“Great Hotel, Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakland, California, United States
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express is right next to the Oakland airport. I frequently stay there because I travel from Oakland a number of times a year. Their shuttle service is great, it arrives promptly after I call them to pick me up at the gate. The drive is always friendly and drives safely.

The hotel itself is very clean and has a professional atmosphere. I have never had an issue getting the room I like on the top floor and it is not a noisy neighborhood.

I love this hotel and recommend it to anyone that travels a lot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your kind remarks about the promptness, safety and courtesy of
our shuttle drivers. We know that a responsive shuttle service is important
to our guests and we work hard to accommodate their busy schedules.

Your comments about the cleanliness of the hotel and the professionalism of
our staff are also appreciated. I will pass them on to our employees, who
always like to hear from our guests.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your visit to the Bay Area. Come
back soon.

Dhruv Patel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Let me start by saying that the reason most people stay at an hotel right near the airport, it is because they want fast shuttle service to take them to or from the airport quickly. This is what I expected when I recently arrived to Oakland after a long flight across the country. I arrived and after collecting my bags called the hotel to request a pickup. I was told the driver was just finishing a run, and would be by shortly. Over 30 minutes later (THAT's RIGHT) and two phone calls, the driver finally showed. I don't want to blame him personally, but this hotel should do a better job of having more shuttles available to pick guests up at the airport.
Upon arrival I was quickly checked in, but I was not greeted as a Priority Club member, let alone a Platinum Elite member, which was disappointing.
The rooms are typical Holiday Inn Express, and in fact, a little on the more sparse side. There was nothing wrong with the room, but nothing too exciting either. Everything was clean, the WIFI was fast (which is a welcome change), and the shower was hot. In the morning the free breakfast was very typical HI express fare, but it was fine for a quick stay. The staff in the morning was friendly and efficient.
Overall, this was not a bad stay, but I was so angry by the time i arrived at the hotel due to the shuttle service, I don't think I ever gave it a fair shake, and as such, I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Rusttribe,

I am glad that you found the the Wifi fast, the room fine and the breakfast satisfactory. Your comments about your stay will definitely help us improve.

I am so sorry that there was a delay in your airport pick up, we shuttle to the rental car return, Bart station and restaurants so sometimes our turn around can be around 30 minutes but it is something we are actively working on. I regret that you were not greeted properly as a Priority Club Platinum Elite member, that is a staple of our brand and certainly not representative of the level of recognition we intend to provide our loyal guests. Your comments are much appreciated and will certainly be used to improve our level of service.

Marana, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel clerk, Mary, was very helpful this morning during the first full day of my stay. She always has a smile on her face, which is comforing for us weary road warriors.

Even though this property is right near the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) construction into the airport, everyone at this hotel remains helpful and friendly. I had a similar experience when I stayed here a month ago.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the BART train construction, which is on the northwest side of the hote...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Doug,

Your observations about our friendly staff and smiling faces, especially Mary’s are so nice to hear. We are proud of the great people that work at our hotel, I am glad that their respect for the guests comes across.

Our guests’ experience with the BART construction has generally been a good one, thank you for commenting on that.

Let me know if I can be of assistance when you visit us on your next trip to the Bay Area.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during a visit to San Francisco, excellent service and very clean and large bedrooms. Nice bar also. Just min. away from the bay bridge. The room was big and the bathroom clean and modern. This was a recomendation from someone who visit S.F. very often and was a great one. Will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Sara,

Thank you for the nice things you said about the large rooms, the good service and the cleanliness of our hotel. I will pass on your compliments to our staff. They like to make the guests happy, so your remarks are much appreciated.

I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to San Francisco. Please stop by and say hello. We can compare notes about your favorite things to do in the City.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here during the playoffs, we're Tiger's fans, so we came for both business and squeezed the game in. Sadly, the Tigs lost. But the Holiday Inn was a winner. We often choose the express version of this brand as you just know what you're getting. They are usually well maintained and consistent. When you're just looking for a regular spot to lay your head, that's high praise. The front desk staff were some of the cooler I've experienced. The guy working night shift even comp'd us something that I'd forgotten to bring, and I thought that was really nice. The shuttle driver was great, very friendly and helpful in driving me to the bart station. Bart is great, got me into SF easily as hubby had the rental for business meetings. The rooms were fine, it's super close to the airport and the sports facility. The only thing problematic was that there was not a place to eat in the hotel, so we might choose the Holiday Inns and Suites next time, we went there the second nite to have pub food and beers and watch the game...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Redhedgurl5,

I am so glad you found our location convenient for attending the playoff games and your sightseeing activities. And your comments about the courtesy of our staff is very nice to hear. I will pass on your remarks, they enjoy working with our guests and will appreciate the feedback.

For your next visit to our area, please contact me personally so that I can help you with some restaurant selections. There are some good places nearby that are within our shuttle service range. I think you will enjoy them.

Thanks for choosing our hotel.

Clarksburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here so we could catch an early a.m. flight using the stay and park option. The shuttle seemed to have disappeared and there were about 20 people waiting for it. It holds 7 people. We ended up driving to the airport anyway. Sleep quality and shower were terrible. AC louder than a rock concert. We got two rooms and they were on oppposite ends of the hall. Very inconvenient. Definitely would have done better to get up early and park at the airport. Parking is extremely convenient at this airport, so save your sanity and some money and drive to the airport, not to this motel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Karen,

I sincerely regret that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We set very high goals for guest satisfaction and we take our guest comments very seriously. We are always trying to improve so I hope that you will call me directly at 510 569-4400, so that I may speak with your directly about your experiences. Thank you for taking the time to follow up.

Regards,
Vicky Chong
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I came to town for a San Francisco event but there were no rooms in the immediate area. I stayed in Oakland since it was close to the airport and it turned out to be a good choice. The room was very nice. My top three favorite features--plenty of electrical outlets near the desk, excellent wireless signal strength and a nice bathroom. The staff was very friendly and provided excellent service. Free shuttle to and from the airport and to local restaurants or other local stops. This hotel is close to the BART station and the shuttle takes you there. In the evening they served fresh baked cookies and serve free breakfast in the morning. My only gripe is that there are hardly any restaurants around here and those that are here are pretty mediocre. That being said, my stay was very enjoyable and I would definitely stay here again next time I am in the Bay area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bhotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Your kudos for our hotel, regarding the service, location and amenities were well received by our staff. I am glad that our shuttle service was convenient for you. There could be other restaurant selections in our neighborhood that we can provide you with on your next visit to our hotel that may be more to your liking. Please feel free to contact me at 510.569.4400, so that I can assist you.

Thank you for making the Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport your Bay Area home away from home.

Dhruv Patel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!