“Very comfortable stay in Oakland” 4 of 5 stars

Parking Package
Ranked #6 of 47 hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kent, Ohio USA.
“Very comfortable stay in Oakland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel was extremely convenient and walking distance to Preservation Park, where we were holding our daughter's wedding.
We had an end of corridor corner room that was a good size, and the king sized bed was extremely comfortable.
Valet parking was expensive as we had a commercial van they had to park across the street at the Courtyard by Marriott ($33 a day). Tip: if you have a higher vehicle and are stay here, go straight to the Courtyard and park there for $11 less per day!
When we arrived there seemed to be no trolleys to transport bags and no staff either. Just a small negative.
We had a cocktail reception in the bar on the second floor and the staff there were exceptional.

Room Tip: Corner suite was a good size
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

356 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is a standard Marriott hotel. Nothing spectacular, but nothing wrong with it either. I had a nice stay. Beds and pillows were very comfortable and gym is well equipped. Each room has a refrigerator which is convenient. I have no complaints.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here for a San Francisco conference when all the hotels were full in the city. It is literally directly across the street from the BART (San Francisco rapid transit) so you can be in and out of the city in 15 minutes.

The hotel itself is very nice with very good service, tho I did come in late one night to find the door unattended and no one in the lobby. Downtown Oakland has many nice restaurants, but can be dangerous -- there had been gunfire down the block a few days before I arrived according to my travel agency update.

The buffet breakfast was very good; the Concierge lounge was excellent. Beds were very comfortable and everything was clean, modern and up to Marriott standards. Internet was an extra fee $9.95 for standard/$13.95 for hi performance. I tried both and did not see too much difference.

I would definitely stay again if I was not able to stay in downtown San Francisco at a decent rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed here because of the other reviews on TripAdvisor, but I wasn't sure because it was in Oakland... but it was a gem. Tony, the bellman, is awesome! we had to unexpectedly dry clean some clothes but it was past the morning cut off time to get it the same day - but Tony really helped us out by taking it to the dry cleaning place and making sure it was in our closet in the bedroom by the time we got back that night. The hotel is clean, valet was fast and everyone was really friendly. The room was big - king bed, sofa, large dresser with tv, working desk. The bed and pillows were comfortable too! Definitely worth it!

Room Tip: Any room is good!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here as part of a Coastal California trip for two nights. Arrived Saturday early evening, checked out Monday morning. As far as service goes, I think it was adequate. We didn't ask for much so there wasn't much disappointment to be had. I found the room to be clean. We used the self-park, so I can't comment on the valet. I did use the fitness center as I was unsure about the surrounding areas for an outside run. Our room over looked the bay which really I found to be mostly other buildings and maybe some bay if I used my binoculars. The number one thing I loved about this hotel was its proximity to public transportation. I’ve stayed at many hotels that claim to be convenient to public transportation or across the street and it ends up being much more of a walk than you bargained for. This was truly across the street. We had an awesome experience with gentleman working at the subway station early that Sunday morning directing us jet lagged east coasters. What we were really looking for in a hotel was accessibility to San Francisco at a good price and that is exactly what we got. The hotel is also only a block from Oakland’s Chinatown, which we went to twice. By far not that great but the boyfriend will do anything for good Asian food. Our room was on the 17th floor and we could look down onto the hotel pool. We did not go to the pool but honestly it looked a little gross. Looked very blue which to me just scream chemicals. All in all, I would say if you snag a deal on this place and you are interested in San Francisco, absolutely a great choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have been loyal to Marriott for over 6 years, having over 600 nights on my account. In all my stays I have never been treated as rudely as at this hotel. The valet/bell stand guys flat out ignored us when we walked up with our suitcases. There were 3 people checking in guest when we arrived and a large family waiting. As is the case at most Marriott locations there is a "Elite" check-in line. We stood in line there since we are Platinum in their program. The employee at this desk finished helping the guest in front of me and called for next. My wife and I approached, as we were next at the "elite" desk. She very promptly told us that "im going to help the other family, they were here first". I said "this is the elite checkin location correct"? She said yes, but that didnt matter, she was helping the other group. I stepped to the side, but still near the counter. She then told me "you need to step away from my counter, im helping another family". If it wasnt for the fact if would be a last minute booking, I would have cancelled the room and gone elsewhere.

We went for breakfast the following day, there was no hostess when we arrived at the desk. We waited and lady approached, you could see on her face that she was not in a good mood and didnt care about her job. We watched her throughout our meal, and she treated all guest very rudely. Several parties she would place the menus on the table and walk away before diners even got to the table.

The rooms, very outdated. Felt like we were back in the mid 1980's.

Only redeeming factor for this hotel is the BART station is across the street and the ease of access to San Fran.

Room Tip: Not certain there are good rooms at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stated here three night while on a road trip through California. Great location to BART, only a few stops way from S.F. Clean rooms and very friendly staff. Pool was nice, but can be windy given location; sadly no hot tub. Level Two restaurant was delicious and very friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Marriott Oakland City Center? Share your experiences!