“Very Nice Hotel with great staff but could use a little updating.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Oakland City Center

Parking Package
Ranked #6 of 47 hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fremont CA
“Very Nice Hotel with great staff but could use a little updating.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

Classic Marriott property in a great downtown location.
Spent a "Friday Night" getaway and availed ourselves of the restaurant and bar and room service in the morning. We ate at the City Grill which was nice (dozens of better options in walking distance) but certainly convenient.
This hotel is adjacent to the Convention Center so it does a booming business but the hotel staff was VERY friendly and helpful.
We actually didn't like the 1st room - it had a weird configuration for TV viewing - and they had no compunction about moving us to a "better" one.
The rooms however, could use updating. The TV's are old and by this decade I expect larger flat screens in all "upscale" Marriotts.
The room was an excellent value as we used a "free night" certificate but Oakland not being a weekend tourist spot does offer great deals.
As mentioned it was overall a pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

356 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I'm a business traveler on the road 20+ weeks a year in the US. I was a guest at the Oakland Marriott City Center from 1/18/10 to 1/23/10. From the time I checked in, to the time I checked out, I felt like I was the only guest in the entire hotel. I was at the hotel for an intensive four-day business meeting, and my birthday was the same week. The associates at the hotel recognized it was my birthday and went out of their way to show me that the guest truly comes first with a card, cake, good wishes, etc. I really appreciated all of their efforts and will go out of my way to stay at the Marriott City Center whenever I am in Oakland.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Quincy, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

'Not a big fan of staying corporate' yeah yeah yeah- this was really a terrific place from soup to nuts.
We had been checked in to a 'luxury boutique hotel' down the block. That lasted 45 minutes! We walked across the street to the Marriott, and this on a Friday evening. The sincerity of the check in staff, and their empathetic bemusement at our experience, was heartwarming. We were given a 20th floor room, with an amazing Bay view, and offered an incredibly low rate, almost half that of the 'boutique hotel'. They even threw in a free drink at the bar for us. The room was clean, bright, the bed was second to none, and had all the conveniences and amenities you want and expect at a nice hotel. The staff was courteous wherever we went, from the bar to the lobby. There is a false sincerity that pervades many corporate venues- this was not the case at the Marriott.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Easy check-in; helpful, friendly staff; very good room service food delviered timely and politely; the print out computer/machine for airline tickets in the hotel lobby at a kiosk was very convenient; located across the street from the BART for a quick trip into San Fran or San Fran airport; also great bar/service with fairly good priced apps during happy hour. Great for business traveler.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco Bay Area, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I stay in hotels frequently and have had pretty good experiences at the Marriott (I'm a Rewards Member) whenever I check in there. I stayed the night of 11/6 in Downtown Oakland at their Convention Center location. Check in was a breeze, and without asking I was upgraded to a large corner room with two huge windows-- I had nice views of both Downtown Oakland and San Francisco.

The room was reasonably clean (there were a couple of spots on the floor), the bed linens were high quality. The bed was firm-- I've slept on more comfortable beds at other hotels (e.g. Hyatt). The pillows were plentiful and fluffy and made up for it, though. The shower had good pressure with plenty of hot water. But the bathroom was TINY. The place was perfectly quiet-- I felt like I was the only person in the whole hotel while in my room.

I ordered room service for dinner one night and breakfast the next day.

Dinner room service: Quick, within fifteen minutes of calling my order was delivered. But, it arrived without part of the meal. When I called about it the woman on the phone was apologetic and sent the food up quickly with an extra beverage. The food was good-- hot things were hot, cold things were cold.

Breakfast room service: It arrived exactly on time, and was quite good. Huge portions (a good thing or not, depending on your eating philosophy), and well prepared.

Caution: Oakland is not a great place to go for vacation. Offerings are limited, and after dark it is not safe to walk alone downtown. But it is cheaper to stay here than in San Francisco, and easy to get across the bay to SF on BART.

The hotel has a decent pool (outdoor) and a business center that charges $15 for half hour(!) internet access. One of the few negatives about this place.

The restaurant is attractive, and the waitstaff is attentive. Prices are high, but that wasn't surprising.

Overall I am quite pleased with the experience, and recommend Marriott highly to anyone looking for a decent but not frilly, straightforward place to stay. I'd say it's a step above Holiday Inn, but below say, the Fairmont or Clift.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

You can walk from BART to this hotel so not need car! We stayed here to watch the 4th of July fireworks at Jack London Square. You can also ask for room facing the fireworks. Professional staff, good looking property, good rooms. We picked up BBQ at Everett & Jones on our way to the fireworks & also had breakfast the next morning at Buttercup (tons of food) all within walking distance of hotel. Hotel food in restaurant/bar is expensive and average and there are many options outside the hotel front door. Had a blast at the fireworks and then enjoyed one night hotel living afterward. Don't have to worry about designated driver if you imbibe a little too much. Some of the the Warriors live here so they can be close to their practice facility next door so you might see players in elevators too.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

I needed to stay at The Marriott Oakland City Center for a business meeting in early June 2009. I was dreading it a bit, as I usually research my hotel choices extensively in advance. This time, I had no choice, as I simply needed to stay at the hotel where my meetings were, and typically hotels that have a captive audience like this are of poor quality.

I was pleasantly surprised. This was a standard Marriott hotel. Beautiful bed linens, satisfactory housekeeping/cleanliness, and a room that was reasonably sized.

I guess I would say there was nothing remarkable at all about this place, it just did the job fine. I would recommend that the carpeting be replaced before long. No other complaints or compliments for the room.

I used the exercise room a few times. They were expanding it, so there was construction going on, but they still kept open the part that was usable, which I really appreciated (would have been easy for them to say "fitness room closed during renovation" which would have been a drag for me as a single woman not wanting to roam around downtown Oakland at night to exercise).

The BART station is across the street, and with the AirBart shuttle, you can get to/from the airport for $4.50.

I did not eat in the hotel, so can't comment on that.

The hotel is adjacent to/integrated into the convention center.

Did not have a car, so cannot comment on valet service or parking situation.

There are lots of restaurant of all sorts within walking distance. Jack London Square is about a mile away (roughly). You'll want to keep your wits about you in downtown Oakland at night, but don't let that deter you from enjoying yourself.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the Marriott Oakland City Center.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Oakland City Center? Share your experiences!