“Good accommodations for the price...” 3 of 5 stars

Jack London Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Embarcadero West, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #40 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Oakland, California
“Good accommodations for the price...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I needed to book a hotel for my family coming from Denver for the holidays. Since money is a concern, I decided to go with Jack London Inn (despite some bad reviews). My family was very pleased: the price, clean rooms, friendly staff, and the location is excellent. It is 1/2 block from Jack London Square, right on the Bay. One day we walked over to the ferry which took us to Pier 39. The receptionist told us that there is new management, and most rooms have been renovated. Great place for the value! Carol

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

It was my first visit to Oakland and I was looking forward to it the website for this hotel looked really nice, pool, bar, and nice looking rooms. How wrong I was, I stayed with my boyfriend who'd stayed before and recommended we stayed again. To start with we couldnt check in until 3pm on the dot then they kept us waiting another 15 minuutes. Then as for the room, (well the first one) it was dark and gloomy and the bathroom hadnt been cleaned, the carpets were dirty and I later found bugsand insects in and on the bed!! The pool ws unclean and so was the balcony where I was looking forward to sunbathing. We changed rooms and the one we were put in as we couldnt check out as it was after 11pm and couldnt find another hotel with rooms, was dirty unclean and all the carpets were stained, there was no bugs but we certainly didnt stay for a already paid breakfast the next day and we left as soon as the sun came up. We will never stay again and my boyfriend is so disappointed as apparently it used to be such a lovely hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Dont use this hotel!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

For those people who don't like anyone trying to get by or have kids, I don't recommend it. But for me it was a good experiance, especially if you're a teenager like me. Ok, so I can see some hookers and drug dealers as a problem, but if you're fun you'll understand! Me and my friends definantly had some fun here, and looking to book a stay this year!

Room Tip: bring your own towels though, definantly!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Torrance, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

OK it started out that my father in law who lives near the nature preserve in oakland suggested this hotel (although he thought he was reccomending another one in Jack London Square) When we arrived after a 1 1/2 hr flight, he drove us to the hotel. We should've turned an ran at the outside view, however the website touted it as "remodeled" with an attractive room picture in the "virtual tour for double bed rooms" . When we arrived a Amtrak was passing in front of the hotel blaring it's horn (warning 1), and when we pulled in to park, it was full of run down vehicles and shady characters (warning 2) We figured...hey lets check the place out and went into the smoke/marijuanna smoke filled lobby where some seedy characters were standing and I asked the attendant if my "non smoking room" was like it's photo as I would spend most time with my children sightseeing anyways...."Of course" was her reply. To our horror we walked off the elevator to see a prostotute leaving a room and a trash strewn hallway. We walked into the room long enough to look and walk out...ripped/stained sheets....broken furniture....mold on walls...a filthy pool not fit for anything...no phone... no toilet paper...not even a single towel in the room....we walked out, demanded a refund and I went and spent more to stay at the Marriot @ Oakland Center ~ farther from the ocean but well worth it! Do not stay at this hotel unless you want a ruined trip ~ mine almost was!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dirty...nasty...gross!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Do not consider staying in this hotel if you think a clean room and bed are a desirable feature of overnight accommodation. I was unlucky enough to find myself booked in to this hotel last year. The curtains were dirty, the chairs were dirty, the furniture was falling apart and the hotel doesn't seem to have heard of a laundry service for their bedding.

When I finally identified the strange smell of the room as originating from urine on the carpet (I'm a nurse, I know what urine smells like) and went down to inform reception, the receptionist was unable to relocate us to another room and unwilling to give us a refund so that we could find somewhere else to stay. Quite honestly I'm not sure that the room would have passed an environmental health inspection and I would not advise staying here under any circumstances.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here in September last year it was an absolutely horrible experience there were no towels or bum wade the toilet was broken there were three used condoms under the bed so I slept on the floor the mattress had a dried urine stain the bed was so torn up it had springs visible 1 inch of dirt rust in the microwave cockroaches in the bathtub bed bugs the air conditioner didnt work the lights didn't work vomit on the top of the toilet diarrhea on the floor and wall holes in the wall, wallpaper tearing apart tv didn't work no wifi you could see the next room within the holes no house keeping the phone didn't work and I was so scared sleeping in the room it was a horrible experience also I found 16 used tampons on the balcony

• Stayed September 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Front desk was friendly at check in. The hotel is older but seemed like newer furnishings in the room (staff said they just recent replaced). Cant' go wrong for the price.

Room Tip: get a room on the back of the hotel, it is quiter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Jack London Inn? Share your experiences!