We were in San Francisco on business for two weeks, and because of a large convention in the city, were not able to find a hotel room in San Francisco the first week. Being diehard Marriott loyalists, we opted for the Marriott Oakland City Center across the bay.
The hotel is a nice property - very comfortable rooms, and well appointed. I was upgraded to a Junior Executive Suite, which gave me lots of extra room and a sitting area separate from the sleeping area. While the room was very spacious, the bathroom was tiny. It was so small that it was difficult to go in and close the door.
Although a nice hotel, the property is located in a very questionable area. Oakland, in general, has a less than stellar reputation, and it is well deserved. We didn't have any problems during the daylight hours commuting to the city, but we never felt comfortable venturing outside after dark. Also, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of restaurants near the hotel anyway.
We did eat at the hotel restaurant on several evenings, and it was acceptable, but not great. Food was the standard Marriott fare, and standard high prices for a hotel establishment.
The Concierge Lounge was the low point of the entire stay. While the staff in the lounge was always friendly and accommodating, the layout of the food bar in the corner was poorly planned and always was crowded, and the food was less than mediocre.
We stopped by the lounge each evening, and every night, it was over crowded and the food was often inedible.
We stayed here primarily because it was a Marriott, but would think pretty hard before staying in this same location again.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Oakland City Hotel Oakland
- Marriott Oakland City Hotel
- Marriott Oakland
- Oakland Marriott
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oakland Marriott City Center offers commanding views of Lake Merritt, Berkeley Marina, the bay and skyline of San Francisco, and both the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges. Centrally located the hotel is convenient to all Bay Area attractions including Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, the East Bay and Berkeley. Downtown San Francisco is just 12 minutes via the local subway system (BART). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Marriott Oakland City Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.