“Our trip to Oakland” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fontana, California
“Our trip to Oakland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had read some reviews and was concerned about selecting this hotel. But I am a Marriott customer and felt that if they had this location for a hotel it must be nice.
I was completely satisfied with this hotel.
The hall was dark and I remembered the reviews about it. I called the customer service and it was fixed. I was satisfied.
The room was a bay view and it was very nice. The bed was very comfortable.
The staff was very nice and accommodating
I have to say that if you have any doubt, please don't, you will like this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We loved this oasis in the heart of Downtown Oakland, California.

My daughter graduated from UC Berkeley in May, 2012--- we needed a decent hotel for her graduation weekend and we booked this property through "Hotwire".

Even though its not the closest location for Berkeley per se, we found the Oakland Chinatown (only 2 blocks away) was the best reason to stay at this property.

Dim Sum can be found everywhere, at 10 different places at least! The competition makes the prices really cheap. 50 cents for most shiu mi and pork buns max out at 75 cents. How about a large order of BBQ pork Chow Fun for $1.75?

If you love asian cuisine, you will be in heaven while staying in a very comfortable room at the Oakland Marriot. Don't stay too long, as your waistline will grow several inches, LOL.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This typically large Marriott, adjacent to the convention center, provided me with a decent room, very helpful staff, with the12th Street BART station right on the corner offering easy access to San Francisco. There is a free shuttle around Oakland until 7 PM, later on weekends, which stops right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Southlake, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel was rather nice. I was not sure what to make of the reviews as some people called the area kind of shady. I found it to be a decent area but the driveway was very difficult to enter as it was only one way and you could not circle the block. The room was clean and as other travelers mentioned the bed was quite comfortable. The staff was very nice and helpful. I ordered room service and it was ok. I ordered at the last minute so I think that was why it was not very good. Overall, this hotel was nice and close to where I needed to go. It was convenient to get to San Francisco shopping and the airport. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just an average Marriott, where I generally stay twice a month, in various cities, on business travel. The concierge needs a better variety and quality of food in the evening, The food is not warm and appears to be left over from earlier in the day. One elevator was out of service the entire week. The front desk is not conveniently located to the parking garage, which is shared with the convention center, the obvious intent is for you to valet park. Access to the garage is very small. Be cautious if you have a large vehicle or SUV

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
OaklandMarriott, General Manager at Marriott Oakland City Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for the review Michele W. I apologize that you did not enjoy the food in our concierge lounge. I assure you that we make the hot food each night, specifically for our guests in the lounge. We are continually improving the variety and healthy options based on suggestions such as yours. The parking garage elevators are connected to the hotel, providing the convenience of a short indoor walk to our hotel registration and guest room elevators. I hope you will stay with again the next time you are in the Oakland area.
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I spent a few days here after the New Year and were happy with the accomodations, of course being in California nothing is cheap, and had to pay $24 for parking and $10 a day for wifi.
The staff were very courteous and helpful, the room was exceptionally clean had nice views, was quiet and we felt quite at home there. We liked the central location and would definately stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I am happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on keeping our facilities clean and inviting with our friendly staff. Our self parking option does now provides unlimited in and out privileges, which can be very useful when exploring the area. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Oakland!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

First, I got a great rate on the room at $129 per night. With that, the experience was on par with the price. The desk service could have been faster. However, the staff was pleasant once present.

The rooms were basic with flat panel TV's and wet bar but rather small in space. The views of the Oakland Port and Bay are amazing. The location is optimal...near a Bart Station, walking distance to old Oakland, Jack London Square, and the Waterfront. Just 5 minutes away from Lake Merritt. All in all, not bad.

Room Tip: Request a high floor room with a view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Glad to hear you took advantage of our central location here; lots to do within a short distance. There are plenty of great restaurants near the hotel with Chinatown and Jack London Square a few blocks away. Our rooms do offer great views of either the SF bay or the city and surrounding hills. I apologize for the wait time you experienced upon check in. I hope you will stay with us again and give us a chance to wow you with our customer service and make your entire stay here an excellent one!

Been to Marriott Oakland City Center? Share your experiences!