“Located right next to BART station for easy access to San Francisco” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Oakland City Center

Parking Package
Ranked #7 of 47 hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, GA, USA
“Located right next to BART station for easy access to San Francisco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This typically large Marriott, adjacent to the convention center, provided me with a decent room, very helpful staff, with the12th Street BART station right on the corner offering easy access to San Francisco. There is a free shuttle around Oakland until 7 PM, later on weekends, which stops right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel was rather nice. I was not sure what to make of the reviews as some people called the area kind of shady. I found it to be a decent area but the driveway was very difficult to enter as it was only one way and you could not circle the block. The room was clean and as other travelers mentioned the bed was quite comfortable. The staff was very nice and helpful. I ordered room service and it was ok. I ordered at the last minute so I think that was why it was not very good. Overall, this hotel was nice and close to where I needed to go. It was convenient to get to San Francisco shopping and the airport. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just an average Marriott, where I generally stay twice a month, in various cities, on business travel. The concierge needs a better variety and quality of food in the evening, The food is not warm and appears to be left over from earlier in the day. One elevator was out of service the entire week. The front desk is not conveniently located to the parking garage, which is shared with the convention center, the obvious intent is for you to valet park. Access to the garage is very small. Be cautious if you have a large vehicle or SUV

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
OaklandMarriott, General Manager at Marriott Oakland City Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for the review Michele W. I apologize that you did not enjoy the food in our concierge lounge. I assure you that we make the hot food each night, specifically for our guests in the lounge. We are continually improving the variety and healthy options based on suggestions such as yours. The parking garage elevators are connected to the hotel, providing the convenience of a short indoor walk to our hotel registration and guest room elevators. I hope you will stay with again the next time you are in the Oakland area.
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I spent a few days here after the New Year and were happy with the accomodations, of course being in California nothing is cheap, and had to pay $24 for parking and $10 a day for wifi.
The staff were very courteous and helpful, the room was exceptionally clean had nice views, was quiet and we felt quite at home there. We liked the central location and would definately stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I am happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on keeping our facilities clean and inviting with our friendly staff. Our self parking option does now provides unlimited in and out privileges, which can be very useful when exploring the area. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Oakland!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

First, I got a great rate on the room at $129 per night. With that, the experience was on par with the price. The desk service could have been faster. However, the staff was pleasant once present.

The rooms were basic with flat panel TV's and wet bar but rather small in space. The views of the Oakland Port and Bay are amazing. The location is optimal...near a Bart Station, walking distance to old Oakland, Jack London Square, and the Waterfront. Just 5 minutes away from Lake Merritt. All in all, not bad.

Room Tip: Request a high floor room with a view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Glad to hear you took advantage of our central location here; lots to do within a short distance. There are plenty of great restaurants near the hotel with Chinatown and Jack London Square a few blocks away. Our rooms do offer great views of either the SF bay or the city and surrounding hills. I apologize for the wait time you experienced upon check in. I hope you will stay with us again and give us a chance to wow you with our customer service and make your entire stay here an excellent one!
West Tisbury, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Little things are bothersome here; only one (or no one) at the check in desk, with many people waiting, oblivious to that fact. Restaurant often not open in the evening. Elevators slow and have floor indicator lights out; one elevator has had the indicator out for months. Hallways not kept clear of trash. Just not a well managed facility.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I am sad to hear that you were not impressed by our facilities during your stay. We often serve dinner in our lounge area during slower times; we find it to be more welcoming and warm, however we are delighted to seat our guests anywhere you choose, including our restaurant area. Our elevator modernizations are very close to complete. We’ve seen our new elevators in action, and are very excited to have every elevator operating faster and more efficiently, very soon. I hope the next time you are visiting the area you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves and show you how great our customer service can be!
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was not impressed with the ambience of Jack London Square and the hotel delivered the basics but couldn't wow me. I was there on a vacation weekend so I should probably blame myself for choosing poorly. The hotel has great access to BART and delivered the functional things you expect for a Marriott

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I understand Jack London Square didn’t meet your expectations; however the Lake Merritt area near the hotel can be dazzling on sunny days with nice views and great restaurants. I hope you will think of us again the next time you are in Oakland, and I hope you will give us a second chance to show you the above and beyond service we love to provide!

Been to Marriott Oakland City Center? Share your experiences!