the bay at Jack London Square in an area that is gentrifying. The neighborhood has a mix of bars and restaurants, new high rise condos and old warehouses. The Oakland train station is a block away, so you can hear the trains whistle early and late in the day. Up Broadway a few blocks is the BART station that can take you to San Francisco and Berkeley. If you don’t mind some party noise from the surrounding bars this hotel maybe a good choice for you. The bed was comfortable and had nice furniture, a coffee pot and free wifi. The bathroom was starting to show wear and could use a new door in the room I was in. They had a nice pool area with plenty of lounge chairs. On -site secured parking was $12.00 a night. There is also good freeway, bridge and ferry access to all the cities around the bay.

Room Tip: All rooms surround the pool area. Your only real choice is 1st or 2nd floor. None of the rooms have...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wrexham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Because Sanfrancisco is so busy at the moment we had trouble finding rooms at a price we were willing to pay so unfortunately booked three nights at the Jack London Inn. The Internet site advertised: continental breakfast, hair dryers, swimming pool. The whole area is supposed to be in the process of being modernised so we assumed all would be well. How wrong we were. The corridors were smelly and the room, particularly the carpet, was dirty. I wouldn't walk barefoot! There was no hair dryer, only two small towels, no plug in the sink, TV didn't work and needless to say, no breakfast or pool. The receptionist, who was actually very helpful, said that they'd stopped serving breakfast over a year ago. Also what wasn't mentioned in the website, of course, is that Amtrack trains run on the street day and night! I have given the Inn one mark because I couldn't Tripadvisor wouln't let me award no marks.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Anaheim, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

As soon I entered the room, the floor felt weird and had disgusting sticky stains on it. Walking on the carpet got my feet dirty, I had to wear my shoes around the room. There were old blood stains on my sheets and "questionable" hairs on the bed. The beds had no comforter. TV was not working and there was no attempt to fix it. You have to beg for towels and even then they were not even clean. I swear some of the people here are hookers and a lot of smoking going on in this building, smell of weed is abundant. Rooms smelled like urine! Trains at all hours of the night pass by and loud people at all hours of the night! Do not even think about staying here, WALK AWAY!

Room Tip: No room is a good room, they all smell bad and are all disgusting
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburg, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE! We stayed there on a Friday night, and had the most horrible experience. As soon as we arrived we felt that the area was bad. There were people walking around that looked like drug addicts. The pictures on expedia made this place look nice, but it is far from it. We entered the lobby and checked in. We took the elevator up to the third floor, and as soon as the doors opened, a disgusting stale smell hit us. We went to our room and found that it didn’t look like it was cleaned. There were no towels in the bathroom; the toilet still had feces stains on it. The smoke alarm was missing and looked like someone had ripped it out. The pillows were on the middle of the bed and were missing the pillow cases. The bed sheet had a brown stain on it, and the comforter had holes in it. The headboard wasn’t attached to anything and would hit against the wall when we sat on the bed. The television did not work.

I heard the housekeepers in a nearby room, so I went to talk to one of them. I asked if anyone had cleaned our room and she told me no. She was surprised that we had been given that room since it hadn’t been cleaned. She was very nice and told me that she would go clean it right away. We left the hotel for about two hours to allow her some privacy while she cleaned. When we came back, the room had been cleaned, but it still smelled bad and we didn’t feel like staying at the hotel.

We attempted to get a refund so we could leave this hotel. Expedia was nice enough to call the hotel and attempt to get us a refund, but the woman at the front desk said that she could not authorize the refund. Only the general manager could authorize it and he wouldn’t be back in until Monday. We found this odd considering that weekends are the busiest times for a hotel, and the general manager didn’t work weekends. We decided to stay since we would not be receiving a refund. This was the biggest mistake we could have made.

Later in the evening we went to eat dinner. We were only gone for about one hour. We went back to our room and our room key wouldn’t open the door. I ran down stairs and talked to the woman at the front desk. She fixed the key card and I went back upstairs and went into the room. As soon as we walked in, we saw that all of our belongings were thrown around. Someone had gone into our room and gone through all of our bags. The door did not look forced, so someone must have came in with a key. Everything that was valuable was stolen. We lost hundreds of dollars in property. We did not feel comfortable any longer so we took everything that was left and we went to another hotel. In the morning I called the hotel to tell them that I had not checked out before I left and asked to be checked out. The man on the phone asked for my room number and last name. When I gave him that information, he asked me for my last name again, as though I wasn’t the person that was listed on that room. He then told me that someone had checked me out early the night before. I asked him how that was possible if I had never gone to the desk to check out. He said he didn’t know, but that I had been checked out already.

We have filed a police report and will be attempting to speak with the general manager at the hotel. We hope that he will refund us for the cost of the hotel, and reimburse us for our stolen property. At the moment it seems that someone else was checked in to our room while we were out to dinner. Hopefully the manager takes responsibility and helps us out in this situation. If not, we will be forced to take legal action.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

When we made our reservations with Hotels.com to stay at the Jack London Inn in Oakland, our only request was that there be no blood on the sheets. “Ha ha,” right?

We entered our room just after midnight and were immediately struck by the potent stench of some kind of solvent. As my boyfriend's sinuses bled, I noticed that the pillowcase-free pillow had what appeared to be blood on it. I said, “ugh,” and then moments later, “Ah!” as I noticed I was standing in a mushy carpet covered in a dark, sticky, bodily-fluid-like substance. I calmly announced that he should keep his sandals on. No blood on the sheets, though.

I opened the curtain to see if there was crime scene tape around the building, and standing outside was a mostly toothed man holding a broom. “Everything okay?” he asked.

“We’re not sure.”

So he came around to our front door and said he’d find us another room. Who is this guy?

He began knocking on other doors, opening them, and then, once already inside, announcing he was “security,” which made us feel a lot more unsafe. After checking out four additional rooms, we found one that was acceptable. It had been stripped bare except for the bed, the armoire, the painting that hung over the bed, and the other painting right next to it that was an exact replica of the first painting (the painting was really, really good). The smoke detector hung pitifully from its bracket. We had no towels, so the “security” “guard” went to his room and returned with his own personal towels. Were they a little moist? It didn’t matter. We only wanted a bloodless night of sleep, so we thanked him and, comforted in knowing he might drop in on us at any time for a little “security” visit, locked the door behind him. We were so worn out from all the excitement that we didn’t even notice the loud party out in the hall or the train that ripped through the lobby every thirty minutes setting off all of the car alarms in the underground parking structure.

i would totally recommend this hotel to anyone I hate.

Room Tip: you may feel more comfortable and safe in the urine stained back alley.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Jack London Inn? Share your experiences!