“What a joke!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Alpine, California
“What a joke!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Room had no soaps, trash can, dingy towels and carpet that had seen better years! Breakfast was loast, cereal and coffee! If all you want is a bed and shower then this is the place for you! Don't be surprised if you have to wait 1 hour and 45 min for your reserved room, especially if you arrive at 11:30 pm. Don't forget that the railroad track go right by the street in front.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Orting, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I won't spend the time to write up a detailed review, but I will suggest that you read all of the other 1 star reviews and consider them true. A couple of things that I didn't see in the other reviews I saw was: 1) No windows in the "suites" open (pray for no fires!); 2) Most of the outlet were sticking out of the walls; 3) Only 2 of the lights in the room had bulbs. And yes, I wanted to spray myself with Lysol after we checked out about 5 mins after checking in. Just don't do it. It's sad that a motel that was a pretty good deal years ago is so bad now.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else....run....Service was only 2 stars, and it would be 1 but he gave me a refund. Th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I needed to book a hotel for my family coming from Denver for the holidays. Since money is a concern, I decided to go with Jack London Inn (despite some bad reviews). My family was very pleased: the price, clean rooms, friendly staff, and the location is excellent. It is 1/2 block from Jack London Square, right on the Bay. One day we walked over to the ferry which took us to Pier 39. The receptionist told us that there is new management, and most rooms have been renovated. Great place for the value! Carol

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

It was my first visit to Oakland and I was looking forward to it the website for this hotel looked really nice, pool, bar, and nice looking rooms. How wrong I was, I stayed with my boyfriend who'd stayed before and recommended we stayed again. To start with we couldnt check in until 3pm on the dot then they kept us waiting another 15 minuutes. Then as for the room, (well the first one) it was dark and gloomy and the bathroom hadnt been cleaned, the carpets were dirty and I later found bugsand insects in and on the bed!! The pool ws unclean and so was the balcony where I was looking forward to sunbathing. We changed rooms and the one we were put in as we couldnt check out as it was after 11pm and couldnt find another hotel with rooms, was dirty unclean and all the carpets were stained, there was no bugs but we certainly didnt stay for a already paid breakfast the next day and we left as soon as the sun came up. We will never stay again and my boyfriend is so disappointed as apparently it used to be such a lovely hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Dont use this hotel!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

For those people who don't like anyone trying to get by or have kids, I don't recommend it. But for me it was a good experiance, especially if you're a teenager like me. Ok, so I can see some hookers and drug dealers as a problem, but if you're fun you'll understand! Me and my friends definantly had some fun here, and looking to book a stay this year!

Room Tip: bring your own towels though, definantly!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Torrance, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

OK it started out that my father in law who lives near the nature preserve in oakland suggested this hotel (although he thought he was reccomending another one in Jack London Square) When we arrived after a 1 1/2 hr flight, he drove us to the hotel. We should've turned an ran at the outside view, however the website touted it as "remodeled" with an attractive room picture in the "virtual tour for double bed rooms" . When we arrived a Amtrak was passing in front of the hotel blaring it's horn (warning 1), and when we pulled in to park, it was full of run down vehicles and shady characters (warning 2) We figured...hey lets check the place out and went into the smoke/marijuanna smoke filled lobby where some seedy characters were standing and I asked the attendant if my "non smoking room" was like it's photo as I would spend most time with my children sightseeing anyways...."Of course" was her reply. To our horror we walked off the elevator to see a prostotute leaving a room and a trash strewn hallway. We walked into the room long enough to look and walk out...ripped/stained sheets....broken furniture....mold on walls...a filthy pool not fit for anything...no phone... no toilet paper...not even a single towel in the room....we walked out, demanded a refund and I went and spent more to stay at the Marriot @ Oakland Center ~ farther from the ocean but well worth it! Do not stay at this hotel unless you want a ruined trip ~ mine almost was!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dirty...nasty...gross!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Do not consider staying in this hotel if you think a clean room and bed are a desirable feature of overnight accommodation. I was unlucky enough to find myself booked in to this hotel last year. The curtains were dirty, the chairs were dirty, the furniture was falling apart and the hotel doesn't seem to have heard of a laundry service for their bedding.

When I finally identified the strange smell of the room as originating from urine on the carpet (I'm a nurse, I know what urine smells like) and went down to inform reception, the receptionist was unable to relocate us to another room and unwilling to give us a refund so that we could find somewhere else to stay. Quite honestly I'm not sure that the room would have passed an environmental health inspection and I would not advise staying here under any circumstances.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Jack London Inn? Share your experiences!