“Enjoyable Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Enjoyable Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here over Memorial Weekend! The hotel was a great choice. The accommodations were great and the staff was wonderful! Enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning! The hotel is convenient and staff! I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stay in this hotel regularly for business and find it to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in -- comfortable, extremely friendly staff and the atmosphere is such that it does not have the anonymity of a chain hotel, yet it has all the amenities of one!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tracy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed one night and had a great experience. The bed and pillows were comfortable, the room was nicely appointed, and the view was beautiful. We stayed on the 18th floor and just watched from the window most of the time we were in the room. The light-blocking draperies were a nice touch and we slept well. The room service breakfast arrived on time and was delicious and one serving was plenty for both my daughter and me to share and got her fueled up prior to getting started at another day of volleyball. Free wi-fi would have been nice, and my daughter didn't care for the way the TV stations were set-up but other than that, it was a great stay. Nice and quiet, too.

Room Tip: Our view of the tall, city buildings was beautiful, particularly at night but a view facing the ocea...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the reasonable price and the location, which has convenient access to the freeway and is less than a mile from dining and nightlife options in Jack London Square. I'd recommend this spot if, like us, most of your travel is on the Oakland/Berkley/Napa side of the Bay -- but even if you plan to visit San Francisco, you can hop on freeway in a few minutes or walk over to the BART station a block or two away. This Marriott apparently has been renovated in recent years, with a modern feel and decor. The rooms aren't big, but they're clean and well-appointed. The housekeeping staff was exceptional, in my opinion. The only reasons I don't give this hotel five stars are these two: (1)Ice machines are only on alternate floors -- apparently only on even-numbered floors; so it was a pain to have to go up or down a floor to get ice. (2) The self-parking option involves a harrowing drive up and down a severely tight, winding driveway up to the third level of the adjacent convention center parking garage. From there you go through a walkway to a set of elevators that take you to the main hotel, where you have to change to a different set of elevators to go to your room. It's kind of a hassle, but at least the elevators are fast. All in all, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an even-numbered floor, unless you don't mind going up or down a floor every t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Gabriel, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

There are certain brands that deliver on their reputation, Marriot usually does and the Oakland City Center can be counted as one of them. Staff was friendly and helpful, the check-in experience was painless and efficient. The front desk person even pointed out a few things that I would have missed, such as the complimentary lounge/dining that was included with my stay (perk from being booked as a business stay). I would tell people not to expect a big room as I actually thought the room was smaller than expected but it was actually just big enough since I was traveling alone.

One of the things that stood out with this hotel is the breakfast, they have an "all you can eat" breakfast buffet that has some tasty choices. I'm not someone who typically eats a large breakfast so I ordered from the regular menu, the portion size of my breakfast was very large and I wasn't able to finish my breakfast, maybe only got halfway finished.

The other amenity that stood out was the complimentary lounge/dining they also offer. It's a room that's only open to certain guests as you have to slide your keycard at the door to get access. They have a variety of appetizer choices, think happy hour portions, and have a few wine and beer beverages on hand as well. There's also complimentary computer with a printer which was very convenient so I could print out my boarding pass.

Location is great, right in the middle of downtown Oakland and maybe a 20 minute cab drive from the airport (this is without traffic). There's restaurants nearby and Oakland Chinatown is a block away from the hotel if you're in the mood for Chinese food.

Overall this is your "classic" Marriot experience and a great choice for a business stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
So Cal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for the Bay to Breakers race this year. Usually stay at the Courtyard Marriott down the street but they were fully booked. Like this Marriott better than the Courtyard although they don't have free wifi. I just do not understand why a nice middle level hotel still charges guests for wifi in their rooms when cheap hotels offer them for free!

They gave me a room on the 12th floor at the end of the hallway. Took the woman forever to check me in...I think she was relatively new. Not very good at customer service as she didn't even tell me how to get to my room or where the elevators were.

Only had to share one wall so it was nice and quiet. The bed and linens were very comfortable and I really liked the quality of their toiletries. The lotion was actually moisturizing unlike the cheaper ones that just evaporate as soon as you put them on. My only and biggest complaint is the T.V. remote. It was awful! Had to push the buttons hard and so many times to change channels, etc. My fingers were actually sore.

A scary thing did happen on the first night though. Someone tried to get into my room by violently juggling the door handle. Couldn't get in because I had the chain and security bolt on but gosh it was scary. I tried to look out the peep hole but couldn't see anything because it was too high up. The next morning, I opened the door slowly to exit, just in case. Have to remember to bring my door stop alarm next time.

Very convenient location as I literally get off the BART, cross the street and there's the hotel. Didn't check out any of their amenities but their in-room coffee actually tastes decent, not watery. The rate that I paid for through hotels.com was way higher than what the hotel actually wrote down upon my check-in...$159 compared to $118. If I was traveling on my own dime, I'd book directly with the hotel in the future but since I was traveling for work this time, it didn't really matter.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is a typical Marriott: comfortable, safe, reliable. The bed and pillows are very comfortable. The decor is warm and soothing. The lobby offers computers/printers and has lots of comfortable seats/tables. There is a Starbucks that serves hot meals as well as the other coffee drinks. The area is very safe and is within walking distance to a BART station. It's on the edge of Chinatown with many authentic restaurants. We chose to use valet parking, which is free, and our car was fine when we got it back. We also got it back within a few minutes of asking for it. The staff are very friendly and helpful. My only complaint: I could hear the guests in the room above me. That's very strange for a Marriott and I don't think I have every experienced that with their hotels. If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room on the top floor.

Room Tip: Top floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Oakland City Center? Share your experiences!