“Train station feeling” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Heidelberg, Germany
“Train station feeling”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is next to the train station and whenever the train passes by, it is incredible loud! And they start passing very early until late night.
Nothing is really working there, Only reason to go there are their promotions.

• Stayed August 2012

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

First of all, at check in I wasn't asked for ID or credit card. Second, when I got to my room it smelled like weed and as if it hadn't been cleaned in months. Third, it didn't even have the basics. There was no toilet paper, no trash can, no towels and no ironing board or iron. The carpet was extremely dirty and had holes in it. Also, there was cigarette burns on the bed linens, carpet and curtains. Windows had no screens, light fixtures didn't work and there was NO WATER PRESSURE. The toilet didn't flush properly and it was impossible to shower. There was more water coming out of the sink faucet than the shower head.

When I asked for toilet paper and towels it took them soooo long to send somebody with the items that after an hour I went to the reception to pick them up myself. I asked about a trash can and iron and they said they would look for one but couldn't promise they could get one. They said there is trash cans in the hallways for us to use.

I'm sure I would have had a better experience at a half way house.

• Stayed August 2012
SLC, UT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place was scary! I don't recommend staying there unless you're a hard core criminal looking for a place to do business. -WOW!
We have some photos but honestly to share them might me too much! Stay Away!!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Anacortes, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

Hubby chose this based on some reviews but not sure which. Late arrival on Amtrak doesnt leave a lot of options. The hotel lobby was decent. Ugly upholstery but not worn out. Granite countertops at the registration desk and a very friendly, courteous and professional young man (thanks Manny!) working there. Larger than average well working elevators but as another couple joined us...this is where it went downhill. She stated they had already exchanged rooms because there was a mouse in their other room. One door along the hallway had the knob missing and paper towels stuffed into the holes. Worn carpet, chipping peeling paint. The room carpet was very worn, there was a place for an iron but no iron, the furniture was very, ahem, lightweight. I was going to swallow my pride and stay so i wanted to use the bathroom and go to bed. It was really hot so i turned on the air which began cooling the room surprisingly quickly, on my way to the bathroom, to my surprise there was a place for toilet paper but no toilet paper, then no soap/ shampoo and towels or wash clothes. An empty hole staring out where kleenex or at least a decorative cover for them should have been. The sheets looked clean, no sign of "bed bugs" as suggested in a previous review, there was no scatter of cockroaches when we entered the room and turned on the lights AND we saw no real signs of rodent activity. But we were uncomfortable so we called a cab and left. Credit is due for Manny, even when we stated we were leaving he maintained his professionalism and was very nice ensuring no charges to our card.

• Stayed May 2012
Imperial Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I've always trusted hotels.com to provide honest and accurate information. Shame on them for even listing the Jack London Inn! All the negative reviews on this site are true: filth, cockroaches, no towels, shampoo, or soap, locked windows, bed bugs, torn walls, noise from train, non working air...the list goes on. Unfortunately, we were there on graduation weekend for UC Berkeley and could not find a reasonably-priced hotel closer to campus (did I mention we paid $84 for the nightmarish experience?). How can I get my money back?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Twinsburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This place is nasty!!! Walked into the room....l didn't even last 2 min. Left running! After booking a room at another hotel in the area, I found out it was the second dirtiest hotels in the country. On the positive side, they didn't try to charge me. Nobody could be that desperat, my advice......if you can't find anywhere else to stay.....sleeping in your car is best!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

this hotel, with a promotion and a military discount, was literally 90 dollars total for three nights for a room with 2 queens, a flatscreen tv, and fast free wifi. We had 5 people staying here, so broken down that equals six dollars a night each. six dollars! for the bay area! we read all of the scary reviews of others and brought blankets and towels and ended up not even needing them. our toilet didnt work consistently but every time we called the desk someone was up and fixed it (and cracked jokes, and were friendly and sweet) within 5 minutes. as for the "crack heads/drug dealers/prostitutes" nobody bothered us, in fact everyone we ran in to in the lobby and elevator was extremely nice and eager to give us advice of what to do while in oakland, or left us alone. our room was exactly the same quality as what you would get at any other budget hotel. the jack london is close to the bart, the chicken/waffles restaurant below it was great, and it cost almost nothing to stay here. we enjoyed the jack london inn and the city of oakland!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Jack London Inn? Share your experiences!