“The best hotel in Oakland!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Exclusive Concert Deal!
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Phoenix, Arizona
“The best hotel in Oakland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I work in Oakland and San Francisco quite often so I have stayed at most all of the hotels. The Waterfront Hotel is by far my favorite! You couldn't ask for a nicer staff! I always ask for a room upgrade to one with a balcony over the water so you can watch the sailboats and barges. The rooms are quite spacious and if you enjoy nautical motif you'll love it. Some rooms even have fireplaces. Keep in mind it is a nicely kept older hotel but the warmth and friendliness of the staff will trump anything else. During peak season the ferry dock is right next door so it's just a 15 minute ferry ride to Fisherman's Warf in San Francisco and it leaves every hour. There is no need to fight the traffic or find your way to the subway. It is easy to get on the freeways from this hotel. There are plenty of restaurants and a movie theatre within a block radius and the restaurant at the hotel is fabulous. I highly recommend this hotel! By far the most pleasurable place to stay in Oakland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the water. Gorgeous!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Germantown, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Sadly, We are leaving this wonderful hotel this morning. We have had a lovely time. Our room was one of the best I have ever stayed in. Room 356 is a big suite that looks out over the beautiful harbor which is filled mostly with fabulous white sail boats. We were visiting family so it was the perfect place for everyone to meet and congregate for an after dinner drink or to plan the next days activities. The room was clean and the bed and linens were incredibly comfortable. Large bathroom with a separate area with sink and more countertop space! The staff was friendly and competent. The location is perfect. We never felt unsafe and walked around the area at night to restaurants. There is a cute farmers market along the waterway (jack london square) on Sundays. I would come back here in a heartbeat. It is convienently located next to the ferry into San Fran and the Bart is about six blocks away. The hotel staff will be happy to call a cab for you at any time. Be sure to join the jdv club on line for a free bottle of wine upon check in!

Room Tip: Room 356 was superb although if u don't need suite, any room facing the water with a balcony wou...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Mateo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Waterfront in a regular king room with no view. It was a comfortable, fairly spacious, no frills room. Just off the lobby entry, there is a nice sitting room with a cozy fireplace. There is an outdoor pool facing the Bay. I can't imagine it ever being warm enough to swim in, but it was nice to sit by. Several reviewers have mentioned noise from the train, which I didn't find to be a problem. The price was reasonable for what you get, but I would have appreciated some little extras like a fridge and microwave. Overall, I found the Waterfront to have a bit more charm than your average chain hotel, but the rooms without a view are a bit lackluster. I'd probably stay there again if I needed a place to stay in Oakland, but next time I'd spring for a room with a balcony overlooking the Bay, which would have greatly enhanced our experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at the Waterfront Hotel while in Oakland on business. The hotel is a decent value for the money. My room was plenty big - spacious even. The hotel is older, but in good shape; the only thing I saw that needed replacement/upgrading was the hallway carpeting. The motif takes a bit of getting used to...the hotel is on the water so they've gone with a seafaring look. It was clean and tasteful (within the motif), but seemed a bit out of date in 2013.

My room was clean, comfortable and functional. The wireless internet access worked well and there was plenty of space in the room to work. Lighting was good with a variety of options. Windows were large and opened if fresh air is desired. The sink area (outside of bathroom) was large, well-lit and modern; hair-dryer is provided. Plenty of closet and drawer space.

There currently is no restaurant - under renovation/new management and slated to re-open early Feb. 2013; there is limited room service while the restaurant is closed, but there are plenty of restaurant choices within walking distance. There is also a basic continental breakfast available.

The staff and service were outstanding. Special acknowledgement to Aki the concierge and Katrina at the front desk.

Several reviewers have commented on the noise, especially the trains and in some cases the A/C in the room. My A/C worked fine; kept the room comfortable and was not noisy. My room faced the side where the trains go by (1 block away). I did not find the noise excessive and by and large, the trains only run during the day/early evening.

The hotel is right on Jack London Square and convenient to most of the sights, activities and restaurants in that area of town. The convention center is an easy 10-block walk; the hotel also has a shuttle that operates during the day.

All in all, my stay was very good. It was convenient, comfortable and clean. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: They will provide a refrigerator if requested.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

There are not a lot of hotels (or anything else) in Oakland, and although there is a lot of noise throughout the night from ships on the waterfront and the freight train line that runs right past the hotel, this is definitely a good option. Rooms are huge, beds comfortable, staff helpful and location good with a great view over the water from some rooms. I was upgraded to a room with a lovely balcony overlooking Jack London Square. There is a noise like a foghorn that goes every hour throughout the night which is a pain, but you do sort of get used to it. Free wine and cheese are offered from 5-6pm, which is a really nice touch, and everything is within walking distance. If you like craft beer and/or bourbon or pretty much any kind of alcohol don't miss BevMo, just a couple of doors down.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconice over the square or the water are very nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Alhambra, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had to travel to Oakland for a work event, which was being held at the Waterfront Hotel. The hotel was kind of pricy but whatever it was convenient to stay there since my training was being held there. My organization booked my travel and since Oakland is not the safest place in the U.S. I was happy that I didn't have to leave the hotel. With that said, its important that I have room service because of the strict schedule. The hotel staff told me that they had a very limited menu do to a change in restaurant at the hotel. They weren't kidding, the menu was very limited with about 6 items...and for the price of room service it was not good at all. Its hours are limited as well also. I felt kind of sick from the food one night and called down after 9pm to see if they had ginger ale or sprite, and all they had was a vending machine with mountain dew. The guy at the front desk told me that they had water in the lobby, but didn't even offer to bring it up. Whatever...not a big deal because I guess you can walk to other restaurants but again its not that appealing since everything kind of shuts down and well I wasn't about to put myself out there just for a quick bite or a can of soda. The closest restaurants are considered fine dining and if your not in the mood to dress up or on a budget, that might not be convenient for you. I didn't care much about that, but its just annoying having to go out to pick up your food when you have deadlines and schedules to meet. Anyway, they are in the process of expanding that, so that shouldn't be the reason why you don't book here.

They do however, have a good selection of movies that are still playing at theaters, kind of expensive also, but I mean that's what you would probably pay for a movie at a theater. But, their cable kept freezing and I had to call down for someone to come up when I woke up one morning and the cable had gone out. They called an engineer and he fixed it so that the picture would show but it was just weird and would just keep freezing. I gave up on the TV.

Okay so the reason why I probably would not book here again...wait for it....
There is an Amtrak train that goes through Jack London Square, a couple of feet away from the hotel. All night, almost by the hour and the conductor has to honk the horn when it passes intersections which happens to be right next to the hotel. I mean literally next to the hotel! This really sucks...despite how nice the hotel is, that just kills it. When I made suggestions to the staff after I left, the front desk told me that next time I come, ask to be placed in a sound proof room or in an ocean front room. So I guess that's my advice to you...tell them you want a sound proof room or the ocean front room. Either way, I think it sucks for the clients that don't really know how loud that train will be and just opt for a basic room. Because I'm sorry its pretty expensive and having to pay more to have a sound proof or ocean front is not at all convenient or possible. I don't know, next time I have to go up to Oakland for work, I might just skip the ocean view and just go straight to the Marriott for a good night sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a sound proof room or the ocean front rooms to avoid the noise of a train going through your...
Riverbank
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The location of this hotel is good as it's right on the water. There are pretty views of the marina, water and sunsets. The hotel is older...meaning old and loud heat/AC, thinner walls and tired decor in the rooms. The hotel is clean. There are some great eateries around...but limited for safe walking. Parking is valet only- $20 per night - but the retrieval of your car is faster than most places. The Ferry to San Francisco is next to the hotel - so that's nice. The staff is friendly and accommodating If you book a business conference here note that the Regatta rooms are next to a train - and noisy. The conference food is pretty standard and the service good. This place is trying...it's just tired and the area is hit hard by the economy. If you want a room with a bath tub - be sure to ask at booking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!