“Good Hotel, could be Great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Good Hotel, could be Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is a very nice hotel in Oakland, but it's just behind the times with no WiFi. It just doesn't fly this day and age of technology to have business or leisure travelers not have access to wifi during their hotel stay. I cannot see the cost of providing free wifi to customers being something beyond Marriott capabilities. Motels offer wifi. I think this was the only downside to our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
April D, Front Office Manager at Marriott Oakland City Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your comments. It's valuable feedback like yours that helps us continue to be a favorite hotel in downtown Oakland. I will be sure to pass your comments along to our team. We hope to see you again next time you're in Oakland!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Dakar, Senegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

When I arrived Sunday evening, I did not expect the room to be so large. I was given something that was almost as large as a suite. I don't alway find soft beds comfortable, but this king size bed was. I slept very well considering that later in the evening, I cracked a tooth and needed emergency dental service. The concierge found the dentist for me and I had an appointment the next morning. I did not need that trauma then because I was there to take the 1st year law student's exam Tuesday and I needed all day Monday to study. At least I was able to get through the exam with my dental problem taken care of. The staff was helpful because I needed something printed and the desk receptionist told be to send it to their email and he would print it from there. Very nice. I ate each meal in the hotel restaurant. It was pricey but the food was ample and delicious. I was never able to finish any meal. At the end, my server gave me a free sorbet to finish off my meal. Overall, it was a great stay and I look forward to staying there again if I have to go back to Oakland.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and that our front desk team was able to help during your time with us. Best of luck as you continue through law school! We hope to see you again soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Oakland City Center's Marriott is a typical Marriott hotel; nice, clean, and relatively upscale. I find reviews knocking the area pretty pointless and being a fan of Oakland myself, it's also irritating. Keep your wits about you, just like you would anywhere else - that's all. Or stay in a different city. Anyway, I found the location extremely convenient, what with the BART station right by the hotel. Commuting to San Francisco and back a couple times was very smooth. Breakfast was also good. Staff is decent. Taking a star off because there were some issues at check-in that were never resolved, (I booked a package stay where the contents of said, "package," were not all delivered.)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
April D, Front Office Manager at Marriott Oakland City Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review us. It's good to hear you're a fan of Oakland - there really is a lot to love about "the town"! I'm sorry to hear there were issues with the hotel package you booked. If this hasn't already been resolved, please contact me directly at 510-451-4000 so I can look into it further.

I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Oakland proper leaves a lot to be desired. That being said, the Oakland City Center is a great property. Met by very courteous staff, booked in room 901 which is a corner room with multiple views. Yes, hallways have funky 70's carpet but the room has everything needed for a stay. There was a guest appreciation night with free wine and food in the lobby. Met some great people and had a nice time. Went to Level 2 restaurant and had James, the best server in the world. Filet was to die for and I have dined at 5 star steak houses. Have nothing but great things to say about this property and will stay here each time I come back over the next six months.

Room Tip: Room 901!!! Views out of both windows. No neighbors!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm glad to hear you were able to attend our guest appreciation event and enjoy a delicious steak at Level Two. Our Executive Chef takes a lot of pride in the menu at Level Two and serves aged Certified Angus Beef steaks - along with many other locally sourced dinner options. It's good to hear that James is so loved by our guests as well. We'll be sure to pass along your kind words.

Thanks again for choosing our hotel as your home away from home and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stayed at the Marriot Oakland on a recent business trip. It's probably one of the best hotels in the oakland area. Looks a bit dated on the outside but is pleasant inside. Staff we very helfpul throughout the stay. Check in was quick and easy. Room was a good size and had all the amenities you would expect in a downtown Marriot. Gym is good - quite large size and plenty of different equipment. Bar area is also good. I didn't eat at the restaurant so I can't comment on that. I did order room service breakfast and that was very good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
April D, Front Office Manager at Marriott Oakland City Center, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed some of our hotel amenities. I hope to see you again next time you're in Oakland!
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just got back from a trip to watch baseball in the bat area. Are first time in the area but not are last. The rooms are small as all rooms are in the bay area. But they where clean and the people where great. It is close to BART and that makes it easy to get to the ball parks and into San Francisco.
My best part was the staff in the bar. All where good but Tommy stands out. Always helpful and smiling. Great service.
Only thing not working as it should was the check out on the TV. Never got it to work but did get the phone system to work. If I had Tommy's number I bet he would have taken care of it for me.
Count me in for coming back.

Room Tip: All looked good to me. May be ask for off of Broadway side
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
April D, Front Office Manager at Marriott Oakland City Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay! BART is a great way to get around the Bay area, especially for baseball games. Thanks for leaving that tip for future guests. Tommy is wonderful, we'll be sure to pass your kind words along to him. We hope to see you again soon!
Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Very helpful staff and accommodative. Location is good. The concierge has are descent selections of food. The negative us the bathroom was very small. Barely can move for two people
If inside. Not enough towel but you just need to request.

Room Tip: Rooms is descent
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you found our staff to be helpful and accommodating. I hope you enjoyed the view from the Concierge Lounge - it's a good way to start or end your day. We hope to see you again next time you're in Oakland!

Been to Marriott Oakland City Center? Share your experiences!