“Great location, wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Parking Package
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Clarkdale, AZ
“Great location, wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our vacation began with our luggage being lost, so we weren't in the best of spirits when checking in. Derek at the front desk was wonderful, friendly and gave us a great recommendation for a local brew pub. Though we still had no luggage the next day, the staff, Terry in particular, followed every lead to get our things to us. I honestly can't compliment the staff enough.
Location is right across the street from a BART station so getting to San Francisco is a cinch. If you are a beer lover, there are at least three destination beer bars within an easy walk.
The room was lovely and even the maid service was noteworthy (don't forget to tip!).
All in all a great experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Silicon Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I give this hotel the highest rating for its value. We had no issues, and the quality of the room was par with the small number of expensive stays at places we've had like Nagoya Marriott, Tokyo ANA Intercontinental, Loews Miami Beach, Venice Londra Palace. That sounds like name dropping but that's not a lot of elegant places for a lifetime (mostly, we stay at way lower tier places when we travel).

My background is that I am a lifelong resident of San Jose. Sometimes we would spend the night in SF with our kids at the Beresford Arms, which is a good value to stay overnight in SF for families with children. But this review is about the Oakland Marriott. We had to spend the night at a place convenient to BART. Oakland Marriott is literally on top of an underground BART station, with only one stop between it and SF Embarcadero. As a lifelong resident of the Bay Area, please take my word for it that this location atop Oakland CIty Center BART will provide easier and faster access to many tourist places in SF than the locations of many, much more expensive hotels that are in SF.

We had connecting rooms, one for us and one for our kids, on the 18th floor with spectacular views. Strangely, this place looks off the radar for the SF tourist trade. It was a Friday night, busy time for the tourist trade. But the hotel seemed relatively empty, and most of the guests we noticed were either there for a pseudo-medicine convention, or for an obviously "local Oak-Town" wedding. Didn't see any tourists, internationals, etc.

Our two connecting rooms combined were cheaper than a single room at the San Francisco Marriott for the same night.

This is a great value. Yes, I know, the wifi was $10. But I give the high marks for the value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Fresno
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I guess my stay at the Marriott Oakland City Center turned sour when it took me 1.5 hours to get from waiting in line to parking the car. The lobby and everything seemed nice, but there was a mix-up with getting checked in and then problems with getting into the parking garage (many different sets of instructions, none of which worked. I waited in line with others who couldn't get in then pressed the buzzer for the parking attendant to come, but of course he didn't). The room was ok but it was hard not to avoid the impression that the hotel was trying to get every penny out of me. Bottled water was $4.50 for a dented and sad piece of plastic.There were two rates for internet $9.99 and $14.99. What's the difference? One is fast and one is slow. Huh? Any numbers on that? Nope. Only coffee, no tea. At night I looked for a vending machine in the cavernous lobby. You guessed it: it took my $5 and gave the wrong item. I come to Oakland for business often, but no, wouldn't return. Even if I am on an expense account, I don't like the feeling of being ripped off for every small thing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I like this hotel more than I have liked other Mariott's that I have stayed at, and it is definitely a cut above the rest in the area. The bed was extremely comfortable - so comfortable we looked at the tag because we wanted to get one like it! The only downside is as it is a Mariott there are lots of extra charges: valet parking was over $20/day, no free wifi ($9.95/day per computer which adds up with multiple computers). The room service is pretty fast and the food is better than a lot of other hotels I've been to (and about comparably priced). The housekeeping is competent yet unobtrusive, meaning that they don't rush you out of the room in order to clean it. Also, because there is an entryway to each room, it allows you to answer the door, while keeping the bed portion of the room private. Staff was very pleasant. Hotel security was good without being overbearing. I've stayed at this Mariott numerous times, and look forward to staying there again soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Accommodations were the standard Marriott experience. Nice linens and bathroom amenities. The TV channel selection was poor, no viacom channels. Wi-Fi was free in the lobby but not in the rooms. Close to the BART station which was a plus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here over Memorial Weekend! The hotel was a great choice. The accommodations were great and the staff was wonderful! Enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning! The hotel is convenient and staff! I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stay in this hotel regularly for business and find it to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in -- comfortable, extremely friendly staff and the atmosphere is such that it does not have the anonymity of a chain hotel, yet it has all the amenities of one!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Oakland City Center? Share your experiences!