“Good for overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 47 hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, CA
“Good for overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is close to the Oakland Airport. Unless you have a GPS it may be difficult to find it especially in the night since it lies at the intersection of several freeways. There was a strange odor as we approached the hotel but inside everything was fine. Our bed was comfortable.

We got a room apparently intended for the physically challenged. The shower head was an adjustable handheld one but if was difficult to turn it on or to hang it back! We took our showers holding the head in one hand.

Although the hotel advertises free hot breakfast, much of the fare is heated packaged stuff. Nevertheless if you have to catch an early morning flight etc., the convenience of this hotel cannot be beat since they also provide free shuttle service.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms for the disabled if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad that you found our hotel conveniently located, the shuttle timely and the bed comfortable. We take our guest’s comments seriously, so I will investigate the functionality of the showers in the accessible rooms. Thank you for choosing our hotel. I hope that we were able to make your journey more enjoyable, that is our goal.

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had an early morning flight to Hawaii after several days of staying in Berkeley on our SF visit, so we decided to stay near the airport and got this hotel through hotwire. We spent most of the day in Berkeley and had dinner there and only slept at the hotel, but we were pleased with the service and accommodations.
We took the Bart train from Berkeley and were able to call the hotel and have the shuttle driver come and pick us up at the Bart station. (The hotel shuttle buses stop in a small pull-over area a little walk to the right of where the Bart airport shuttle bus pulls in).
We did not have to wait long and then had the bus to the hotel. The check-in clerks seemed to be very busy on the phone receiving calls from other people who had either arrived at the airport and needed the bus or others at the bart station waiting for the shuttle, and I was impressed with how they were keeping on top of all of the calls.
The hotel was clean, if dated in the room decor, but had everything we needed. Was able to get the shuttle bus again to the airport the next morning so a nice short trip to be there for 7:30 a.m. and didn't have to get up as early as we would if we had not stayed near the airport.
What I did NOT like, and I have noticed this at other HOliday Inn Express outlets, was the cheap, tacky disposable plates and utensils they put out for their free breakfast area in the morning. I realize this is not a full-service restaurant but just a breakfast-serving area that is used only in the morning, but WHY can the hotel not manage to use real plates and utensils? Would it be that difficult to install a dishwasher?? When I am forced to eat on styrofoam plates and plastic forks I feel that I'm at a fast-food place like McDonald's and I find it a depressing way to start the day. It's also a huge waste at a time when we should be thinking of the environment...think of all the garbage that must pile up in a year from the styrofoam plates being thrown away from just this one hotel...I guess we're supposed to appreciate the free breakfast, but I would rather do without than eat off of paper plates. I find this appalling and a sour note at a hotel that was otherwise fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Steve,

We really appreciate your compliments about our staff, hotel cleanliness and service. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our shuttle made your travels easier.

Regarding our choice of dish ware, I am happy to report that we use 100% biodegradable breakfast ware. It may look like Styrofoam but Styrofoam is actually illegal in the area. Thank you for taking the time to share your sentiments with us, it is important to us to know what our guests think.

We hope that you choose our hotel on your next trip to the Bay Area.

Oakland CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

After flying 12 hours to get to Oakland I was worn out. I called the hotel from the airport and was met with a warm hello. Jorje had the shuttle there in minutes. The shuttle driver, Berket was awesome. When I checked in the process was smooth and quick and Jorge was extremely plesant. I had a small issue with the TV remote. Jorge had it correced in 2 minutes. This is the BEST experience I have ever had at a hotel and I travel 40 weeks a year.

Congrats to the management for having this level of service instilled in their associates.
I cant wait to stay here again.

Dear David,

Your kind remarks about our friendly, helpful staff were great to hear. We are very proud of the excellent service they extend to our guests. Thank you for noticing their efforts, I will share your comments with the team.

Your business is important to us, we look forward to your next stay with us.

Valencia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Place nice and clean. The staff is incredible nothing but professional. Hitika at the front desk always with a smile and willing and able for anything to help a traveler out. I recommend a stay here anytime. Give Hitika a high five when you meet her she will jump to give you one back!!!!!

Dear Guest,

Your praise for our staff is so nice to hear. Our team works very hard at maintaining high standards of cleanliness and responsiveness. I will share your compliments with them, they really enjoy hearing from our guests.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your visit to the Bay Area, we look forward to your next stay with us.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The service and staff at this hotel are fantastic! Hitika at check-in could not be more accommodating, she should teach a class about customer service! Whenever my business brings me back to NorCal, I am staying here! The location was easy to get to/from places, a very pleasant stay.

Dear Lou,

Thank you for your glowing review of our hotel and our outstanding team. Your suggestion that Hitika teach a class on customer service is perfect, she is a role model for all of us!

We are happy that you enjoyed our property and that you will be staying with us again. I hope it is soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Good Area, Clean and friendly staff. Staff was quick and efficent in responding to room service calls. Provided complimentary necessities such as toothbrush and tooth paste. Also gave tips on surrounding areas and where I could purchase last minute things I needed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your favorable review of our responsive service and cleanliness and was so nice to hear. I am glad that our staff was able to help you with those last minute travel needs and information about our neighborhood. I hope you enjoyed your visit to the Bay Area and will chose the Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport for your next trip.

Suwanee, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel this week of Feb 25 and was amazed by the front desk staff's (Ms. Y and others) friendliness and readiness to help with miscellaneous needs. The shuttle driver, Mr. P, was great. I will certainly come back at this hotel on my next trip to Oakland.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Winnie,

How nice to hear all those compliments about our staff, especially Ms. Y and Mr. P. We think we have a great team that takes really good care of our guests. I will convey your appreciation to them, they will enjoy receiving the kudos.

Thank you for staying with us, we hope you come back again soon.

Dhruv Patel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!