“This Will Be My Go-To Hotel When In Oakland For Jazz"” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fresno, California
“This Will Be My Go-To Hotel When In Oakland For Jazz"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had two overnight stays at Holiday Inn Express-Oakland Airport the first two Fridays in November to attend jazz shows at Yoshi's Jazz Club on Jack London Square (Earl Klugh and David Sanborn), and didn't want to stay at one of the overpriced hotels near or around the Square. I choose this Holiday Inn Express because of its convenience to the 880 Freeway, its price (which includes free breakfast) and proximity to Yoshi's (about a 10 min drive). The first night, I was placed in a room on the second floor facing the parking lot and the airport, which I actually liked because I could look out the window and see my car. The windows are tempered very well because the room was very quiet-- I didn't hear one airplane. I'm a "Priority Rewards" member and upon check-in I received a "goodie bag" which contained two, 16 oz bottles of water, a chewy granola bar and a letter from the general manager welcoming me to the hotel along with the phone extension and e-mail address where they can be reached if need be. This was totally unexpected and much appreciated (especially the bottled water!). The room itself has a wet bar with a microwave oven and a mini-frig which was another nice touch, as the second night I stayed after that next morning's breakfast along with my coffee I brought back to the room a danish and butter, which I was able to warm up (nothing like a fattening danish smothered in melted butter and a cup of coffee in the morning!). Breakfast is included in the price of the room and was what you'd expect. The breakfast bar provided enough food and enough choice to satisfy even the pickiest eaters. I will now tell you this-- along with decaf, there was a choice of two regular coffees: french roast and a gourmet blend. The gourmet blend was good, but the french roast was excellent, in my opinion. Both coffees were definitely a premium blend. The only issue I had with the room, which I failed to bring to the attention of the management, is that the one I was placed in during my second overnight stay on the first floor (#156), has a mini-frig that buzzed all night long. I didn't notice this sound when I checked in earlier in the evening, but after getting back from Yoshi's at 12:30 a.m. and ready for sleep, I was hyper aware of any sound. Normally, I would have gone to the front desk and had the clerk put me in another room but I use a humidifier when I go to sleep which makes i's own noise thus drowning out the buzzing sound, so I was okay with the situation. All-in-all, both overnight stays were very pleasant. Everyone I encountered from the front desk to the housekeeping staff was friendly. I plan on occasion making weekend jaunts to Oakland to get a jazz fix at Yoshi's and will definitely be booking my overnight stays at Holiday Inn Express-Oakland.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Keepinitrealincali,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of the Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport. Our proximity to Yoshi’s and some of the other great venues in the Bay Area is popular with many of our guests. I am glad our location was so convenient for you also. Many guests are also as pleased as you were with the quietness of our hotel, despite our proximity to the airport.

Our goal is to provide a great place to stay with a good breakfast and clean rooms. We like to recognize our Priority Club members with a “goodie bag” and other amenities. We appreciate your loyalty and hope to see you soon.

Dhruv Patel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Oakland, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express is right next to the Oakland airport. I frequently stay there because I travel from Oakland a number of times a year. Their shuttle service is great, it arrives promptly after I call them to pick me up at the gate. The drive is always friendly and drives safely.

The hotel itself is very clean and has a professional atmosphere. I have never had an issue getting the room I like on the top floor and it is not a noisy neighborhood.

I love this hotel and recommend it to anyone that travels a lot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your kind remarks about the promptness, safety and courtesy of
our shuttle drivers. We know that a responsive shuttle service is important
to our guests and we work hard to accommodate their busy schedules.

Your comments about the cleanliness of the hotel and the professionalism of
our staff are also appreciated. I will pass them on to our employees, who
always like to hear from our guests.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your visit to the Bay Area. Come
back soon.

East Greenwich, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Let me start by saying that the reason most people stay at an hotel right near the airport, it is because they want fast shuttle service to take them to or from the airport quickly. This is what I expected when I recently arrived to Oakland after a long flight across the country. I arrived and after collecting my bags called the hotel to request a pickup. I was told the driver was just finishing a run, and would be by shortly. Over 30 minutes later (THAT's RIGHT) and two phone calls, the driver finally showed. I don't want to blame him personally, but this hotel should do a better job of having more shuttles available to pick guests up at the airport.
Upon arrival I was quickly checked in, but I was not greeted as a Priority Club member, let alone a Platinum Elite member, which was disappointing.
The rooms are typical Holiday Inn Express, and in fact, a little on the more sparse side. There was nothing wrong with the room, but nothing too exciting either. Everything was clean, the WIFI was fast (which is a welcome change), and the shower was hot. In the morning the free breakfast was very typical HI express fare, but it was fine for a quick stay. The staff in the morning was friendly and efficient.
Overall, this was not a bad stay, but I was so angry by the time i arrived at the hotel due to the shuttle service, I don't think I ever gave it a fair shake, and as such, I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Rusttribe,

I am glad that you found the the Wifi fast, the room fine and the breakfast satisfactory. Your comments about your stay will definitely help us improve.

I am so sorry that there was a delay in your airport pick up, we shuttle to the rental car return, Bart station and restaurants so sometimes our turn around can be around 30 minutes but it is something we are actively working on. I regret that you were not greeted properly as a Priority Club Platinum Elite member, that is a staple of our brand and certainly not representative of the level of recognition we intend to provide our loyal guests. Your comments are much appreciated and will certainly be used to improve our level of service.

Marana, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel clerk, Mary, was very helpful this morning during the first full day of my stay. She always has a smile on her face, which is comforing for us weary road warriors.

Even though this property is right near the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) construction into the airport, everyone at this hotel remains helpful and friendly. I had a similar experience when I stayed here a month ago.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the BART train construction, which is on the northwest side of the hote...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Doug,

Your observations about our friendly staff and smiling faces, especially Mary’s are so nice to hear. We are proud of the great people that work at our hotel, I am glad that their respect for the guests comes across.

Our guests’ experience with the BART construction has generally been a good one, thank you for commenting on that.

Let me know if I can be of assistance when you visit us on your next trip to the Bay Area.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during a visit to San Francisco, excellent service and very clean and large bedrooms. Nice bar also. Just min. away from the bay bridge. The room was big and the bathroom clean and modern. This was a recomendation from someone who visit S.F. very often and was a great one. Will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Sara,

Thank you for the nice things you said about the large rooms, the good service and the cleanliness of our hotel. I will pass on your compliments to our staff. They like to make the guests happy, so your remarks are much appreciated.

I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to San Francisco. Please stop by and say hello. We can compare notes about your favorite things to do in the City.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here during the playoffs, we're Tiger's fans, so we came for both business and squeezed the game in. Sadly, the Tigs lost. But the Holiday Inn was a winner. We often choose the express version of this brand as you just know what you're getting. They are usually well maintained and consistent. When you're just looking for a regular spot to lay your head, that's high praise. The front desk staff were some of the cooler I've experienced. The guy working night shift even comp'd us something that I'd forgotten to bring, and I thought that was really nice. The shuttle driver was great, very friendly and helpful in driving me to the bart station. Bart is great, got me into SF easily as hubby had the rental for business meetings. The rooms were fine, it's super close to the airport and the sports facility. The only thing problematic was that there was not a place to eat in the hotel, so we might choose the Holiday Inns and Suites next time, we went there the second nite to have pub food and beers and watch the game...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Redhedgurl5,

I am so glad you found our location convenient for attending the playoff games and your sightseeing activities. And your comments about the courtesy of our staff is very nice to hear. I will pass on your remarks, they enjoy working with our guests and will appreciate the feedback.

For your next visit to our area, please contact me personally so that I can help you with some restaurant selections. There are some good places nearby that are within our shuttle service range. I think you will enjoy them.

Thanks for choosing our hotel.

California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here so we could catch an early a.m. flight using the stay and park option. The shuttle seemed to have disappeared and there were about 20 people waiting for it. It holds 7 people. We ended up driving to the airport anyway. Sleep quality and shower were terrible. AC louder than a rock concert. We got two rooms and they were on oppposite ends of the hall. Very inconvenient. Definitely would have done better to get up early and park at the airport. Parking is extremely convenient at this airport, so save your sanity and some money and drive to the airport, not to this motel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Karen,

I sincerely regret that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We set very high goals for guest satisfaction and we take our guest comments very seriously. We are always trying to improve so I hope that you will call me directly at 510 569-4400, so that I may speak with your directly about your experiences. Thank you for taking the time to follow up.

Regards,
Vicky Chong

Been to Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!