“Nice Hotel - Questionable Location” 3 of 5 stars

Parking Package
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Nice Hotel - Questionable Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We were in San Francisco on business for two weeks, and because of a large convention in the city, were not able to find a hotel room in San Francisco the first week. Being diehard Marriott loyalists, we opted for the Marriott Oakland City Center across the bay.

The hotel is a nice property - very comfortable rooms, and well appointed. I was upgraded to a Junior Executive Suite, which gave me lots of extra room and a sitting area separate from the sleeping area. While the room was very spacious, the bathroom was tiny. It was so small that it was difficult to go in and close the door.

Although a nice hotel, the property is located in a very questionable area. Oakland, in general, has a less than stellar reputation, and it is well deserved. We didn't have any problems during the daylight hours commuting to the city, but we never felt comfortable venturing outside after dark. Also, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of restaurants near the hotel anyway.

We did eat at the hotel restaurant on several evenings, and it was acceptable, but not great. Food was the standard Marriott fare, and standard high prices for a hotel establishment.

The Concierge Lounge was the low point of the entire stay. While the staff in the lounge was always friendly and accommodating, the layout of the food bar in the corner was poorly planned and always was crowded, and the food was less than mediocre.

We stopped by the lounge each evening, and every night, it was over crowded and the food was often inedible.

We stayed here primarily because it was a Marriott, but would think pretty hard before staying in this same location again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I've stayed at the Marriott Oakland City Center two years in a row for a conference in October and I always have a wonderful stay, even when some problems occur. The rooms are large and spacious and the cleaning staff is always so meticulous. The food is always prepared just as I request and the front desk and doormen are incredibly helpful.

The hotel is right across the street from a BART station and it's about a 15-20 minute ride to Powell St. The hotel doesn't seem like it's in the best area so use caution but the doormen are always looking out for guests, sometimes asking for room keys to make sure you're staying there. There is an outdoor food and shopping area nearby - there's not too much there but it does give a cheaper alternative to pricey hotel food.

Since I'm usually there for conferences, I can say that the ballroom and meeting spaces are also spacious.

The most recent time I was there, I DID have a problem with checking in. I had my confirmation number but was told I wasn't on the list for third-party authorization for the room. I don't know if the problem was with the hotel or with my company, but it definitely put a damper on my schedule. I waited over an hour for it to even seem like they were trying to help me figure out something to do.

I paid for the wireless service from my room and didn't have a problem with it. I wasn't using it all day, though, so I can't say that it was running perfectly during the busiest hours.

I actually look forward to going out there for the conference because the hotel is fantastic. And if I'm in the area for pleasure rather than business, I would definitely think about staying in this hotel as the price is slightly better than staying in the downtown area of San Francisco and the ride in isn't bad at all.

Room Tip: I usually ask to stay on a higher floor and away from the elevators and/or ice machine.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I was there a couple of years ago but I believe my review is still relevant to today and I always want to give praise where praise is due. The rooms are excellent, concierge lounge is great, the food is wonderful and the staff very professional.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
ABQ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

They have nice conference facilities and it is beautiful and right off of the subway system (BART) so it is very convenient to travel to San Francisco. Rooms were very clean and the housekeeping staff were very exceptional! However, they have an outdoor pool that is not warm enough to ever get in it. There is no jucuzzi. They do not have wireless that is reliable. The staff was kind and let me use their internet and it was so slow the pages kept locking up. They have a nice bar as well. I guess my thought is that Marriott is a hotel where people expect the best and it was just mediocre.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We always stay here when in Oakland. Our Christmas stay was just as great as all the others. The hotel was pretty empty (it is more of a business hotel) but the staff were warm and welcoming as always.
Because of my poor planning we ended up having Christmas Eve dinner at the hotel. But, it turned out great. We had a big table for eight in the bar. The food and service were excellent and it was more fun than a restaurant because we could all mingle around the table. Make sure you have the brie and cranberry appetizer, delicious!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

July 2011. I had the opportunity to stay at the Marriott City Center when business required us to be in the area. The hotel is located right in the epicenter of downtown Oakland, close to Kaiser Health HQ and Clorox HQ. Big plus is their B.A.R.T. train station across the street. With makes a quick trip into the city, vs. staying at $$$ S.F. city properties. Downtown Oakland is typical of many inner city locales, but the plus it is a quick walk to Oakland's Chinatown which offers many Asian eating choices.

Check-in was quick and I received a larger corner room with a great view.

My room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed was ultra comfortable and had Marriott’s Revive bedding. Both feather and foam pillows were available. Lighting in the room was very good with lamps on both sides of the bed, on the desk, and a floor lamp. The work desk was about standard and the office-style chair functional and comfortable. My room had a mini fridge and microwwave.

The LCD flat screen TV was had a lot of cable channels as well as a wide selection of pay-per-view movies. I looked at some previews and costs per movie seemed to be between $12 and $15. High-speed Internet service had a charge of $9.95 per day. I used the broadband connection on my phone instead.

The bathroom was small but clean. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouthwash.

The cleaning crew did a great job during my job.

The hotel public areas were clean and well-kept, and were busy due to guests and folks conducting business in the property. This property was host to many activities going on and there were many out of town guests there. There is a moderate exercise room with some good platforms. The service at the onsite property restaurant was good. Food was average.

Chinatown was a few blocks away. Haircuts are all $8.00 in Chinatown! On the weekends, downtown get's quiet. But the plus to property was a quick B.A.R.T. train ride under the bay into the city. This is the 2nd to last stop before going into S.F. This makes this a less expensive alternate to S.F. property rates.

I did not have any problems with the valet parking despite this property hosting several events. The only hiccup during my stay was one of the guests pulled the fire alarm though I was able to find this out before exiting the property. For the rate I paid, I would stay at this property again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hollister, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Our company Holiday party was held at this Marriott. We were promised discount parking for using the parking garage. We all had a special sticker put on our parking tickets which was suppose to give us a discount. When we left 3 hours later we were charged full price! We tried to explain to the parking supervisor but he could not care less and even shrugged his shoulders and said we had to pay. He then told us we were discounted the cost of the full day ($35) even though we stayed three hours. Funny thing is, the cost of three hours posted on the entrance was the exact amount we were charged. We found these people very uncaring. We would not recommend this Marriott to any company for parties. Horrible service.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Oakland City Center? Share your experiences!