“Lovely room, view and dog friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Romance by the bay
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Redding, California
“Lovely room, view and dog friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed 2 nights this week, and had a great stay. Room was clean and bed comfortable, had a great view of the marina and pool. Nice salt water pool. Was a bit disappointed that wine tasting was not offered on weekend or the Monday holiday..... Went to Scotts for dinner, not worth the money. Would try something different next time. Area felt safe and the ferry is right there! Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Very friendly staff and a lovely view of the docks. I was a little worried about the area. It isn't the safest part of town, but hey, it's Oakland! I wasn't expecting a stroll down the Champs-Élysées, but if you're a woman traveling alone—I would not walk around by yourself. Like the other reviewers said, there are trains that go by. If you're a light sleeper, you're SOL. Luckily I am not, but I was in for a surprise when I woke up the next day. I love that the Waterfront is pet friendly and have NO pet fee which is great, but I wouldn't stay here again. I travel with my dog, so when I checked in I'm pretty sure they gave me "the pet room" because I woke up the next morning covered in flea bites. Then I found fleas in the sheets. Oy! It's been a week since I checked out and I'm still itching.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Background: we were travelling for a month around Hawaii and California. We had booked one night after arriving quite late at the airport, before picking up a car the next morning.
Arrival: our reception was lovely, a delightful member of staff was quick, efficient and pleasant. The decor was wonderful. Unfortunately, there was nowhere for us to get any food as it was past 10pm, no room service and no open restaurants nearby.
Room: tasteful and individual, very clean, a super comfortable bed, good shower, noisy air conditioning. However, this proved useful as the people in the room next door were watching a film on the TV, very loudly.
Area: we really did not stay for long enough to explore, but I would have definitely liked more time and think it would make a great base. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which is outside and around the corner from reception (do ask!).
Would we return? Definitely.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paicines, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great room, wonderful view. Restaurants in the area. Staff was very accommodating and fulfilled every need graciously. Close to Ferry station to S.F. to make the sightseeing easier. Will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chico, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We checked in quite late our first night and the woman in reception was terrific - got us checked in and to our room in record time with a little welcome bottle of wine. We had a room overlooking the water and the square with a fireplace - it was very clean and inviting, and the fireplace was nice on a cool night.

The balconies are shared rather than private which was a little weird when someone's kids kept stampeding past our sliding glass door one morning, but other than that, it wasn't a problem. The location overlooking a main area of the square can be noisy, but we didn't mind - we were there on a Friday when they had a "Dancing Under the Stars" evening and it made for great people watching - too bad I couldn't convince my husband to join in.

There are a number of restaurants and bars within easy walking distance, many with outdoor seating. The Farmers Market on Sunday was also inviting, and you are literally right at the ferry if you want to go over to SF for a day. You will likely have to drive to venture to other Oakland neighborhoods - there are some not-so-inviting areas between the Square and a lot of other places you might like to go.

Room Tip: If you will be at the hotel enough to make it worthwhile and can splurge a bit the rooms with the ba...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Nice hotel near great restaurants and marina. Wish I could have stayed longer! Lovely view. Only problem was loud (and drunk) guests out on the balcony at 2:30 am. Security had to come 3 times. I would have liked the moronic guests to be forced to be quiet on the first call.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I found the room to be nice and spacious and the staff very friendly. I read all the reviews about the train noise so I asked for a quieter room upon check in. They gave me room 452 which was a nice corner room with a partial view of the water. Unfortunately, I could still hear the train noise. The hotel can't do much about this but I appreciated them trying to give me a better room. We received a half bottle of Sonoma Cutrer chardonnay at check in so be sure to join their Joie de Vie club before making a reservation. We found the pool to be very nice and clean but they could use a few more lounge chairs. We will return despite the train noise as I think it is one of the nicer hotels in the immediate area. Farmers market on Sundays is also a plus.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!