“One of our favorite dog friendly hotels” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Spring Break Sales!
Ranked #9 of 48 hotels in Oakland
Fresno, California
“One of our favorite dog friendly hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night to go to a friend's wedding at Rock Wall Winery. We like to travel with our dogs, so that was why we picked the hotel, but we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The staff was amazingly friendly and the location was quite nice. There is a big lawn right outside the lobby which is very nice for the dogs, but be prepared to run into some homeless personalities out there, nothing scary just different and know that you'll find this almost every where in Oakland. I read some reviews that said that the train noise kept people up at night, but we had no issues with it at all. The room actually had a sort of double sliding glass door set up that pretty effectively blocked the sound. I only noticed the train whistle once. That being said, I did however hear the neighbor's bed creaking away for 20 minutes as we were falling asleep and noise from the hallway was noticeable, but not terrible. The bathroom could do for some updating, the shower stalls are pretty dark, but the rest of the room was wonderful. Everything was clean. The valet was super fast when we asked for our car.

Pros
- Dog Friendly
- Great staff (from the valet to the house keepers to the clerks at the front desk, every single person was friendly... it was pretty awesome. A+++++ in this department)
- Short walk to Jack London Square, lots to do and see within walking distance

Cons
- Bit of noise (not from outside, but rather hallways and neighboring rooms)
- Not the greatest bathroom, but they were clean, the water was hot, and the water pressure in the shower was pretty good.
- General Oakland-ness. I wouldn't take the dogs out to go potty at night alone because of the people hanging around, but other than asking for some change they didn't really bother us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed 2 nights this week, and had a great stay. Room was clean and bed comfortable, had a great view of the marina and pool. Nice salt water pool. Was a bit disappointed that wine tasting was not offered on weekend or the Monday holiday..... Went to Scotts for dinner, not worth the money. Would try something different next time. Area felt safe and the ferry is right there! Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Very friendly staff and a lovely view of the docks. I was a little worried about the area. It isn't the safest part of town, but hey, it's Oakland! I wasn't expecting a stroll down the Champs-Élysées, but if you're a woman traveling alone—I would not walk around by yourself. Like the other reviewers said, there are trains that go by. If you're a light sleeper, you're SOL. Luckily I am not, but I was in for a surprise when I woke up the next day. I love that the Waterfront is pet friendly and have NO pet fee which is great, but I wouldn't stay here again. I travel with my dog, so when I checked in I'm pretty sure they gave me "the pet room" because I woke up the next morning covered in flea bites. Then I found fleas in the sheets. Oy! It's been a week since I checked out and I'm still itching.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Background: we were travelling for a month around Hawaii and California. We had booked one night after arriving quite late at the airport, before picking up a car the next morning.
Arrival: our reception was lovely, a delightful member of staff was quick, efficient and pleasant. The decor was wonderful. Unfortunately, there was nowhere for us to get any food as it was past 10pm, no room service and no open restaurants nearby.
Room: tasteful and individual, very clean, a super comfortable bed, good shower, noisy air conditioning. However, this proved useful as the people in the room next door were watching a film on the TV, very loudly.
Area: we really did not stay for long enough to explore, but I would have definitely liked more time and think it would make a great base. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which is outside and around the corner from reception (do ask!).
Would we return? Definitely.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paicines, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great room, wonderful view. Restaurants in the area. Staff was very accommodating and fulfilled every need graciously. Close to Ferry station to S.F. to make the sightseeing easier. Will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chico, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We checked in quite late our first night and the woman in reception was terrific - got us checked in and to our room in record time with a little welcome bottle of wine. We had a room overlooking the water and the square with a fireplace - it was very clean and inviting, and the fireplace was nice on a cool night.

The balconies are shared rather than private which was a little weird when someone's kids kept stampeding past our sliding glass door one morning, but other than that, it wasn't a problem. The location overlooking a main area of the square can be noisy, but we didn't mind - we were there on a Friday when they had a "Dancing Under the Stars" evening and it made for great people watching - too bad I couldn't convince my husband to join in.

There are a number of restaurants and bars within easy walking distance, many with outdoor seating. The Farmers Market on Sunday was also inviting, and you are literally right at the ferry if you want to go over to SF for a day. You will likely have to drive to venture to other Oakland neighborhoods - there are some not-so-inviting areas between the Square and a lot of other places you might like to go.

Room Tip: If you will be at the hotel enough to make it worthwhile and can splurge a bit the rooms with the ba...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Nice hotel near great restaurants and marina. Wish I could have stayed longer! Lovely view. Only problem was loud (and drunk) guests out on the balcony at 2:30 am. Security had to come 3 times. I would have liked the moronic guests to be forced to be quiet on the first call.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!