“Very nice and helpful front desk staff” 5 of 5 stars

Save up to 25%
Ranked #2 of 48 hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Suwanee, Georgia, United States
“Very nice and helpful front desk staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel this week of Feb 25 and was amazed by the front desk staff's (Ms. Y and others) friendliness and readiness to help with miscellaneous needs. The shuttle driver, Mr. P, was great. I will certainly come back at this hotel on my next trip to Oakland.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Winnie,

How nice to hear all those compliments about our staff, especially Ms. Y and Mr. P. We think we have a great team that takes really good care of our guests. I will convey your appreciation to them, they will enjoy receiving the kudos.

Thank you for staying with us, we hope you come back again soon.

225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Rancho Cordova, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Wwe have stayed at this Holiday inn express before, so we liked it. It is in a great location. The rooms are nice sized, and very clean. The front desk staff is friendly. They also give you a list of nearby restaurants and shops. I find that very helpful. They do have the holiday inn express breakfast, which is always nice. Our only issue with the hotel is the housekeeping staff. We have a late checkout. they should know this, yet at 8:13 in the morning the head of housekeeping is knocking on the door. Really 8:13. yes we were up, but some guest might not be. What happens if you have a baby. Plus we have a late check out, can't you read the paper work that states that. To be fair, the rooms are very clean, and everything is in it's proper order.
All in all this hotel is great, we will be back because the good does out weigh the poor housekkeeping.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad that you enjoyed our clean, spacious rooms, helpful front desk staff and complimentary breakfast. I regret that our housekeeping department disturbed you. I can assure you that I will share your comments with our staff so that they avoid similar situations in the future.

We appreciate your business very much. I hope that you choose to visit us again. Please contact me personally, so that I can ensure that you have a comfortable stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We rent conference space here every month and alot of our students stay at this hotel . It's a good solid hotel .

The only downside is no real food options within walking area , although I have heard m students say that the shuttle has been willing to drop them off from time to time

• Stayed February 2013
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your business very much.

There are many dining options in the area and a few within walking distance, please feel free to call me so I can offer some suggestions that you might enjoy.

Kailua, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Quiet, clean, helpful staff with an airport shuttle and easy access to major freeways, the Holiday Inn Express is your no hassle entry to the East Bay. The free breakfast was standard fare, but very fresh.

Room Tip: The more quiet rooms are "by the wall" on the even numbered side of the hallway, ie. #380...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Our hotel’s location, cleanliness and our shuttle service are intended to minimize travel stress. I am glad we were able to make your trip more enjoyable. I will share your comment about our “helpful staff”, they will be pleased to hear it.

Thank you for staying with us, visit us again soon.

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We could not have picked a better location to stay for our 2013 New Years trip. This is a great place to stay if you are looking for an affordable and well taken care of hotel that’s not too far to be able to make a day trip to San Francisco.

Our four night stay here was greatly enhanced by the friendly staff who didn’t mind giving us a ride on the hotel shuttle to the nearest BART station, and the amazing variety of choices provided by the daily complimentary breakfast. Our clean, comfortable, spacious one bed hotel room, complete with a small living room, kitchen sink, fridge, microwave, and cozy bed made us feel at home after coming home from a long day of sightseeing around the bay.

We were so impressed with the positive impact that the hotel had on our trip, and not to mention our budget, that when we decided to stay one more night, it was a decision that was easy to make. We look forward to staying here at the next opportunity we can.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Milo,

We really appreciate your comprensive and complimentary review of our hotel. I am glad that our shuttle service to the BART station made your sightseeing adventures more pleasant. Your description of the size and comfort of the rooms as well as the variety of our breakfast food offerings was so well said.

We hope that you come back to the Bay Area soon. There is so much to see and do here and we would be happy to give you more suggestions for your explorations.

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Was staying there for about 5-6 days in total due to deciding my next travel destination. Front desk person in charge were so friendly to me and the cleaners too.
General manager, whom i dont know her name, but she was Hispanic, made my entire travel plan to be stuck. Long story short, had a flight to Dubai yest, at 3.45pm. So, i had 3 big luggages with me and did a two round trip to the BART station by the shuttle service provided by them. The driver was nice and helpful and Christy, at the front desk was helpful too. During the second round for the shuttle to drop my bag at the BART station, the so called General Manager came to drop my bag and i thought that im good to go. She said, You need to come with me to the hotel to clear your payment off. So, i was like ????????? The matter of fact is that the credit card payment didnt accept for one night charge. I dodmt have much cash with me because i paid for my baggage storage at the airport. And, i tried calling my family and friends back at home and the worst is, its about 2am in the morning for them. Couldnt get hold of anyone. So, she SNAPPED my passport and told me, i trust you and letting you to go in a way you dont wish to hear. When i asked her why she took my passport copu, she said in order fot her to complain to my freaking embassy for not paying $120 when i had made a fee of $500++. And she did a very cheap move by taking up all the money i had with me in my wallet for about $32. How cheap is that ??
If at all, anyone at the front desk did this, it is still acceptable because they are not so ecperienced but for a hotel GENERAL MANAGER to do this, i feel like she has a very low standard and not professional at all. In short, SHE made me to miss my damn flight to Dubai by costing me a penalty fee of $520 to my airlines. She should be happy right now. I am well travelled and syayed in numerous hotel but never once come across this kind of situation. Will never advice anyone to stay there. GENERAL MANAGER should be changed to keep up the hotel quality or else customers will leave negative feedback. I have also noticed that she was being very bossy towarde her staffs and the way she potraits herself. I have stayed in Hard Rock, Sheraton Sukhumvit, Hyatt and i even talked to their General Managers, they were so down to earth and polite. But by being in a not so top class hotel, and giving a customer this kind of feedback, it is totally ridiculous and cant be accepted.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Nish080,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Oakland.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Roseville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were flying out of Oakland on a early morning flight for a week at Christmas. This airport was a no-brainer.

Your car is parked in their parking lot (within feet of the door). They have their own exclusive shuttle (as the airport is ~5 minutes by car, the shuttle is never more than 10 minutes away).

The hotel is either brand new or newly renovated because it was that level of clean you can only get from a new building. It was also very quiet in the room (which is impressive being this close to the airport).

We were leaving before their continental breakfast was starting, but they were able to pull as many muffins as we wanted from the back room to take with us.

Overall, I was very happy with this hotel. Here is the only exceptional exception to this:

Not long after we checked into the room we found a 9mm gun magazine between the bedside table and the wall (in a place smaller than a vacuum could fit). I took it down to the front desk to make sure that it was returned to the original owner (I assumed an air marshal as this hotel was insanely close to the airport.). Received a call from the general manager a few days later apologizing for the experience. I don't fault the hotel for the experience. Nobody is perfect, but they seem to be certainly doing everything to the best of their abilities.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your favorable review of our hotel regarding the convenient location and shuttle service, cleanliness, exceptional quality of the facility and the attentiveness of our staff was great to hear. I am glad that your early morning departure worked out so well.

I apologize for the unpleasant lost and found item that you reported to our staff. I can assure you that we will use this as a valuable learning experience for our staff.

Please let me know when you will be visiting us again, so that I can personally ensure that you have another positive experience at our hotel. Thank you for your business.

Dhruv Patel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Oakland? Share your experiences!